Is this a good price for a RRA A4

Weeks,

Your knowledge of and experience with ARs is truly impressive, especially since you have yet to take delivery of your FIRST AR!!!! But I am sure you have put thousands of rounds thru about every AR made, which has given you the experience to make the comments you have made about current brands on the market. Just one of the great things about the internet, you can become a leading expert in any field without ever really doing anything in that field.

There are a lot of good brands out there, I have not shot all of them, and if you compare apples to apples which you choose NOT to do, they are all pretty close to the same price.

Unlike you I am not an AR expert, I have only put about 4300 rounds thru my original RRA that I got 2 yrs ago and my second that I picked up about six months ago. Of course the original one has shot most of those rounds and even though I got it very hot in MT last summer on several occasions, after my kit AR failed me for the second time, it still shoots better than I can. When I bought my first AR I based it on ARs that I had shot and what the guys that shoot thousands of rounds a year at 600 and 1000 yds in competition shoot in a factory rifle. I am not saying it is any better than any other brand but they have worked great for me, without a single problem.

FYI, based on actual experience, I just picked up my third RRA in 2 years. The first two were varmit models with bull barrels, the last is the predator model with RR's 20" match barrel. Each of these rifles I paid less for than you did for the AR that you have yet to receive. And with each of these rifles the longest I had to wait was 3 1/2 weeks, the second one I waited one week. Of course some will say that is a lie cause they have waited longer, and I wish they had not, but, when I look for one I call a lot of high volume dealers who place orders for several RR's before they are ever sold. The dealers know they can sell them as fast as they can get them so they order ahead. If a dealer has had the rifle I am looking for on order for a while, and it is not already sold, I ask them to call me when they get one in, and yes I have been lucky in getting them.

As I stated earlier my experience level is no where near that of yours, I don't think anyone's is, but this has been my experience based on experience not internet reading!!

"With Dtechs' builds you get the SUM broach cut bull Oly barell everyone who has a Dtech raves about for accuracy, which no doubt will shoot better than the stock RRA. As stated previously 20 people may have handled your RRA where as one very good custom gun maker is the only one to touch your Dtech through the whole building process."

"which no doubt will shoot better than the stock RRA"

Comparing apples to apples, I'll bet on the RRA any day.

"where as one very good custom gun maker is the only one to touch your Dtech through the whole building process."

Who do you think made the SUM barrel, cut the threads on it. screwed the extension on and who chambered it, drilled the gas hole? What part of your project do you know anything about? Have you even seen, a rifle built by Mike? You are quick to down grade the RRA's with practically no hands on knowledge of any AR. We offer 2 completely different products. I'm an accuracy rifle smith and cater to those that are willing to pay for that accuracy. Not the cost conscious plinker. You might want to shoot yours before you make a statement like the above. Get off the RRA bashing and this will be the last conversation between you and I. Here's hoping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sorry Mike R, I didn't mean to plagiarise your post. I didn't see it when I wrote mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
If you re sharpen a 1/2" end mill for instance, it will be smaller than 1/2" when done.

So? That's what tool offset is for in any CNC machine. You could replace that 1/2" end mill with a 1/4" and get the same final dimensions.

I'm sure RRA makes some nice rifles, their popularity makes that clear. Would I trade my D Tech for one? Nope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I called Dan Carey the other day and priced a RRA. I think you would be pleasantly surprised with his prices, to say the least.

Quote:
I think you grasp the words and missed the point.

Oh, I thought the point was that RRA either used a brand new end mill for each step of their procedure, or that they didn't experience any tool wear. I guess if you've made precise measurements on their parts and know for a fact that they are holding tighter tolerances than any other manufacturer, they are a superior producer. If you've seen that, just say it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am saying for the same price range you get a very basic RRA you can get a custom build rifle that will shoot lights out. I am not basing my belief off personal thoughts rather proof. I have 2 friends that have RRA's they both like their RRA rifles but in seeing some of the groups Dtech guns shoot they have BOTH said that their rifles will not shoot that well. And these are both military guys with lots of shooting experience and are excellent marksman. As a matter of fact before I started reloading for myself one of them would out shoot me with his RRA. I am sure that those who have them like them they are a AR who wouldn't, but that for the same amount of money as a basic entry level RRA you can get a custom AR rifle that shoots better.

