Looking for a new reticle

wyshadow

I come from shooting air rifles and all of my scopes are hawkes with mildot reticles. I have a 22-250 which has a mildot reticle and a .223 rifle which has a normal duplex reticle. I have found using the mildot and the duplex reticle impractical for my needs. I never use more then one mildot holdover for my 22-250 and wish I had other aim points for 223. My max distance is 300 yards with my 22-250 and my 223. I have been looking around on Amazon and had come across this scope with a Range-finding Radical crosshair.

https://www.amazon.com/3-9X40EG-Tactical...e+Finding+Graph

The part I like about this reticle is the first three hash marks which seem to be very close together. What do you guys think of this reticle and scope? Does anyone else have another scope which will suit my purpose? Not looking at spending more then 200 and I don't want to use my turrets because I have found you need to spend some serious cash to get reliable and repeatable turrets. I would rather set the scope once and use holdover and holdunder values.

I have looked at the BDC reticle but just like my mildot scopes, I won't be shooting 500, 600, or 700 yards. Just need a reticle with very close markers close to the crosshairs. I don't care for lasers, power more then 10x, or illumination. I mostly hunt with 10x or 8x for longer shots and 4x for close shots (under 30 yards)

Last edited:
300 yards with a 22-250 you shouldn't need any hold over you can hold on fur the whole distance. The 223 maybe a smidgen. Maybe just swapping your scopes around might work.

A 50gr bullet at 3600fps out of your 22-250 with a 200 yard zero will be 1" high at a hundred and 5.6" low at 300. Anything under 250 use a center hold, over 250 hold on the back line.

I just spent Feb hunting just west of LC, lots of coyotes down there, called in 21 in five days. We spent March looking for a home to buy down there. Coming back after the PM Hunt to see if we can seal a deal.

Last edited:
I have my 22-250 zero at 100 and my 223 i use to have zeroed at 50. Don't have a scope on the 223 because I want something different for it. I haven't chronograph my 22-250 yet but I know my first mildot holdover is 170 yards. I'm shooting 50 grain vmax bullets with 35.8 grains of IMR-4320 powder. Waiting on shooting the 22-250 because I'm in the process of free-floating my barrel, pillar bedding the stock, and then glass bedding. After I'm done with the gun, I will then chronograph the gun and measure my drop.

I really like the burris scopes but one problem I have with any scope is having the zoom range between odd numbers like 2-7. I can deal with 3-9 because I can use power 8 and 4 for my hold over values but I would prefer 10x over an 8x. I have come accustom to hunting at 10x for both my BP and my air guns. I actually have a fixed 10x on my matador.

Sounds way too complicated to me, I call them in, 300 and in just put the crosshairs on them and kill them. I'm old, remembering all them numbers and dots when I can hardly remember how to get home sounds like a recipe for disaster. I go on a hunting trip sometimes it takes months to get back home.

I almost pulled the trigger (pun) on a Bushnell 4-12x40 BMAG350 on OpticsPlanet but i came across a Sightron S1H-TAC 4-12x40 AO for a great price. I have until Saturday to transfer the money so it gives me a couple of days to think about this scope. Does anyone have any experience with this scope? From every review I read and watched, Sightron scopes seem to be excellent scopes.

Well I was suppose to receive the Sightron scope yesterday but tracking indicated package was damaged once it got here into town. The seller contacted the distribution center, and was told the box was empty. The seller said the scope was tape in like Fort Knox so there was no way the scope would have fallen out. The seller reimbursed me back for the scope and now has to deal with the carrier. I hate thieves and wished no one stole but we live in an imperfect world and have to learn how to get by with set backs. Looks like I'm still on the search for a scope.

Originally Posted By: AWSSounds way too complicated to me, I call them in, 300 and in just put the crosshairs on them and kill them. I'm old, remembering all them numbers and dots when I can hardly remember how to get home sounds like a recipe for disaster. I go on a hunting trip sometimes it takes months to get back home.

I agree with this^^^ My 223 sighted in 1.7" high at 100 (236 yard zero) gives me MPBR of 2" out to 274 yards. My 17 Tac sighted in 1.4" high at 100 (282 yard zero)gives me MPBR of 2" out to 327 yards. Both are basically just point and shoot.

I you find a scope with the reticle your wanting for $200 max, make sure they have a great warranty. In that price range, I'd look at some type of Redfield which Leupold now owns.

JD

Last edited:
Back