Ladder hunting / ladder stand

Originally Posted By: rizzoBut if you should decide to lay your camo ladder down and come back later, don't forget where you put it - right, Webopper?

Amen to that Glen...losing your brand new, freshly painted ladder in the brush would suck. Hauling out the bobcat, not so much suck...LOL

Originally Posted By: Kenny_Borel Do you have any pics of just tripod. I'd love to see it. That looks great!!!

I had a chance to see this one in action. Very sturdy, and amazingly light weight. If he could mass product that thing, I think he would have a winner on his hands there...

I'm a little late to the game on this one, but this is a great thread. I'm currently trying to figure out tactics on hunting in the thick jungles of the Cascades and Coast Range around the Portland, OR area, and have been pointed toward some ladder use. I am used to hunting Eastern, OR (big flats, sage and Juniper), but tactics have to be changed for my new neck of the woods. Props to all you guys sharing your tips with ladder hunting. Once I get some funds, there will be a ladder project in my future...really like the tripod design...wonder how much it weighs?

hey guys! ladders work just as well here in alabama as they do in arizona...
downsize-1.jpg

killed this gray early this morning on a hardwood bluff. even in fairly clean hardwoods, the elevation helps see over the small ridges and humps in the terrain. it's very handy in cutovers and briarpatches. elevation is a premium in the thick stuff.

I procrastinated too long. should have tried this years ago. my daughter gave me a 6ft wooden step ladder for Christmas this year. i painted the camo in about an hour and half. been hunting with it for a month avg 20 stands per week. love it. recommend it.

6' fiberglass painted to match the AO. $49.00 at Wal-mart. I put a couple eye bolts in mine and attached a shoulder carry strap. Easy cheezy...

Does the ladder pose a problem trying to get it to sit level?
Anyone know appx weight of a 4foot ladder?
I was thinking maybe trying to weld up a modified tripod out of 1"quare tubeing dont know what the weight difference would be but thought it might be easier to get stable on uneven ground. Maybe a ladder type front profile with a mono leg in the rear.
Anyone else attempt this pros cons? designs that worked or didnt and why?

Thanks

Not really. Sometimes finding level ground can be tough, and a few times I've just sat it down nearby and done a stand from the ground like normal. For the most part I know what I'm walking into when I pack my ladder in, so I can usually find a good spot for it.

There's a user here that has made some tripod designs - both myself and Webopper have used them, and they work pretty well. IM me if you're interested in his contact info or more info on the tripods.

Back