CWeeks how would you know what will and what won't shoot lights out in an AR platform? From what I see in your post you still do not even own an AR. How many rounds have you put down range or in a hunting situation with an AR? How many AR platforms have you used? While I am in no way an expert on AR's I do have a history with HANDS ON experience in the M-16 and the AR-15 platforms. See I started shooting them in 1984 and used them intensley while I served in the Air Force until I retired after Desert storm. I took a break from them until last year when I bought one for predtor hunting. I understand you are excited about getting your first AR and have probably read every publication on AR's. but that does not make you an expert, in fact in your situation you should realize you have ZERO experience with them and should be listening to guys who ACTUALLY own and shoot them until you have actually accrued some HANDS ON experience. In every thread on this board that discusses AR's you have given advice to others who have more experience than you do and infered to them that thier AR's are crap because Mike didn't build them. While I have great respect for Mike and his AR's it does not make them better. You are brown nosing Mike so much that if you ever stop and he keeps going your going to rip your ears off when your head pops out of his butt. I will put my AR up against yours (when you get it) any day of the week, and all I did on the 3 I have bought and put together was have LazyD do a trigger job. I gave this AR to a buddy and he was able to shoot this group at 100 yards with it.
Target.jpg

January92005003.jpg

January92005044.jpg

These are not custom AR's only guns built at home with parts from DPMS and J&T for $700, Nikon glass and all. Just because you jump on a site and ring up 1200+ posts in 5 months it does not make you an expert.
you can pick which one you want to match up against, they will do thier job and I will do mine.

Quote:
but that for the same amount of money as a basic entry level RRA you can get a custom AR rifle that shoots better.

Weeks,
Just cant help yourself can ya, just keep steppin in it.

What is entry level about an RRA A4, I would like to hear your answer oohh great one.

How much did you pay for your D-Tech again?

I would bet 100.00 dollars you couldnt tell the difference between shooting a CUSTOM D-TECH (no offence Mike) and my RRA, if you didnt know which one was which. Well after all you might, mine was new/used inferior equipment, put togather with seconds, and a entry level rifle, According to you that is.

Remember custom rifles are only as good as the guy pulling the trigger, and tight groups on paper only count in matches.

Radd4,
First of all I never claimed to be an expert, the only people who had mentioned that is you folks. Yes I have handled and shot AR's before and if you actually read my posts I never said that any AR is crap, what I did say is that RRA's stock bottom of the line models are over priced for what you get(an opinion). Also what I said is that 2 of my friends that have RRA's they like their RRa's but they both admit that they don't shoot the real tight groups you see other AR's shoot from this sight. Like the Dtechs do.
Also if you read my posts I said that if someone could show me the proof in the pudding that a stock RRA could shoot these real tight of groups for around the same price then I would give props to them and say I was mistaken. Thus far no one has posted any that could compare in price or accuracy for the same price.
I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT OTHER AR'S ARE CRAP. They are all the same platform from the original post if you even bothered to read it what I said was that why would you spend extra money lining the pockets of those you are buying from, for the same amount of gun. In comparison RRA's are more money, but all who own them are happy, even my 2 buddies who are owners of RRA's.
What makes me laugh are posts like this I give an opinion based on evidence of price value and people who own that particular gun, and in return I get people with their panties all in a bunch. I have never said or implied I was an expert what I have stated is evidence that I have found. Take it or leave it, it makes no differnce to me. But what is great about this sight is that you can ask questions and get answers of opinion and you can make your own decision on what you get from everyone. I am not even saying I am 100% right but what I am still saying is if ANYONE can still show me that for the same price as a Dtech you can get a caparably accurate AR I will give props to that company or person who built it. In fact after I ordered my Dtech wingman26 posted a pic of his J&T AR he built that shot fantastic groups.
Bottom line is dollar for dollar Mikes builds are the best you can get. I researched for months about which AR to buy and Mikes name kept coming up for accuracy and value. I couldn't find a better deal for the money quality and dependability so I went with him. And when questions are asked I pass what I have found along to others. Just as everyone else has done for me.

Furhunter,
I paid $903 for mine because I added extras. Shooting them side by side pulling the trigger I bet there isn't much difference, but the accuracy on paper and hunting is where the difference "MAY" lie. And maybe it wouldn't but both people I know that have them shoot good enough groups to get the job done on a yote but the owners both have said that they aren't real tight shooters. Both have the walk into the sporting goods store $900 RRA. No extra's.... I am taking my facts from 2 experienced AR owners, they are both military and both expert marksman for the military. They both love their AR's but for accuracy they admit they aren't the tightest shooters. I don't feel bad about saying that given it is true.
You guys act as if I degraded your first born child, all I have done is presented facts as they are from owners of RRA's,if that offends you sorry BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS. My intent is never to offend anyone or rile you up, I love this site cause everyone has an opinion and there is some great knowledge here. What I find important and useful you may not, and what you find useful and good I may not.
If what you guys need is to belittle others to make yourselves feel better have at it, it reflects your own personal character and values to all who read these posts. This is the only sad thing about this site some can't control themselves, if you don't agree with what I said which you all clearly don't that is fine that is the beauty of an opinion which you clearly have, but I suppose others should not have an honset opinion unless it is on a personal level to try and belittle others. SAD SAD SAD, for the record I am not an expert on AR's just giving an opinion. I honestly believe all you guys are more knowlegable than I and I respect your opinions for what they are, I just wish grown men could disagree without feeling as though it is a personal shot directly at you, it was never meant that way.

