Just purchased.. A savage 11 in 204.

Im taking it out tomorrow. I really need to buy a new scope for it.I had trouble getting a zero off of a shooting rest. So Idk what the problem is.

I usually aim for the heart/lung area just behind the front leg similar to when I Deer Hunt....shooting into the shoulder may cause more hide damage from splintering bones?I have shot a few Coyotes straight on chest shot with decent results,head shots are optional when You can't see their body completely and just don't want to loose it!

Worse shot I've ever made was too low because of tall grass and it literally gutted/field dress the Coyote using Winchester 32 grain bullets,Killed it Dead but it wasn't an ideal shot.All my other Coyotes I shot were pretty well broadside with good shot placement,small entry wound and no exit wound!

I'll post pictures later. But It was more like it wasn't getting 3" groups..

Thats my Three round group at 50yds... From a bench rest

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xLuckorSkillThe more I read the more I'm convinced It's the scope and not the weapon.

Was it the combo with the Nikon scope? I'm sure the gun is capable of better accuracy than that. That is mini 14 pattern
unsure.gif

Im not sure what it was combo'd with. But What was on it when I purchased the rifle was a cabels 223 scope. I read reviews on that scope and they are pretty much garbage. Several people having the same problem as me. I ordered a Millet to try. Hope it gets here fast.

Just needs to be broken in ......

In the meantime ....... sell me the scope cheap and I'll give it a whirl!

My used .204 sporter and my bull blued .204 run .3" with handloads off of a model 11 ...... I did change to an target accutrigger and target sear but run it at 14 oz.

Three 44s

I bought a Savage Trophy XP combo in the 204 and in a 243. I had issues with the 243 and the Nikon scope that came on it. I had the scope swapped out to another package Nikon and still had issues. I have since purchased a Vortex scope and replaced the Nikon. I have not had time to put a bunch of rounds through it, but it seems to have helped.

I haven't had a chance to put alot of rounds downrange with the 204 yet either, But with the Hornady 32 grain Vmaxes, accuracy was around an inch, which was not as good as I had hoped for, but still acceptable for a factory round and rifle.

I believe I need to get more rounds fired out of both of these before making final judgement. I have owned and still own several other Savage rifles, and have been extremely happy with the accuracy of all of them except these 2 particular rifles.

mine is the trophy xp with the Nikon and it is incredible with 40 grain superformance! if I could figure out how to post pics I would love to. my worst group is around 3/4"!

Last edited:

these are the groups I shot in order with the superformance. 100 yards from the bench.
Thanks for the help Lucky.

Last edited:
xLuck.... My Savage wearing a Prostaff 5 .... 35g Berger handloads @ 100yds ... the factory 32g VMax @100yds .... pumpkins hate .204 Rugers(32g vmax) ...

Mailmanmark. I'm in love with that paint job. Great shooting. Few more days and my new Millet scope should be here. Then I hope to show you guys some decent groups!!

Back