Lead Sled experiences, please?

GaryO

As I approach 70 years of age, I find myself becoming more and more sensitive to recoil. Even the moderate calibers like the 7-08 beat on me to the point where range sessions these days are limited to about a dozen shots. I have noticed some folks using the Caldwell Lead Sled device with good results. Can any of you folks that have actually used one share your experience, please? Thanks...

Best rest I've ever used. Most of the time I'm shooting .22 or .24 centerfires and I don't even use a lead bag since the sled itself is so heavy. Never used more than one lead bag on it, but it'll hold two. Biggest caliber I've shot off it is a .300 WSM. I have the dual rail model that can hold an AR.

I also love the lead sled. I use mine for zeroing rounds from 22-250 through 350 Rem Mag and it is a great tool. I have to admit to being recoil shy and the lead sled helps me get real, solid, groups every time.

I've used the AR type quite a bit. Pretty good rig but technique really does make a difference. I've shot a lot of super groups with it but I've shot plenty without it. They do have issues on short coupled guns IMHO.

I haven't used the big one for bolt guns though the have had one for about a year I'll bust it out on a month or so for a shakedown.

Greg

I have the one that accepts the ARs

It's great.. I take it to the range and use a wagon (hey, i have kids and more stuff to haul to the benches to shoot than hands)
I take the sled and use a couple of bags of lead shot to hold it down..

I like it for load development and scope zeroing.

It just holds the gun super steady, and removes all shotting veriables and as long as the wind isn't blowing, i know if the groups are good or not.

It's also great for zeroing and usually only uses 2 shots.
I set the sked and have the gun in tight, bore sight. I then make sure the scope is pointing right at the center of the target. I then fire off the first round, and then reset the gun and re-align the scope to center. Find the hole from the shot, and then turn the knobs until it's lined up on the hole from the first shot.
Readjust gun to point at center of the target and fire again. Usually dead on. But some small adjustments may be neccessary.

I only use mine for load testing since I find that trying to conform my body around it for shooting to be very uncomfortable...

I strap the sled to the stable bench and then use a second strap to secure the rifle to the sled..I just cinch the second strap tight enough to keep the rifle in the upright position for maintaining the sight picture, so that all I have to do is trip the trigger...

I'm more of a "Tactical" shooter than a Benchrest shooter and tend to adapt my shooting positions to the conditions present at the time...My biggest problem is when I attempt to shoot from the Prone position..Since I've lost most of my generous belly, lying down is not the problem that getting back up is...

My one and only experience with the Lead Sled was not like all of you have described. I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery and knew that I could not handle any recoil whatsoever, so a friend loaned me his so I could check the zero on my deer rifles. I hated the darn thing, and found it much more difficult for me to shoot off of than my regular rig. My shooting setup is a Caldwell Rock for the front and two sand bags for the rear. I can steady my rifle really good, and it just feels a lot more natural to me than the Sled does. I have never had a problem getting good groups with this setup. The only drawback is that you do feel some recoil, and that is a problem with my bad shoulders. So, I have thought about giving the Sled another try, just haven't got to that point yet.

My main complaint about the sled is that, even at it's lowest settings, it's pretty tall. With some bench setups, that can be a problem.

I will not use for final sight in,several of my rifles have a point of impact differance from my lead sled plus and the harris bipods I use for most shots.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI will not use for final sight in,several of my rifles have a point of impact differance from my lead sled plus and the harris bipods I use for most shots.

I use Harris bipods and haven't observed any difference. I always adjust the length so the front of the rest centers at the front stud.

Since I got mine last year, I don't know why I never got one before. As was expressed even my 300 WSM is fun for load development and sight in. I especially like it on sight in for 2-300 yard.
You won't be disappointed. Only thing like Stu said you will need either pack bearers or wagon to the range. Lots of heavy equipment. Never tried the ty downs, will have to do that. Carrying a couple of shot bags out is heavy for an old man like me.

I take a cushion seat with me to the range to make me sit higher. I use the Lead Sled DFT or dual frame technology. It will accept the AR15 with the 10 or 20 shell magazine.

I use two Caldwell 25 lb lead weight bags and then also strap the lead sled down to the bench with ratcheting straps. I also use another strap with Velcro to hold the end of the AR15 onto the back end of the Lead Sled.

I'm more concerned with zeroing the rifles in on the target than countering the recoil as the AR15 does not kick that much for me. And it's a little uncomfortable trying to get a cheek weld on the AR15 retractable back end. Collapsible stocks are good.

I use the Caldwell DFT lead sled to get better groups to prove to me what the rifle is capable of when held still. I can't shoot that well free hand.

the little range we've been using lets us back the truck right up to the bench, only have to carry stuff a few feet. I'd like to try a lead sled, I can see it being of help during load development.

I use one for load development and initial sight in. I to have seen a change in point of impact when I go to my bipod or sticks so I always check it. I don't feel like I get a true sight picture when using the sled so maybe for me it is a parallax issue, not sure but I learned the hard way to check my guns.

drscott

I bought one quite a few years back. My complaint is that the adjustment screw is loose and when you're trying to sight in on a 1" bench rest target the thing wobbles. So I took some teflon tape, the kind plumbers use, and wrapped it around the adjusting screw to tighten it up. It works better but now all I use it for is sighting in my 7mm Rem mag.

It's heavy and shipping would be expensive or I would sell it.

I have seen it crack stocks behind the receiver with high caliber firearms. Such as 338 win mag in Ruger no. 1 if a lot of weight in sled.

I really like my Lead Sled,sighted all my Rifles in with it then shot the Rifles on a regular rest to make sure everything was spot-on.As mentioned it sits a little high while shooting a Rifle on the Sled but I just get a seat cushion or kneel down on the shooting bench to be a level with it and each time I'm at the Range others have borrowed it and were happy with the results of lower recoil and more accuracy from using it.I usually put 2 bags of weights on it and even sight in my smaller caliber/lower recoil Rifles on it as well just because it helps steady everything and it holds the Rifle more secure & tight!

Last edited:
Back