Ladders

Rizzo, just finished reading your book (from Amazon). Being 1 yr into this (10 stands, no kills yet but called some nice bobcats & coyotes) I really liked reading your book. Now are you hunting near Prescott or Chino, I couldn't quite place some of the pics in your book.

Originally Posted By: AZcayoteWill I fall over backwards shooting .30-06? I don't care. I'll do it anyway.

If you balance all of your weight on your butt, YES, shooting a 30-06 will knock you backwards off the ladder. The trick is to transfer a lot of your weight to your feet before you shoot. This lowers your center of gravity so the recoil won't knock you off. A lot of ladder people use 12 gauge shotguns. The bigger danger to falling over is having a ladder leg sink into a rodent hole after you climb up and get comfortable
cry.gif
. Be careful!

Originally Posted By: MAUMAUI am sure many remember Andy who unfortunately passed away last year.

Andy was a huge fan of ladder's and was very successful in his quest for Coyotes in Arizona.

If I remember right, Andy Hines also got a Mt. Lion with his ladder. It was a definate tool in his hunts. I never met Andy, just recalling from his posts. R.I.P. Andy

A three legged ladder would be ideal as they are easier to level and manipulate. I used 10-14 ft three leged ladders in my apple orchard years ago. Wider at the base and tapered up toward the seat. Very stable.

I hunt almost exclusivly off my ladder, it's awesome, the best part IMO is my shooting platform I have I'm confident to 400 yds.

If you practice falling off a few times then you'll find out it's easy to handle. And fursniper is right - rat holes are your enemy! I have never actually had a rifle or shotgun push me off my ladder, but I've seen it happen. No biggie, you can land on your feet.

Oh and Rob_S, you've got a PM.

400 yards with a rifle off a ladder? I want some of whatever you're drinking.

As I have said many times, a ladder will open the desert up to a hunter who sits on a stool or even stands. The hazards of ladder hunting are far outweighed by the benefits. As long as the hunter insures the ladder is level and on firm ground there is nothing to worry about. You wont fall off your ladder because of your firearm's recoil. Those who feel uneasy on a ladder to begin with should probably pass. Practice going up and down your ladder with a firearm in the backyard on the grass a few times before going out into the field.

Those in AZ that want an in depth explanation of the ins and out, ups and downs of ladder hunting, I will be giving a seminar on it at the next Arizona Predator Hunters meeting.

The meeting is held on the second Thursday of the month at 7PM in the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #9 at 1450 East main street. The FOP Lodge is on the North side of Main Street between Stapley and Gilbert Road in Mesa.

ladderpicture13.jpg

Scott, I'l have to show you my set up next time I see you hunting, the varmint R700 I use helps too, but it's mostly in the rest I built for my rifle.

I would agree that ladders are very dangerous, I had a buddy that fell off his ladder and broke some metacarpuls(sp?) in his hand.

Wal-mart has a green fiberglass lightweight 6 foot ladder on sale for $43.00. I'm finding that very tempting for some of the areas I was scouting yesterday.

Quote:Will I fall over backwards shooting .30-06? I don't care.
I don't think that you will. I shoot 3.5 inch Dead Coyote loads off the top of mine with no problem. I'm 6'1" and weigh about 175. I bought mine off of Craigs list. I got a 6 foot and a 4 foot for 20 bucks. If you are a bigger feller Kodiak61 is ??? lbs
smile.gif
and has no problem. Like Scott and others have said it opens up a new world. Places that you might have thought were too thick are open to you now. It's almost the best thing since sliced bread.

Originally Posted By: AZcayoteSeems almost an Arizona thing.

I'm not a ladder guy (yet), but if you think about it, it makes sense here in AZ as the hight of a ladder is almost perfect for getting just above the sage and cactus without getting so high you are skylined. Open areas don't need a ladder cause you can already see for miles. Forrest or thick areas, you can't really get above the trees with a ladder, and guys are staying low to see as much area and shooting lanes as you can. Desert area seems like the perfect spot for them...

anybody using a ladder here in the southeast? i know some guys that are using portable climbing tree stands with great success. but i'm really not interested. i lugged a climbing stand over half of creation when i was younger and chasing whitetails. i might could justify the added weight to my set up, but i make too much noise getting a climber into place. i'm thinking a lightweight ladder just might be a good compromise. but the bulk causes me hesitation. if anyone is using them in terrain similar to what i hunt here in north alabama, i'd be very interested in your input. thanks

Back