killing trapped animals

Why have a site, like this.
Why post any pictures or tell a hunt story or ask questions.
Why hunt/trap/kill, own firearms or any weapon.
Why...Why

Same old argument....Anti's, this, Anti's that. There will always be Anti's. No matter how much...is or isn't discussed/cussed or done by hunters/trappers/ firearm/weapon owner's/user's, ect.

Some may say or think, they can covert these people. Perhaps thats possible with a minute few. Who's kidding, who.

Frankly, I don't give a rats carcass for "Anti" hunters/ trappers or firearm owners. Et I'm not or will ever be in the "mood" to sway their pacifistic[perfect, fuzzy World mentality]. Ever.

They don't like what I do or say. They are welcome, to come change me.

BTW, thump them on the head[I used Nunchacku-Sticks, made from a Hickory wood closet pole]]. Almost forgot about the question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Kirby-I sent you a PM to explain how anti's will and have used these statements against you. Trappers all over this country are losing their ability to use legholds, snares, etc., due to arguments raised by anti's. So I would rather not feed them info to be used against me. I would like to trap for a few more years and teach my children how to trap. We can still talk without giving them bad info to use against us.

Being from the state of nj where we can't kill bears or morning doves the anti people are going to take what ever they find and add a bunch to it then turn it around and say something that the public will listen to just because we as outdoors men do not stand for our rights.

we shoot or blunt force and teach both in the courses. Our trappin course is 2 days long and a must to get a lic. in our state under 18 can not carry a 22 rifle for trappin and we can not carry hand guns at all. so we have to teach blunt force to keep the younger trapper out of trouble

the anti just wants to stop trapping and they will do and say anything.

With that being said it is always better to be on the quite side and watch what we say. then again they will just make somthing up then LOL

Hey Fellas

When I started trapping over 40 years ago, I was taught that coyote, fox, cats, can be smacked on the bridge of the nose and it will knock them out cold, (It really works! I use my trappers trowel to smack them with) then I place a foot behind the front shoulder, applying my body weight to stop the breathing and the heart, in a minute or two it is done. I place my other foot on it's neck behind the head just incase to protect yourself. I have never had one come to, before the deed was done.
No blood left at your set pattern area.
I won't even start about the Anti's!!!!!!!

CJW

trapwv,

Here's my take; I follow the "Law". I've trapped, fished, hunted, target shot. Owned many types of weapons & firearms. As these are things I've enjoyed in life.

No doubt, there are/were/is...people/groups. Who are of the belief that these things are ALL wrong, evil or whatever. I've seen my share of all types of people. Most people are indifferent or only care about what they believe are important [ethical] in THEIR rosey/pristine life.

Fact is [most] people will watch you choke to death on a piece of food in a restuarant. Or watch your house burn down, w/o @ a minumum summoning for help [Fire Dept].

Most people have their minds made up on many issues in life @ an early age. Little change in belief's in a person's life in their latter yrs. Slight modifying of beliefs @ best.

"Please share", what [words or pictures]of hunting/trapping, fishing, or weapon owning, ect. That you believe would satisfy these Anti's, in their quest to abolish them all.

I WILL NOT, cater to anyone who doesn't like what I do legally, whether hunting/fishing, ect.

I'am as strong willed a person, as they come. I will not yield.

Last edited:
I am glad you have strong beliefs and enjoy trapping, hunting, and other outdoor adventures. I also enjoy these things and I have a strong belief that trapping and hunting are good and true. Stick to your guns and your beliefs. I would just rather not give ammo to my enemy. I would rather get them to try to at least understand why these things happen. I hope to not loose the things we legally enjoy now because what is legal this season may not be legal next. Ask Redneckspride what they have lost in Jersey over the last 20yrs. I have approximately 300 #1 longsprings from New Jersey. Picked them up cheap when trappers up there had to sell them and salvage some of their loss. Take care all, wish you many morning catch circles.

Here is my rant on the subject:

MikeG, YellowH, and Kirby you guys are right.

TrapWV, the antis are already (always) against trapping and hunting.

When someone politely asks if you hunt you better be ready to reply with: (politely) why, yes I do hunt. Who does your killing for you? Safeway or Albertsons?

