Maybe I need practice but... What is a good all around choke tube? trap

the noobie

Went shooting trap again yesterday this time with my gun. I was shooting my IC or Modified choke tube. I couldnt hit anything. I think I shot a 12-15. I then traded off with my buddy who wanted to try my comfortech stock for a round and I shot his Nova that had some extended trap choke and shot a 20

Im wondering what would be a good all around choke for trap shooting? I am not the fastest so Im thinking something better suited for a bit longer range but not something that is going to mess with me on those close shots full is to tight for me. While I rock pigeon hunting with my full I have never done good with it shooting trap.

I was thinking like an improved modified?

Anyone have a favorite choke? I dont want to buy an $80 patternmaster but the Carlson chokes look pretty good for the price. If I can save enough money Ill be picking up a super tight choke for my coyote hunting this winter. so cheaper the better.

What kind of gun?

I shoot IM for most of my 16 yard stuff and full when I step back to the 27 yard line.

I'll bet though, that it wasn't the choke that made the difference, it was the gun fit. My guess is, his gun fits you better than yours and hence, you shoot it better.

Maybe just a shot in the dark, but worth considering.

As for the chokes themselves, I like Briley and Trulock.

Oh yes,

I usually shoot the cheap federal ammo. Usually the 2/3/4" 7.5 or 8 shot.

The local sporting goods store has some federal target ammo that is a 3" 7.5 or 8 on sale for the same price as the 2/3/4" what would you guys recommend? I have always shot the federal and know that it shoots fine in my gun but would it be worth it just to try a few boxes of 3" to see what they do?

My gun is a Benelli SuperNova 28" barrel
His is just the Benelli Nova with a 28" barrel (well maybe it was 26" I thought they felt about the same)

Im not sure what yardage the line is we were shooting from but it was the one closest to the clay thrower house.

Not knowing too much about the Novas, my guess is they are pretty similar so we could probably eliminate that.

Most trap ranges won't let you shoot 3" or larger shells. 2 3/4" are the norm.

28" barrels are plenty long enough for 16 yard line (closest to the house).

I would try an IM choke from Trulock/Briley/Carlson, etc and see what works.

Do the Novas use the same choke? If they do, swap with your buddy and see how you do then.

And that Walmart cheap stuff is good enough for 16 yard trap.

Yea I think the only major difference is you can change stocks and add custom shims to the Super Nova.

Ok thats what I was wondering because I have never seen 3" target shells in my life.

Yes, All Beretta and Benelli's use the same choke to my knowledge. Except for the ones that are supposedly "Cryogenically treated."
Ill have to see what the local shops have for sale as far as chokes.

Improved modified choke, use 2 ¾” 1 1/8 ounce loads of 7 ½ size shot, then learn your hold points, ect. Like anything else practice, practice, practice…

I like briley myself. I agree with all above, IM choke. Like GC said practice and more practice. Get comfortable with the gun. If you have too, try different shims and cants. Does the novas do that? I know the SBEs do.

Yes my gun has the shims, but the shims are at home.

I was out of town and picked up a case of Federal Field and Target, its 2/3/4-1/1/8 oz-8 shot but the store wanted $49 a case and I gave them a letter from the school saying I was part of the trap club looking for a sponsorship. They said they couldnt sponsor me but the took $4 off the total.

Are they decent shells? I cant complain at getting them for $4.50 a box, so that will give me a bit of practice

I decided to take the money I was looking using for a choke tube and just getting shells. I will just shoot my modified choke and ask Santa for a choke tube.
rolleyes.gif

From the 16 yard line the #8's work but most of the trap guys I know use #7 ½ shot. I have to ask, does this college trap team not have a coach? Isn’t there somebody there to provide some personal information and guidance? I’m not being critical of you personally, but the questions about 3” magnum loads for trap shooting and things like that would cause one to wonder who is coaching this team. There are some clay shooting websites and forums on the Internet and I would encourage you to investigate them for at least some basic information to help you with the elementary steps needed to get started.

No coach that I am aware of. Technically its a club lead, but we are financially helped by the school as long as we make money they will match what we make.
Everyone in the club gets to shoot at the shoots though. To be on the "team" you need to be in the top 5 or 10 shooters from the 25 people in the club. So even though the whole club shoots at the big final shoot this spring only 5 of the guys are technically representing the school. The rest are just shooting to compete.

I always used 7 1/2s as well. GC what do or did you shoot trap with? I have a Browning 425 30in barrels that I used to use. Cut the forcing cones out, miced the brileys to the barrels and had a C&H in the stock. I always liked the low rib.

THE NOOBIE

Quote:Yes, All Beretta and Benelli's use the same choke to my knowledge. Except for the ones that are supposedly "Cryogenically treated."

........ Not so!!! The Beretta and Benelli screw-in chokes are not interchangable... I wish they were because I shoot a Benelli Sport II, M-2, and a Beretta Super Pigeon III Sporting....

------------

Originally Posted By: tractormanI always used 7 1/2s as well. GC what do or did you shoot trap with? I have a Browning 425 30in barrels that I used to use. Cut the forcing cones out, miced the brileys to the barrels and had a C&H in the stock. I always liked the low rib.

I'm not much of a trap shooter, I only shoot it informally once in awhile as a change from skeet, sporting clays and five stand. I shoot a Beretta O/U for those events. I do ok, I'm not great at it but it sharpens my field skills and we have lots of fun.

Originally Posted By: Hobo27 THE NOOBIE

Quote:Yes, All Beretta and Benelli's use the same choke to my knowledge. Except for the ones that are supposedly "Cryogenically treated."

........ Not so!!! The Beretta and Benelli screw-in chokes are not interchangable... I wish they were because I shoot a Benelli Sport II, M-2, and a Beretta Super Pigeon III Sporting....

------------

Originally Posted By: the noobieOriginally Posted By: Hobo27 THE NOOBIE

------------

I shoot Estates that i get from Larry`s 1.125oz of #8`s with a .025 choke...

Improved Modified from 16 to 27yds.

Kiz Jr. is shooting international and double trap. He and pretty much everybody he competes with is shooting full over IM. In his ATA days, everybody shot modified or IM. With a single barrel, I would go with modified and 7 1/2's, 1 1/8 ounce load at least 1300 FPS.

Last edited:

First, take your new case of ammo and start pattern testing
your chokes with that ammo. Much will be learned at the
pattern board. I started the trap season with my old
trusty Rem. 11-87, with a Mod. Choke tube. My average
was right at 23/25. It patterned well, with my AA loads
out to 40 yards, but really shined at 30-35 yards. Mid
season I got a brand new Browning Maxus 3.5" 12 ga, and
wanted to get comfortable with it for the upcoming waterfowl
season. My average plummeted. First I went from an 8 lb
gun to a 6 lb gun. The Browning has shims for cast, LOP,
and drop, and was fit to me. The pattern board said the
Browning factory chokes suck...At least with my AA loads, and
my Win. Dry-lok steel waterfowl loads. So I picked up a
Carlson IM extended choke, and that helped on the pattern
board, And I loaded 4 dummy rounds full of lead #8 shot, to
stuff in my magazine tube, employing the magazine cut-off,
to add some weight(14 oz) back into the light Browning
Maxus. Scores climbed back out of the basement. I ended
up with "top Gun" for my team, even with my experimentation.
Guess that says something about the crew I shoot with.
rolleyes.gif

If you are comfortable with fit, then you probably just need
to find a good choke/load combination, for your shotgun, and
then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE some more. If you do
have access to a shooting coach, or even an experienced
trap shooter, get some instruction/advice. That will
shorten the learning curve.

Squeeze

Back