Mossberg 4x4 bolt action 22-250..Experience or opinions on their rifles?

My bro picked up an edge to yote hunt with me in a .223. It shot decent, I just couldnt get over the cheap feel of the thing and how uncomfortable is was to use. Trigger pull was way to stiff. I have read you can adjust the pull by shortening a spring in the trigger itself, but I wouldn't feel too safe jacking around with a trigger thats not ment to be altered. We took the 2 rifles to the range and like I said, it shot decent enough, It just wasnt comfortable to handle. I still did better with my mossberg but I was used to shooting my own rifle of course and mines a 22-250, better round IMHO. Now the mossberg feels cheap too, thats because they are "cheap/economical" rifles. The mossberg was more comfortable in my shoulder though.

smile.gif
nothing wrong with posting an opinion. What feels good on x shoulder may feel horrible on y.

Not a single part on any production rifle, excluding the accu type triggers or similar parts, are meant to be altered. Personally I think the accus are a waste of money, but that's from a guy that likes to work on things, and I have more than 1 savage. Also more than 1 ruger, Remington, Winchester, military, old, new, etc. I have a lot even though I've been thinning in the last cople years. Throw my FIL in the mix and we probably rank as a third world country.
DSCF3125.jpg

I have 1 edge in the same caliber as 1 other rifle. With my best tailored loads for that caliber, the edge consistently out performs the other, which still shoots really really well. It ends up being my carry for deer and goats due to performance and carry weight being less. pretty is as pretty does, and 1 whole groups in a big game caliber is awfully pretty.

Any make that shoots well is a good gun IMO. Only bad shooting or unreliable, guns are 'crap' I guess is my point. Everything else is purely preference. I even think the 770 has a place. I do however think the atr is junk and I am aware it taints my view of mossy in general.

I have the Edge 22-250 and have no problems with it. If the 4x4 has a dbm it would be my only other choice of an economical gun. But having owned the Edge for almost 2 years now I wouldn't even consider changing. I did do the 10 minute free trigger job and have absolutely beat the crap out of the gun and cannot get it to accidently fire.

Get whatever gun YOU want. We can nitpik all we want about economical guns. They are made without the fancy stocks and latest super light triggers. That's what keeps the price down. I agree with NdIndy, if it shoots accurate and is safe, who cares how much it costs? The animals surely don't

Ndindy, aint that the truth. Nice arsenal, looks a lot like mine. Thats all Im saying, the 4x4 has been great for me. Accurate and so far dependable. one heck of a good cheap rifle. lol I have never handled an ATR so I cant comment on it. Hey how do you like that stock on your SKS? For me its going to be between that or the tapco stock. Cant make a decision yet. Kel, what do you mean by "if the 4x4 has a DBM?" What is a DBM. Might be a dumb question, but I am new to the forums. ha ha ha. Thanks everybody for the great comments. This forum is a lot of fun. Its cool to see how everybody has their own prefrences and opinions. Thats one of a hundred thousand reasons I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!!

I know this is old thread, but im looking at buying one the 4x4's in 22-250 in a couple of weeks. how have your guns held up. do they still shoot good. and any idea of anyone that has the walnut version in stock. thats what I want, and that what Im gonna buy.

Hey shooter, Still have mine and still no issues. Still rollin yotes and prairie dogs. Lighter grain bullets group the best. Nosler varmageddon 40gr do really well out of mine pushed with Varget powder. Dont remember what charge Im using though id have to look. Few weeks ago we were out shooting in the god awful new mexico wind and my rifle was just full of sand. Never had an issue while shooting that day and continues to cycle fine after cleaning. Was able to get out and shoot the walnut stock 30-06, didnt care for the stock. Really light weight and cheapy feeling. Id say stick with synthetic. I did double check the twist rate on mine because it was advertised as 1:10' rate. WRONG. I noticed when I would load heavier bullets no matter the powder type or charge, my groups would get wider and wider. Measured the twist out and its 1:14". Which is bitter sweet for me because now I can speed up my loads velocities but will loose performance if I shoot anything over 55gr. best weights are 40gr, 45gr, and 52gr. Hope this helps. Any questions, let me know. Now droppin 2liter soda bottles at 400yrds all day. Havent been able to find a longer range yet.

I think it all comes down to what you are comfortable with and personal preference. Its like a bow and how it fits you.
Not everyone likes the Cadillac.

Back