Now, if they are an [beeep] about it as if in yelling or giving you a look of discus. You can add the every popular “Who the F--- does your killing for you? Please tell me, you have never eaten a McDonald’s hamburger.

Now, for trapping. Know why you trap? Why do you trap? As one who fought in the trapping wars of the (---) state of Washington (We lost, but more on that latter) and I will give my opinion on cowering or speaking out

When you are out (anywhere, anti trappers have a table or booth at any public gathering, county fair, public markets) trying to promote pro-trapping be prepared for the [beeep]-h who comes up yelling so everyone around can hear him. “How would you like to have your foot caught in a trap and someone walks up to you and shoots you in the head.

Instead of standing there looking stupid and stunned, with you mouth open, say something. How about something, like I would much rather die a quick death than get hit by a car and left struggling along the side of the road. Are we going to outlaw cars? I would rather die quickly than from starvation or disease. How many animal died plowing that feild for your cotten shirt, What animal died for your leather shoes?

Yep, we got out butts kicked, we lost trapping with leg hold and body gripping traps. The public did not want to listen to LOGIC, SCIENCE or PROFESSIONAL WILDLIFE BIOLOGESTS. Public opinion was swayed by the anti’s advertisements (and guess what, the pictures they were using were never taken in this state. They even admitted it, but it didn’t make a difference. Washington has the ballot initiative system trapping was put to a vote and we lost. We tried being low key and politically correct IT DOES NOT WORK. Speak out! To fight this you have to control the votes in the areas with the most populations.

So, we can trap, but with live traps only. You have an animal in a trap, what are you going to do with it? You are still going to kill it. What does a live beaver trap cost 275.00-375.00. How many of those traps are you going to leave lying around in the woods? Have you ever hauled a bunch of live traps?

Remember, the animals are still reproducing. So, now we have a nuisance wildlife control (nwco) program where trappers get state certified to take out the problem animals. You can request a special permit to use more lethal means= foot hold or conibear trap, but if an animal is taking by this means you can not keep the animal. You have to waste it, by burying or trashing it.
Yes, we have over population problems and with the rural / urban environments there is never going to be a true carrying capacity scenario...

Note. Prior to loosing trapping we lost hound hunting for bear and cougar and bobcat we also lost baiting for bear. Again through public vote and the higher population area Seattle, Tacoma, people who have nothing to do with hunting and trapping voted against hunting and trapping while the rural areas voted for it.

We got semi organized after the hound thing, but not enough to save trapping. Yes, hunting could get voted out of existence, but probably won’t because of money. There is too much money generated by hunting and fishing that to end it would be pretty much kill off a government agency the state fish and wildlife.

Additionally, some say the anti’s really don’t want hunting totally ended. If hunting was gone they would lose there funding (money) they depend on those checks from the marginally informed coming in. They would not have a livelihood if there was no hunting, fishing or trapping.

CoyoteJohnWilson, I too was taught the snuff method of killing animals. It was fox when I lived in Alaska. Tap them across the nose with a stick (unlike domestic animal they can’t stand it) they keel over and then place you foot on its chest and press down essentially keeping the fox from breathing. In this method you truly take the animal’s life. I do not think I would do this with Lynx, bobcat, or coyote.
Oh, by the way as part of the nwco program they did provide scientific data on almost all the means of killing a trapped animal and the best/quickest was a .22 short to the head. Paul

yeah we lost alot when it comes to the leg trap. we still have the snare and other tools. every trapping course I give I have to ask if there is any anti trapping folks there, I tell them that when they come back the next day they will see a animal die and they will have to skin. You may laugh but just about evey class and I give (3 or 4 a season in th south zone)there is always someone that does not come back, like the 60 year old lady, or the guy that is staying to him self and takin notes in the wrong clothes.

When we lost the foot trap in 1985 there was 200 at the state house fighting to keep the leg trap. I remember seeing pic's of raccoons in leg traps in a city setting. dogs with one foot missing and so Forth all staged to make trapping look bad. the anti's told untruths and the sportsmen did not set them straight. we lost because as spotsmen we was divided and each was on a self mode.

right now we are fighting a battle with again untruths from anti's but this time the sportsmen are together or getting together. we are faceing not how something dies but infact that it dies. they want to change our management to non leathal methods. they claim that our methods are for people to kill not to protect.

so you see I see both sides of this debate. we need to be smart and not show or talk as to not offend but also we must stand up for what is truth.

