It's time to go to work...

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyOriginally Posted By: GCTim,
$325-ish... Those are deer #3 & #4 for the year. Killed 3/4 - 1 mile back in a national wilderness area. I gutless debone and quarter them, sack 'em up in game bags and strap them on an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe and pack out to the truck. I shot the one last night with my muzzleloader right at dark. I was solo hunting about a mile from the truck in a particularly rough section of steep Ozark country. Quartered up by headlamp on a starry night and serenaded by owls and coyotes throughout the hike out. Wonderful evening...

I guess the really cool part about that is the works mostly done when you get back home!
thumbup1.gif

The really cool part is not dragging a useless 60% of the animal a long mile over rough, steep country by yourself only to have to dispose of it later at home.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: GC

Yuck... (
smile.gif
) Does it do any work?

Not lately.
cry.gif

Uh oh... Hope you fix that soon my friend!

Menefee! I currently have two Menefee knives, a folder and a fixed. I've owned 3 or 4 others in the past. Rick makes a great knife, congrats. That looks like his "Mule Deer" pattern?

My Menefee folder...

Menefee Semi Skinner... bow kill buck.

I've passed the Semi along but have managed to hang on to my "Little Dumpling" boning knife. The Little Dumpling is a processing machine! If Photobucket would cooperate I'd post a pic of it. The folder and boner have earned permanent residence here.

Yep it's a Menefee.
I'm not sure which pattern it is. It was actually a gift from a good friend who happens to be a member here on PM.
thumbup1.gif

I've never seen a Menefee I didn't like, but this one couldn't have suited me any better if I had written the specs myself.
Dang folders are unreal!

I'd like a nice custom someday. I have a few issues though: 1st... is I'm pretty picky on blade patterns and how they feel in the hand. 2nd.. Without getting to handle them first,it's harder to decide. 3rd... The cost factor, based on 1 & 2.

Tim you're an experienced guy, you know what works best for you and appeals to your eye. Look over some craftsmen that are known quantities. Guys like Ingram, Dowell, Menefee, May, Winston and Dozier. If you can't find a pattern that looks good to you and that suits the work you intend it for I'd be highly surprised. Don't forget a good maker can and will accommodate your needs if it's something they don't already offer. I've bought knives that I thought I'd like and decided I wanted to try something else. I sell whatever and order from the maker or buy from a few guys I know of and try whatever new pattern has caught my eye. Along the way I find blades that I can't live without and they earn a permanent place in the rotation here.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeMy biggest trouble besides paying for them, is do I want some really super nice wood or synthetic something ?

That decision might be partially dictated by the intended job, however I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeMy biggest trouble besides paying for them, is do I want some really super nice wood or synthetic something ?

That decision might be partially dictated by the intended job, however I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Well Gary, I bought my first Ingram about a month or 2 back. Sold a bunch of stuff to pay for some reloading tools and had a little left, so I took the plunge.
tongue_smilie.gif

Those are some fine knives GC and I love that you use them.

Tim, synthetic maybe more practical, but I've never been accused of that so for me wood always wins out.

Oh, and congrats on making the plunge. You'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeFixed sodbuster pattern with carbon fiber scales

Sounds like a dandy! Congrats on your Ingram, look forward to some pictures of it at work for ya!

Thanks!
I can't post pics right now,as google dropped support on my windows system. Need to find a 4 th grader to help me fix my computer..
blush.gif

I do have email pics however..

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThanks!
I can't post pics right now,as google dropped support on my windows system. Need to find a 4 th grader to help me fix my computer..
blush.gif

I do have email pics however..

Back