It took some work but got them to commit

fratri

HOMAnimated (1).gif

Got to the farm just before 4 pm.... Was going to call on this farm and then go to another farm down the road but this one kept my attention for the 1hr and 30 minutes I was there.
1st setup.............I started calling and after a few minutes I get some coyotes challenge barking me way out in the distance. I played with them for about 30 minutes. They weren't coming closer so I decided to move closer to them.

2nd setup found me about 300 yds closer watching the bush the coyotes were barking from. My batteries died on my remote and I had to go to my hand calls.... Scream dying rabbit, scream a coyote pup distress the best I can. They (sounds like a few of them) continue to howl, challenge bark me.... Now I am starting to loose light and decide to make the bold move to get closer (almost right up to the main bush)

3rd setup........... I start screaming out again (dying rabbit, pup distress). I still have them challenge barking at me, as I am trying to figure out where they are I look over and one comes out of the bush. It sees me turn for the shot, runs a few yards and stops. I take the shot and I watch it fall over. Rookie move takes place now......

I don't reload but instead just look at the dead mange coyote through my scope..... As I am doing this, another coyote comes out and stands next to his dead buddy. I need to crank my bolt to eject and put a new bullet in, of course at the sound it takes off back into the bush.... :( Could have been an easy double but..................owell....
Enjoy the pics
53471780687_827f6a7e22_c.jpg

53473107650_2b35b2326b_c.jpg

53473113135_b1698bd9a2_c.jpg

53471781117_3e2b400fa7_c.jpg

53471781112_8082401421_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up.
I had a large light colored one charge towards me the other day.
When I barked to try and stop him he did a stutter step and then continued to run right on by.
I tried to stand up to see past some tall brush. I seen him a couple of times 100 yards out in the bushes. I think I blew it by moving. Sometimes you win sometimes you blow it.

Good on you, Frank. (y)(y) Always love it when a plan comes together. Anytime you can keep 'em barking there's a chance to make a move. Thanks for sharing!

That snow looks powdery and quiet. The snow we've gotten here has stayed as long this time as it has in many years. Trouble is it has thawed a little and frozen on top so it sounds like a herd of buffalo when you walk on it. You did a good job of getting that close and sealing the deal. Thanks for sharing.

Back