A fox smacked on the nose and then stepped on the rib knocks the fox out then stops the heart with in 30 sec's to a min at most. very fast! Blunt force trauma! a shot to the head also a form of blunt force trauma, shot to the rib cage into heart and lungs shock force and hemorage also fast and a shot to the back of the brain at the brain stem.

No diferent than a injection of ketamen/azlazine (spelling sorry) that the vet gave to my horse last week to put down. took a min to put him down and another 90 sec's for the heart to stop.
the above when done properly is approved methods by most vets, but not to the antis no death is ok by man to animals.

But we can have abortions that's ok! But don't shake a goose egg.

Death is death! all living things live and then die not our law but GODS LAW. We can not change it! we as spotsmen and spotswomen accept this. others do not.

the key is spots people must stand together

I learned to trap from my old school friend. He learned from a well known, old county trapper. I trapped on & off over the yrs. I quit many yrs ago. To focus more on coyote hunting.

My friend would thump them[canines] with an axe handle. I also used a Ruger 22 revolver. I preferred thumping.

Unfortunately, most people...specifically "Law Makers" are not or were not trappers, hunters, fisher's, ect. That IMO, is the major downside for those who do. When wanting supportive laws.

Some politicians, are subject to being swayed by zealots, who don't have a clue. That is the FIGHT. Not other trapper's, hunter's, fisher's or people, who use or own weapons/firearms/traps, ect.

Educate the politicians.

Yep, With this voter initiative process you can have educatd politicians, but if the general populous is swayed by the zealots then the vote is approved trapping ends (or to live traps) and the politicians can not do anything about it.

I have pros and cons on the voter iniatiative. It is good when we vote down tax because of stupid spending. Blows when it came to trapping.

Thats why I wish we could leave wildlife management up to professional biologest and not manage by popular vote.

Threewolves-You've got me all wrong! I am more vocal than anybody I know. But I am careful what I blurt out. If someone asks me how I can walk up to an animal with a foot in a trap and shoot it in the head, I will answer because that is a quick humane death and explain why these animals must be controlled. Not stand with my mouth open or start cussing at the guy. I've done this many times because everybody knows I am a trapper. I don't hide it and I love to tell people why I trap. If someone asks me if I smack them on the head, I can say no. But I will continue to tell them that it can be the most humane way to dispatch some animals and why. I am not saying be quiet, I am saying to be careful what you say. Sorry for rambling on, I hope I got my point across.

Last edited:
That's the exact same way I was taught to dispatch animals from my father. Quick smack on the nose and step and the ribcage. Easy and quick....

JEV

shoot em in the head with a 22 short...any hide buyer that wants to deduct for that is nuts..pack your furs and find someone new..Quick, humane, no penalty..The time you spend bashin or waitin for an animal to die is less time spent resetting traps or doing other productive work. As for cleaning up a little blood..who doesnt comb the hide at least once anyway? thats al it takes.

I wanted to start trapping this year so I bought a havahart trap 36"long 10"wide and 12"high.Im gonna buy a bigger live trap soon but I will most likely use it next year since bobcat season is almost over.Anyways I have caught two bobcats this year and I let one go because it was pretty small so Im gonna let it grow up a little so I can catch it next year.It lives in a barn on some land that my grandpa owns and Im sure it will stick around.But the one that I killed I shot with a 22 pistol right behind the shoulder.I was using CCI Quickshocks and killed it just fine.I didnt want to shoot it in the head cause Im gonna have it mounted but shooting them behind the shoulder seems to kill them just as quick as shootin them in the head.

The best on cats is a catch pole pulled tight and a heel to a coyote's chest, and break a fox's neck, no bloody mess, just more worry about fleas on the heeling. T.20

i saw a study on TV!! a few years back about whacking baby seals on the head with those long bats. what was the most humane way to kill them. they tried diff. ways and the bat was the winner!! when people tell me that the seal hunt is wrong and it is such a waste!! i ask where all the dead seals are from last year??? somthing eats them so they don't go to waste! most say. i never thought of that!! when my wife talks to people ( mostly female) about hunting, she tells them about seasons and who puts out the $$ for helping all wildlife and most never knew about the good of hunting! keep on trapping guys!!

Back