Largest animal CLEAN kill you've made with a .223 ??

I agree with a lot of the others. I use my various 223s for pack dogs and coyotes down. A 6mm bullet is the minimum I would consider for game animals, however, the farmers and ranchers I hunt with in east central Montana don't hesitate to use a 22 on Mule deer down. I've seen my hunting partner drop a big mule deer doe at 120+ yards and a doe antelope at over 360 yards with a single round from his Ruger 77 in 223. One round for each and they dropped without a twitch.

Quote:
This was a real simple post to answer ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Some of you are acting like a bunch 6 year olds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Tim

Thank you Tim. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I couldn't agree more.

I could have cared less what anyone's thoughts were about the .223 being ethical or not. In my mind...that's a personal choice.

I just wondered what had been killed cleanly with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Now after reading this and a couple of other threads on the .223 it appears to be one of the following:

A) A capable round within it's limit for anything between whistlepig to smallish deer sized animals.

or

B) A round with no proven ability and completely inadequate for penetrating even the remaining fur on the mangiest of coyotes let alone knock it down.

Has the .223 become the new .17hmr?

many pigs with the 223..........here's one that I shot with my 204 and a 35gr Berger.
It is all about shot placement.
Kelly

100_0576.jpg

I have killed neumerous one shot kills of whitetail average weights of 130 to 150 with a 22 hornet and a few even with 22 lr I have a 30-06 I usually use but I wouldnt think twice about taking my 223 its all about shot placement just get this dvd from barnes bullets to see the truth

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/free-dvds/

only take what your comfortable with and never under any circumstance make a rush or snap shot

mine would have to be the mighysauras /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif oooooh that hurt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Hidalgo,

I have personally never shot a deer with a .223, but I carried one alot this year at one of the places I hunted. I wouldn't think twice about shooting an animal up to the size of a WT deer with a .223.

Put down an injured pronghorn with my 22 K-Hornet a couple of years ago. Called Game Warden, he couldn't get out there, and asked me to put it down. 50 yards running away, 45 gr Rem SP behind right shoulder, out chest. DRT
Mark

Yes bullet placement...blah blah, I shoot cows with a 22 long when they need put down....works great if you DON'T shoot them between the eyes, got to cross the opposite eye to the opposite ear (about 3 inches above between the eyes)

Back to the 223. Last fall I went to WI and took my Bushmaster shooting 55gr HP. I hunted with two guys that had a 45-70 and a 300WSM. They both killed one, I got 5. Some were running shots and the only one that needed a follow up shot was shot in the upper fore arm and wasn't fatal. Second shot was between the ears. Range averaged 180yds.

DD

Quote:
many pigs with the 223..........here's one that I shot with my 204 and a 35gr Berger.
It is all about shot placement.
Kelly

100_0576.jpg

What part of oklahoma is comanche in? It would be fun to get a hog that size much less see one.

Never, ever had a runner with using my .223 on deer. I don't know how many killed, dozens.

Coyotes are a different matter. I have some runners with them. Using a 55 gr ballistic tip at 3000 fps.

I attribute that to taking moving shots as coyotes are coming in, and not having enough time to really aim like I do with bigger animals.

One thing is that I'm very careful with shot placement on larger game. If I don't KNOW it will fall right there, or the shot isn't pristine, I'll not shoot.

With coyotes, it's a different story. I kill them for predation. So, a wounded coyote is better than a coyote that gets off scot free......That said, I would much rather kill everything I shoot at with a bangflop.

As mentioned before here, if you have not had coyotes run, then you have not hunted them much. No matter what you use.

I'll keep on banging at them with my AR in .223....

When I was a kid I went to a movie about hunting around the world. One part of it was about the Eskimos hunting seals,walrus ,and polar bears. They were using .222s for everything. Yes, they got VERY close and put the bullet in an exact place . It was stated that it was the minimum needed to take these animals and still be reloaded with hand tools while using small amounts of power , costly bullets , ect . Yes they made every shot count as their lives and that of their dogs relied on the kill being quick and clean. The narator remarked on his choice for this work being larger size calibers but they did it every day there. I think a lot of people would be surprised how fast and effective the smaller rounds can be but like a bow and arrow , you have to use them in thier effective range . I have bow killed many deer that shocked me how few seconds it took (as little as 10 some times) to put the deer on the ground and stone dead motionless . I would never underestimate any center fire under a 100 yrds on and game deer size on down. SM

1badshee - PM sent. I got a buddy that can hook you up.
Comanche is about 90 miles south of OKC.

I don't hunt pigs, most of the folks I hunt on want them gone and I pop em when I can.
Kelly

Quote:
Quote:
This was a real simple post to answer ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Some of you are acting like a bunch 6 year olds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Tim

Thank you Tim. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I couldn't agree more.

I could have cared less what anyone's thoughts were about the .223 being ethical or not. In my mind...that's a personal choice.

I just wondered what had been killed cleanly with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hidalgo..........You knew exactly where this post was going. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Mike's right,,,You are a bad bad boy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Carry On /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back