Leapers Scopes

Crowsniper.17HMR

I am looking to buy the Leapers Mosin-Nagant 6-24x50 Full Size Mil-Dot Scope...any thoughts? I refuse to pay out the ##@$ for glass for my Savage 22-250. Only reply if you have had "first hand" experience with these scopes. I have the CenterPoint 4-16 and love it....while most people hate it and never owned one. So speak from experience or don't speak at all please.

Last edited:
what do you consider paying out the ...? What is your budget. your Savage is probly extremely accurate, like most of them are, and would benifit from at least a decent scope.

Personally i refuse to buy crap glass, as i find it is counterproductive. That is not to say that i buy high dollar stuff every time. There are some very decent scopes for the budget minded shooter.

JMHO, YMMV

I'd rather a have a cheaper rifle with better glass than a better rifle with cheap glass. However, I prefer a good rifle with good glass.

You will proly have to learn the hard way.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'd rather a have a cheaper rifle with better glass than a better rifle with cheap glass. However, I prefer a good rifle with good glass.

You will proly have to learn the hard way.

Yep, we all learn the hard way.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Crowsniper.17HMR Only reply if you have had "first hand" experience with these scopes. I have the CenterPoint 4-16 and love it....while most people hate it and never owned one. So speak from experience or don't speak at all please.

you will learn pretty quick that this is an open public forum, and you do not own the thread, you asked a question and we gave our relevant responses accordingly. We are speaking from experiance by telling you that we would not buy that scope.

I tried to help and answer your question by asking your budget etc, but apparently all you want is for people to tell you that you should buy that scope and nothing else. Buy a crap scope if you want to, just dont ask us to drink the coolaid.

carry on gentlemen

In my EXPERIENCE you get what you pay for, in both quality and customer service. You can buy Pentax Gameseeker I's for about the same price as both scopes you listed and you will have a great warranty and better optics. But if you have yourself convinced that you NEED the off-brand slightly less expensive scope, go ahead and make the mistake we all made at some point or another, then next year spend a little more and you will have more $$ into the scope you should have bought in the first place.

I just got in the mail yesterday a Pentax Gameseeker 3-9x50 from Sportsman's Guide for $64 bucks. I haven't gotten it mounted yet but just looking through it, you can't beat it. I will post a follow up later on.

My EXPERIENCE is Leapers are what they are, cheap glass. You might get one that works as well as other $50 glass, you might get one that works as well as $5 glass. It's a LEAP of faith. The same with any other no-name. Just like tasco, they don't make squat, they just buy from the lowest bidder and brand them.

I've got 2 or 3 sitting on the shelf, used them when I was playing around with misc guns. I have 2 tascos, 1 is a 6-24 that is useable to about 16 and will be eventually replaced when I feel the need. The other has a history with me, and I'll own forever. This is it. A 'world class' best thing in the world scope (according to those who 'knew') that lasted 70 shots on a 30-06 before failing to hold zero, 40-50 on a .223 before failing to hold zero, and less than 100 on a .22lr before the entire crossheairs canted 45 degrees. At which point it was removed and I checked the irons before going squirrel hunting.
DSCF3140.jpg

FWIW 10 of their $50 scopes are of less value than 1 piece of good $150 glass (redfield).

I owned a Leapers scope and a red dot. I wounded and lost a deer because of it losing zero. The red dot fell apart in a day. I learned the hard way.

And I see you have other posts mentioning getting budget glass now, and better glass later. I deal with a ton of money for other people, every single day. I've heard the same arguments from them, but look at real life numbers.

If for instance, you can afford $65 today and never a penny more on that rifle, find the best $65 piece of glass you can and hope for the best, because good or bad, you are stuck with it. If it's bad most people will spend ANOTHER $65 and again hope for the best.

If you can afford $65 today and $65 in a month or two you have 3 options.
1. Buy the $65 piece of glass and hope for the best, because you are stuck with it.
2. Save the money until next month when you can afford $130 piece of glass that will likely last you for the next 20 years (redfield again)
3. Buy the $65 piece of glass, wait a few months until you can afford another $130 to replace it, at which point the glass for that rifle cost you $195 instead of $130 since you can't just add both to the rifle.

Plug in your own numbers as you see fit. The point being it is almost always cheaper to do things correctly the 1st time, than it is to do it badly the first time, and correctly the 2nd. That is option 2 is usually the best route. You don't have to spend crazy money to get pretty good glass. You only have to spend crazy money if you're crazy. Or a benchrest shooter
laugh.gif

I will let you know how my leapers turns out when I get it sighted in. If I dont like it, then I will sell it. IF I have a problem, I know the warranty, so I send it in to get fixed and then sell it, or mount it on an air rifle. A gun with no sights is a paddle.

spend the extra 40 bucks and get a nikon prostaff or a redfield like these guys are saying. i used to get the simmons 8-point scopes that came in the package deals on savages. they are ok and seem to hold a zero fine, but i recently compared it to a redfield and nikon and both redfield and nikon were WORLDS ABOVE the simmons as far as quality. knowing that, i would never buy a cheap scope on a packaged deal rifle, instead i'll save money and buy the rifle without a scope and use the extra money i saved to put towards a scope that will last and i will be happy with

Give Muellers a try i have 3 and i think they are great scopes for the money i know some dont like them because someone had one dipped and it leaked but i havent ever had a problem and the have great glass for the price just check out JoeBobs heck give him a call hes a heck of a guy to deal with and wont steer you wrong if he did it would hurt his business so he will be honest.

Well....the hunt is over. I decided on the New Leapers 5th Gen 4-16x50 AO, with Illuminated Red/Green Mil-Dot Reticle, Zero Lock/Resetwith the lifetime warranty. I passed up on a slightly used Bushnell Trophy Hunter 4-12x40 for only $70.00. May regret not getting it also....but don't need both.

Originally Posted By: Crowsniper.17HMRI want something a 4-16x50. Not gonna give $500.00 for glass. Not worth it to me.

No one said you had to give 500$ for glass.....
confused.gif

But it WILL be worth it on a couple months if I had to put a date on the leapers.

G'Luck

Back