Last edited:
Wow, some pretty spirited banter going on here. It's called "brand loyalty". Weeks just dropped some heavy coin on a brand new HDR and he's not unexpectedly, durn proud of it. He'll probably get even more proud after he gets in some trigger time.

It's the classic "my dog's bigger than your dog" thing and we are all guilty of it to a certain degree. We'd live in am awfully boring world if everybody thought or did things the same way. I'm just glad nobody made any negative comment about Bushmaster or I'd be in here slinging mud with the rest of y'all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS. My dad can beat up your dad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Radd4,
First of all I never claimed to be an expert, the only people who had mentioned that is you folks. Yes I have handled and shot AR's before and if you actually read my posts I never said that any AR is crap, what I did say is that RRA's stock bottom of the line models are over priced for what you get(an opinion). Also what I said is that 2 of my friends that have RRA's they like their RRa's but they both admit that they don't shoot the real tight groups you see other AR's shoot from this sight. Like the Dtechs do.
Also if you read my posts I said that if someone could show me the proof in the pudding that a stock RRA could shoot these real tight of groups for around the same price then I would give props to them and say I was mistaken. Thus far no one has posted any that could compare in price or accuracy for the same price.
I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT OTHER AR'S ARE CRAP. They are all the same platform from the original post if you even bothered to read it what I said was that why would you spend extra money lining the pockets of those you are buying from, for the same amount of gun. In comparison RRA's are more money, but all who own them are happy, even my 2 buddies who are owners of RRA's.
What makes me laugh are posts like this I give an opinion based on evidence of price value and people who own that particular gun, and in return I get people with their panties all in a bunch. I have never said or implied I was an expert what I have stated is evidence that I have found. Take it or leave it, it makes no differnce to me. But what is great about this sight is that you can ask questions and get answers of opinion and you can make your own decision on what you get from everyone. I am not even saying I am 100% right but what I am still saying is if ANYONE can still show me that for the same price as a Dtech you can get a caparably accurate AR I will give props to that company or person who built it. In fact after I ordered my Dtech wingman26 posted a pic of his J&T AR he built that shot fantastic groups.
Bottom line is dollar for dollar Mikes builds are the best you can get. I researched for months about which AR to buy and Mikes name kept coming up for accuracy and value. I couldn't find a better deal for the money quality and dependability so I went with him. And when questions are asked I pass what I have found along to others. Just as everyone else has done for me.

Furhunter,
I paid $903 for mine because I added extras. Shooting them side by side pulling the trigger I bet there isn't much difference, but the accuracy on paper and hunting is where the difference "MAY" lie. And maybe it wouldn't but both people I know that have them shoot good enough groups to get the job done on a yote but the owners both have said that they aren't real tight shooters. Both have the walk into the sporting goods store $900 RRA. No extra's.... I am taking my facts from 2 experienced AR owners, they are both military and both expert marksman for the military. They both love their AR's but for accuracy they admit they aren't the tightest shooters. I don't feel bad about saying that given it is true.
You guys act as if I degraded your first born child, all I have done is presented facts as they are from owners of RRA's,if that offends you sorry BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS. My intent is never to offend anyone or rile you up, I love this site cause everyone has an opinion and there is some great knowledge here. What I find important and useful you may not, and what you find useful and good I may not.
If what you guys need is to belittle others to make yourselves feel better have at it, it reflects your own personal character and values to all who read these posts. This is the only sad thing about this site some can't control themselves, if you don't agree with what I said which you all clearly don't that is fine that is the beauty of an opinion which you clearly have, but I suppose others should not have an honset opinion unless it is on a personal level to try and belittle others. SAD SAD SAD, for the record I am not an expert on AR's just giving an opinion. I honestly believe all you guys are more knowlegable than I and I respect your opinions for what they are, I just wish grown men could disagree without feeling as though it is a personal shot directly at you, it was never meant that way.

