me or the scope

I ditched a Bushnell scope recently because the POI shifted 4 inches at 100 yards when I went from 3 to 9 X. I put on a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 and shrunk my groups in half.

I don't think if it says "Bushnell" without an "Elite" after it, it belongs on a D-Tech. Just my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm betting the Nikon cuts your groups in half at 200, too.
Good luck.

Jack, I'm not going to deny what you are saying; but I've seen loads that would open up quickly just moving the target from 100 to 200 yards. The antelope that you see me with was shot with a 2506. The first bullet I tried in that gun was the 120 gn Nosler Partition. It would shoot under a moa at 100 yds(1"). When I moved the target out to 200 yds, it opened up to 2 moa (4"). Next I tried 100 gn ballistic tips. They wouldn't sboot at all. I wasted a bunch of powder and primers trying to get them under a MOA. Next bullet was the 117 gn Sierra Gameking. They would stay under one moa out to 400 yards. I usually have very good luck with Nosler, but the Sako's barrel just didn't like em. I only have seen one other load behave badly in one other particular gun so it isn't something I see a lot of, but it does happen. I'm just recommending Voopreh try another type of bullet before making any decisions.

Thanks for all of the advice. I came across a deal on a 1903a3 in a 35 whelen. I will be picking that up in a week or two. I think the bushnell will go on that rifle and I'll have to get a new scope to go on the dtech. I like the weaver. I also think I'll try some sierra loads to go through the dtech. I also cannot say this part enough. It is not the rifle. I bought the dtech because of the reputation. I understand there is nothing wrong with the rifle. Remember the subject states me or the scope. Maybe this info will help, the barrel has a 1 in 10 twist. I think finding right load will be imperative, but that is also part of the practice. Cant wait to knock out some more targets. Thanks for all the help.

Don't bother messing with the gun buy a good quality scope. It never made sense top me that guys will pay $800, $900, or a $1000.00 for a gun then mount a cheap scope on it. Once you buy a good quality scope (Burris signature, Leupold VX III, Nikon Monarch)you will never go back to lower quality optics. I am cheap and don't like to waste money but when it comes to optics you get what you pay for. Buy the scope, buy a box of Blue box of Black Hills 52 grain match ammo and you will see how well the gun really shoots.

I appreciate all the help so far. I am stuck now with my choices as far as rifle scopes go. I understand that most people prefer nikon, leupold, burris, weaver. Any other opinions regarding other brands of rifle scopes. The second part, which bells and whistles does everyone prefer. BDC reticle, turrets, mil dot, AO, eye relief, and etc. Please explain why. Thank you

Fired off 50 rounds of the black hills 52 gr. match hollow point today. Groups at 100 were consistently 1/2 - 1 inch. Fired off a 4 round at 200 measured 1 inch but had 1 flyer. Fired off another 10 round at 200 measured 3 inches, but the middle had shots touching eachother. I also worked on breathing what a difference between technique and ammo. I just ordered a nikon buckmaster 4 - 14 x 40. I am really excited to see what this combo will be able to do. I'll keep everyone posted. I appreciate all the help. Thank you

Back