Is night hunting legal in your state? Roll Call!

MB650c

I just watched Hunting the Night Shift and this looks like a GREAT time. So much that I think it might be time for a road trip next winter.

Lets hear a by state roll call wether spotlighting and shooting from your vehicle is legal for predators. I will start:

Alaska - can not shoot from vehicle or by a road. Can not spotlight. So the answer... NO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

California is legal to spot from the the vehicle but NO shooting from the vehicle. We have two very large zones that are 12v legal for spotting from the truck, remainder of the state is 9v or less and must not be attached to the vehicle. County ordinances may differ.

Pretty liberal laws considering the rest of the country, but it sure would be nice to shoot from the bed of the truck.

Virginia: Yes and No

Night hunting is "legal", as long as you are not shooting from a vehicle or your light is connected to a vehicle. No road hunting either. At least 100yds from any road or inhabitable dwelling.

We use ATV's to get around the farms quickly from stand to stand. Jump off, move out a ways away from the ATV(it's a vehicle). Lightforce, shoulder strapped battery, and take turns shining and shooting.

You can't do it Texas Style in Virginia though.

During the Bobcat season for Bobs, Coons and Coyotes, only in GMU's where no big game rifle seasons are open. Vehicle not included. WA

In NC, coons and possums ONLY. And... no hunting after midnight on Sat. night as it will then be sunday. And... NO SUNDAY HUNTING in NC. With the exception of some military bases that are under the sole control of the military. The state doesn't even set seasons and bag limits on these military bases.

Kansas: No artificial light source allowed.

So, if there's a lot of snow & a bright full moon...you're good to go.
Otherwise, you better stay home if you don't want to spend the night in the pokey.

Minnesota yes shotgun only with light Jan 1st to March 15th
Rifle at night with no light moon only.
coyotes open year around.

vehicle.... NO

Last edited:
New York,you can hunt at night with a light.Off the back of a truck on a road i am not sure,i think you have to be 50 feet or so from a road to shoot.And we do have a closed season.Fox ends in Feb. and cotes ends in march.

I'll help out Beagler here. He's a great guy by the way....

In Pa. we can night hunt coyotes all year long (and daytime, too), nighthunt fox and coons during their respective seasons...with or without lights, our choice.....

John

As long as you do not shoot from a public road or right of way it is all good here in Texas.

It is always a good idea to contact the local game warden ahead of time and let them know you will be out at night.

Colorado, not from a vechicle. On private land with land owner permissiom and public land after big game seasons are over and with a permit from G&F.

Maryland is legal but no shooting from a vehicle whether its moving or not. Night vision is also legal to use in Maryland. Cannot "alight"{jumpout} from a vehicle either and shoot. Law specifies you must be on foot. It is illegal to "cast the rays of an artificial light on a field for the purpose of observing deer" at any time...which means you can get a ticket for turning around in a vehicle at night and letting the headlights sweep across a field!!! Only other legal way to shine a light on a field at night in Maryland other than a legal night hunt for coon, oppossum or fox is to own livestock and prove you are looking at them for some reason. Wasn't always this crazy but we have had alot of poaching. In 2002 I got a ticket for "spotlighting without a firearm" while looking for a bird dog on my own farm that got out of his kennel!! I had my 4 year old daughter in the truck with me and showed the gamewarden the empty kennel. Cost me $50.00

oregon

Bobcat, opossum and raccoon may be hunted with the aid of an artificial
light provided the light is not cast from or attached to a motor vehicle or
boat.

Arizona SUCKS thats a big NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Here in Sweden one of the oldest way to hunt fox is to put up a bait station and shoot the foxes at night.
We can't use artificial lights to see the foxes, so the only way to see them is to hunt those nights when the moon is turned on. And the if you have som snow on the ground it's even better.

Missouri: yes and no

You can use a artifical light if you own or lease the property.

Any other time it is illegal to hunt at night.

Back