Blathering Bullcrap, You can throw out you the "if it makes you feel better stuff" but people are laughing at you not because of what we post to you, they are laughing at you because of your posts on EVERY AR thread where you are giving advice on something you have absolutely NO experience in. You do make inferences that other makers are less quality, take a look at the group in that pic, you think you can shoot a better 3 shot group with your NON EXISTANT AR? We have been holding our tounge with you but that time is over.

My "Stock" RRA 16" varminter with an EOP platform was about $925 after it was said and done, with a NM 2 stage trigger. If I had a different scope on it, I guarantee it would be a tack driver, but since it only has a trijicon ACOG 4x32 on it, it only manages to consistantly group .5" 5 shot groups.

While someone else might make a better gun out there, I am happy with a completely factory RRA and know that the gun is every bit as good as the one pulling the trigger.

Quote:
I'm just glad nobody made any negative comment about Bushmaster or I'd be in here slinging mud with the rest of y'all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bushmasters suck, I would never own one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Couldn't help myself, I do like them.

Lucas

I hate bushmasters....if I wanted a snake on a gun, I would put one there....lol

Seriously. I just don't like bushy's...I know they make a fine product though.

"Also if you read my posts I said that if someone could show me the proof in the pudding that a stock RRA could shoot these real tight of groups for around the same price then I would give props to them and say I was mistaken. Thus far no one has posted any that could compare in price or accuracy for the same price."

You said in another post. "shipped to my door for $940" Now you say you paid $903. Are you just mixed up on the cost or is it you are lying and can't remember the lies you tell.

I don't care what your rifle cost. I do know what I sell Top of the line RRA Varmint A4's for, and its less than what you paid. Furthermore, Any A4 will shoot better groups than your rifle.

"Thus far no one has posted any that could compare in price or accuracy for the same price."

I will be in Wyoming in a month hunting PD's and can arrange to come by your place and cover all the money you would like to bet on your dream gun. I will be with 3 others that also shoot RRA's, you can take their money too. So, what's it going to be, big guy? You can only bash a RRA with your mouth, your rifle will never get R done. You had better get your act together weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
Radd4,
I never said that any AR is crap, what I did say is that RRA's stock bottom of the line models are over priced for what you get(an opinion).

No your right, what you said was
Quote:
and let us not forget that if you are getting a RRA for $875 is is either used or not the same type of shooting equipment. Like a bull barell

You have no idea do you. I'll tell ya when I opened the case on my RRA for the first time, seen everything wrapped in plastic, it looked pretty good for a "used" rifle

Quote:
Furhunter,
I paid $903 for mine because I added extras.

Does that include the cost of the lower?

Quote:
You guys act as if I degraded your first born child,

No offence taken, this isnt a brand loyalty thing for me, its a you havnt a clue thing for me. Your talking about things you have no idea about.

Quote:
all I have done is presented facts as they are from owners of RRA's,if that offends you sorry BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Yea based on 2 rifles of which you may or may not be able to tell us what models they are? And do your friends reload for theirs?

You still havnt answered my question
Quote:
What is entry level about an RRA A4,

Your answer is?

You should think more and type less.

Quote:
Dan Carey:
You said in another post. "shipped to my door for $940" Now you say you paid $903. Are you just mixed up on the cost or is it you are lying and can't remember the lies you tell.

I asked the question above about your price because you stated before
Quote:
All RRA's I have seen with a bull barrel are right at $1000 or more. Dtech can build you a custom gun for $749+ lower $94 bucks shipped

So your 903...wait 940....? was with the lower? and parts kit? I think in another thread you said you had over 1000 in the rifle?

you also stated that you have over 1300 in your rifle including scope and rings?

Yup your dog is bigger, this is hilarious stuff. You asked the price of the gun $903, $35 shipping= 938 I'll do the math for you. High school all over again a bunch of tough guys wanting to show everybody that they are always right. I do respect your opinions and I believe your AR shoot as well as you say they do but, nobody has ever said they are crap. No mater what is said or done we will all see it how we see it and that is a good thing.
Radd you are probably right I may have come across to giving advice to some who DO, NO DOUBT have more experience than my limited experience, it is however only an opinion of what I see. Brand loyalty is all this is and who knows when I do have more experience with my brand I may sing a different tune in which case my opinion can change, ya never can tell. But for now based on research I went the way that people on this site told me was the best and the way the I felt was best when it was all said and done. This type of pissing match is endless YOU GUYS NO DOUBT are more experienced (I am being serious) and on my part will leave it at that. Maybe you are right I will leave the opinion giving on AR's to you fellas.

Back