Motorhome or 5th wheeler

Ky Col

I know this is predator hunting but I WILL be using this for predator hunting as well as other hunting over the years plus I thought this would get the most answers here.

Ive made up my mind to get one or the other.

I had plans to travel a lot but Mom's health kept me here at home for the most part. I would love to keep her here another 10-15 years but that's not realist. My whole family knows I'm not a person who waits around for something to happen and then go from there, I make plans ahead of time and I've been talking about this since we got back from Germany last year. I had originally wanted to go to Europe and Asia a lot but with all that's going on over there those plans are cut way back, I'll still go when my brother goes but that's about it. So that leaves the United States and Canada.

I just got my first SS check last month. Holding that in my hands made me realize time is moving and I need to enjoy it while I still can. There will be only 2 of us, one of my old girlfriends from high school will be going with me plus our 2 small dogs. Once in a while another couple will take a long weekend trip with us but that's it NO KIDS!!! I want something to be able to call up my friend on Thursday morning and say, "Road trip, we leave Saturday morning." Then we simply go to the store to stock up then off we go. For example, in the early fall go to Gettysburg Pa to the battlefield when the crowds are not too heavy then go up to Maine for the fall colors and eat lobster and crab everyday we are there then home before heading for New Mexico.

What I'm looking for is a new motorhome or 5th wheeler, I want a brand that's dependable and will hold up to the traveling. The 5th wheeler means a new truck but the motorhome also means a aluminum trailer pulling a small auto or small 4WD truck. Both will have to have the horsepower to pull though the Rocky Mountains and "maybe" