Morons behind the Gun Counter

Originally Posted By: MPFD
Also, I'm glad that, "It is also legal to shoot coyotes from a vehical on the road (if you have permission from the land owners on both sides)."

Without that law in place, you might have to a abolish the sale of cars in Kansas using your logic.

-BCB

Exactly how does that play into anything that was said? I'm not going to argue with you cause I've read enough posts on this site to now that is what you live for. I have my opinions and you are not gonna change them. Yes, I believe Colorado is a liberal state, ask anyone who lives there in a rural area how much they like all the hippies, and yuppies from California moving to Colorado and creating emission laws or "moving" praire dog towns out into eastern Colorado instead of dealing with them on the front range, It's a $50 misdemeanor if you get caught with less then an ounce of pot in Denver. I would call that a pretty liberal place. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon fella's.

Almost enjoyed this post.
But let's clarify a few things from an old hippies point of view.
Don't think hippies are Colorado's problem at all. Most hippies aren't going out to
make waves and try to get emission laws or moving praire dog towns. That sounds more like
environmentalists and PETA. Most hippies or at least the ones I know well just prefer to
be left alone. Not all of them even support the legalization of pot. I do support that.
We can discuss and argue this for days but [beeep], don't lump all hippies into a category like
that. That would be like me lumping in all hunters with rednecks. Thats not true at all
either. And really really don't lump hippies and yuppies into the same category. That's just
a slap in the face to us hippies. Those 2 groups are not even close to being alike.

Randy

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresOriginally Posted By: MPFD
Also, I'm glad that, "It is also legal to shoot coyotes from a vehical on the road (if you have permission from the land owners on both sides)."

Without that law in place, you might have to a abolish the sale of cars in Kansas using your logic.

-BCB

Exactly how does that play into anything that was said? I'm not going to argue with you cause I've read enough posts on this site to now that is what you live for. I have my opinions and you are not gonna change them. Yes, I believe Colorado is a liberal state, ask anyone who lives there in a rural area how much they like all the hippies, and yuppies from California moving to Colorado and creating emission laws or "moving" praire dog towns out into eastern Colorado instead of dealing with them on the front range, It's a $50 misdemeanor if you get caught with less then an ounce of pot in Denver. I would call that a pretty liberal place. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon fella's.

Almost enjoyed this post.
But let's clarify a few things from an old hippies point of view.
Don't think hippies are Colorado's problem at all. Most hippies aren't going out to
make waves and try to get emission laws or moving praire dog towns. That sounds more like
environmentalists and PETA. Most hippies or at least the ones I know well just prefer to
be left alone. Not all of them even support the legalization of pot. I do support that.
We can discuss and argue this for days but [beeep], don't lump all hippies into a category like
that. That would be like me lumping in all hunters with rednecks. Thats not true at all
either. And really really don't lump hippies and yuppies into the same category. That's just
a slap in the face to us hippies. Those 2 groups are not even close to being alike.

Randy

And just for the record: Since MPFD quoted me (in bold) in part of what's contained above, the hippie/yuppie comments are his and his alone... He owns them...

-BCB

I dont know if this is along the same lines as some of the stuff that has been discussed so far..but I stopped going to a shop because the guys prices constantly changed, he had one gun that I recall very well(Ruger #1V in 25-06)that over the period of about a year or so flucuated between $499 and 699(this was several years ago)one day you could walk in there and get it for 499..a week later it might be 699, I never did understand or appreciate this logic much, then when he jacked it up even more saying that Ruger just had a price hike I pretty much stopped going in there, I mean by the time this hike from Ruger came about he had this gun for 2yrs or better so why would that effect him?? you got the gun 2yrs or better ago at the rates then, to me it came off as gouging, that and the fact that they wouldnt quote a price over the phone if you called(Im 40 miles from this shop)caused me to forget they even existed, to me this business practice is pretty moronic.

Bayou City Boy And just for the record: Since MPFD quoted me (in bold) in part of what's contained above said:
Yep, I understand where the comments came from.
Even found them rather amusing to a point.

I'm just an old hippie that is slowly turning into an old hillbilly.
Guess that would that make me a hippbilly, maybe a hillpie ?

Now, let's go blast some of those prairie dog towns. Those suckers are bad on ranches
as cows, etc can step on them and break their legs. Maybe we can find a pot patch along
the way...

Randy

Originally Posted By: JLJ223I dont know if this is along the same lines as some of the stuff that has been discussed so far..but I stopped going to a shop because the guys prices constantly changed, he had one gun that I recall very well(Ruger #1V in 25-06)that over the period of about a year or so flucuated between $499 and 699(this was several years ago)one day you could walk in there and get it for 499..a week later it might be 699, I never did understand or appreciate this logic much, then when he jacked it up even more saying that Ruger just had a price hike I pretty much stopped going in there, I mean by the time this hike from Ruger came about he had this gun for 2yrs or better so why would that effect him?? you got the gun 2yrs or better ago at the rates then, to me it came off as gouging, that and the fact that they wouldnt quote a price over the phone if you called(Im 40 miles from this shop)caused me to forget they even existed, to me this business practice is pretty moronic.

There is the possibility that this particular store owner was pricing the weapon based on the cost of replacing it to his shelf.

Quote:I see a lot more idiots on the customer side, personally. Me too. Back when I was working in retail sales of firearms, it didn't take long to learn the vast majority of "gun problems" were user error.

Originally Posted By: MPFDI feel like stores in areas where certain items are illegal should not sell those items. Thats my opinion.

At the very least a sign that says "Check your regulations regarding use". A couple of years ago there was a complete ban on fireworks due to very, very dry conditions. Weren't even supposed to sell them. Care to guess where Wally world had their display? Right inside the front door. Wish a fire marshall would have seen it.

Thats very possible, still doesnt make it right IMO, if he is making a profit with the gun priced at $499(which I know he was) he is raping you at 750+, now I know there is no law against that..and a guy has the right to charge what he wants and the buyer can always just say no thanks, but it just seems as though they are trying to get you for every nickle they can..compared with a honest profit.

Originally Posted By: chris112At the very least a sign that says "Check your regulations regarding use". A couple of years ago there was a complete ban on fireworks due to very, very dry conditions. Weren't even supposed to sell them. Care to guess where Wally world had their display? Right inside the front door. Wish a fire marshall would have seen it.

Those darn Wally worlds get away with murder. I'd guess some of those Kansas Wally's sell some lights that could be used for night hunting predators too. I wonder what the effective range of a bottle rocket is on a spotlighted coyote? Bottle rockets would be like shooting tracer rounds. Hmmmm.

Walmart greeter: "Check your regulations regarding use boys and girls".

Originally Posted By: JLJ223but it just seems as though they are trying to get you for every nickle they can..compared with a honest profit.

who defines "honest profit"?
myself, i go for every nickle i can, if the customer wont pay then i have to lower my price. its called capitalism, and it always works. isn't America great?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sweatybettyOriginally Posted By: JLJ223but it just seems as though they are trying to get you for every nickle they can..compared with a honest profit.

myself, i go for every nickle i can, if the customer wont pay then i have to lower my price. its called capitalism, and it always works. isn't America great?
smile.gif

Good post, sweatybetty....

It seems today there are a lot of folks, even here, who want to see someone jump in and regulate prices, etc. rather than letting the market (supply and demand) do it.

To me, that's what Obama is trying to do with his antics... The end result won't be good. Those folks who want change may get it, but when they take it out of their pocket, they'll wonder where their folding money went..

JMO - BCB

Originally Posted By: Bayou City BoyOriginally Posted By: sweatybettyOriginally Posted By: JLJ223but it just seems as though they are trying to get you for every nickle they can..compared with a honest profit.

smile.gif

Good post, sweatybetty....

It seems today there are a lot of folks, even here, who want to see someone jump in and regulate prices, etc. rather than letting the market (supply and demand) do it.

To me, that's what Obama is trying to do with his antics... The end result won't be good. Those folks who want change may get it, but when they take it out of their pocket, they'll wonder where their folding money went..

JMO - BCB

thank you bcb. there does seem to be a growing trend towards hating those who have money. either the small business owner that is doing good or the big corporation making a profit. but, do not forget that the people with the money are the ones who sign your paycheck.

Originally Posted By: sweatybetty

thank you bcb. there does seem to be a growing trend towards hating those who have money. either the small business owner that is doing good or the big corporation making a profit. but, do not forget that the people with the money are the ones who sign your paycheck.

They aren't signing my paycheck. I do that. But if having money makes you better than all those folks you're signing paychecks for, than that might be why there's a growing trend of not liking you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sweatybetty

smile.gif

If only it were so cut and dry. We love to convince ourselves that our "free market" runs on supply and demand. Simply untrue. Our world runs on perception, not fact. And it certainly doesn't "always work". We have a federal government to ensure us of that.

Originally Posted By: JLJ223I dont know if this is along the same lines as some of the stuff that has been discussed so far..but I stopped going to a shop because the guys prices constantly changed, he had one gun that I recall very well(Ruger #1V in 25-06)that over the period of about a year or so flucuated between $499 and 699(this was several years ago)one day you could walk in there and get it for 499..a week later it might be 699, I never did understand or appreciate this logic much, then when he jacked it up even more saying that Ruger just had a price hike I pretty much stopped going in there, I mean by the time this hike from Ruger came about he had this gun for 2yrs or better so why would that effect him?? you got the gun 2yrs or better ago at the rates then, to me it came off as gouging, that and the fact that they wouldnt quote a price over the phone if you called(Im 40 miles from this shop)caused me to forget they even existed, to me this business practice is pretty moronic.

If it is in his gun rack for 2 years maybe he should think about lowering the price to the point that someone will buy it. And then put the money into something that won't gather dust for 2 years.

"So by your logic gun stores in California should be able to sell AR15 and people should be able to buy AR15's but if they shoot them they should be sent to jail, for possesing Illegal firearms?"
"Yes, I believe Colorado is a liberal state, ask anyone who lives there in a rural area how much they like all the hippies, and yuppies from California moving to Colorado and creating emission laws or "moving" praire dog towns out into eastern Colorado instead of dealing with them on the front range, It's a $50 misdemeanor if you get caught with less then an ounce of pot in Denver." -MPFD

Sounds like you're a man who boxes everyone in categories instead of the individuals. I'm a californian, been involved in more hunting, fishing, shooting, hiking, & camping than most grown men & I'm only 23. We aren't all "hippies" or "yuppies". Not upset or trying to be a punk but that's just ridiculous to blame "californians" for someone else's problems. I'm sure you're a nice guy, just have a narrow picture of a californian.
By the way, it is legal to buy a california compliant AR-15 (you have to use a tool or bullet to release the mag) & the stores sell "real" ARs to police, so technically that first quote is inaccurate. Further more, I can legally buy a AR in nebraska while I'm here & legally own & shoot it in the state of california. It just has to be registered & I'm the only one that can shoot it, unless I take a friend to a certified range. Take Care.

Rod Hart

Originally Posted By: kylesredappleOriginally Posted By: JLJ223I dont know if this is along the same lines as some of the stuff that has been discussed so far..but I stopped going to a shop because the guys prices constantly changed, he had one gun that I recall very well(Ruger #1V in 25-06)that over the period of about a year or so flucuated between $499 and 699(this was several years ago)one day you could walk in there and get it for 499..a week later it might be 699, I never did understand or appreciate this logic much, then when he jacked it up even more saying that Ruger just had a price hike I pretty much stopped going in there, I mean by the time this hike from Ruger came about he had this gun for 2yrs or better so why would that effect him?? you got the gun 2yrs or better ago at the rates then, to me it came off as gouging, that and the fact that they wouldnt quote a price over the phone if you called(Im 40 miles from this shop)caused me to forget they even existed, to me this business practice is pretty moronic.

There is the possibility that this particular store owner was pricing the weapon based on the cost of replacing it to his shelf.

I really don't understand that idea.
Once that gun is gone and sold and the prices have gone up to replace it on his shelf then he needs to raise the price to reflect it on the new/replacement gun.
Otherwise he recouped the new price on both the old gun and the new gun. The old gun he paid way LESS for so why should he charge the higher replacement on it.
He is still making money on the old one regardless.
I dunno call me dumb if you want....

Lucky i guess , i have never been treated badly at any Wal Marts or our Cal Ranch store or sporting goods here in Cache Valley or any gun shops else were or even Cabela's . The guys working at Wal Mart here in town all hunt and shoot and know there stuff . I have gone deer, elk and duck hunting with some of them and they have been around guns most of their lives . But i live out in the country and not a BIG city and just about everyone here hunts or shoots . Most of the people would rather be working somewhere else than Wal MART, but jobs are hard to come by and getting harder and at least they are not on welfare .

A little while ago it used to be that I was young, looked younger then I was but earned more money then most people my age.

At the local stores I was never really given the time of day when I wanted to look at something expensive. Be it a gun, a high end fishing rod, scope, or what ever, the owners always assumed I was just some kid who would never purchase the item he was looking at.

I can remember one instance vividly. I wanted a good fishing rod, and had money in my pocket to buy one, I just didn't know a lot about them. In the store were two clerks, myself and one other customer. They were talking about something, while I was looking at fishing rods. Eventually it dawned on me they weren't coming over, so I asked for help. The guy came over and when I asked what type of fishing rod I should get for walleye, he just said, bend the tip, that will tell you what action it has, and left. Never explaining what I was looking for in bending these tips, just that I should.

So I eventually figured out I was getting no help here. So I took a rod to the register, while they continued talking. After asking, one eventually came over. I said, with cash in my hand "I'd like to buy this, but not here. Thanks for your service" and left.

I have a bunch of stories like this, this is prob the worst though. I eventually learned that if I wanted to make a purchase, I was going to have the educate myself about the products to really get what was best for me. I'm older now, and people act like they expect me to buy something most of the time, but I'v become so used to doing my own reasearch that I know more about the products then all but the most well educated people out there.

Its frankly a good thing and I'm glad I do it. I don't often buy something I regret, and am almost never led astray by salesman who want to make a fast buck.

Originally Posted By: VASHTIOriginally Posted By: kylesredappleOriginally Posted By: JLJ223I dont know if this is along the same lines as some of the stuff that has been discussed so far..but I stopped going to a shop because the guys prices constantly changed, he had one gun that I recall very well(Ruger #1V in 25-06)that over the period of about a year or so flucuated between $499 and 699(this was several years ago)one day you could walk in there and get it for 499..a week later it might be 699, I never did understand or appreciate this logic much, then when he jacked it up even more saying that Ruger just had a price hike I pretty much stopped going in there, I mean by the time this hike from Ruger came about he had this gun for 2yrs or better so why would that effect him?? you got the gun 2yrs or better ago at the rates then, to me it came off as gouging, that and the fact that they wouldnt quote a price over the phone if you called(Im 40 miles from this shop)caused me to forget they even existed, to me this business practice is pretty moronic.

I really don't understand that idea.
Once that gun is gone and sold and the prices have gone up to replace it on his shelf then he needs to raise the price to reflect it on the new/replacement gun.
Otherwise he recouped the new price on both the old gun and the new gun. The old gun he paid way LESS for so why should he charge the higher replacement on it.
He is still making money on the old one regardless.
I dunno call me dumb if you want....

Scenario 1: The owner buys the gun on the shelf for $400.00 it sits for two years. He sells the gun for what it costs to replace it; $500.00. He isn't making anything. Just has a gun on the shelf (inventory) and has not made any money, whether he has the old gun or the new one.

Scenario 2: He sells the gun for more than what it costs to replace it and makes a small profit and still has a gun on the shelf, but seems overpriced.

Scenario 3: The gun only costs him what he has in it, so he leaves it on the shelf, playing the appreciation game; he isn't loosing money, just has it tied up in inventory.

Scenario 4: he sells the gun for a loss to buy something that is more popular that will sell quicker, but rolls the dice which he might not make any money because everyone else is selling the gun for what they paid for it, not what the replacement cost is.

Back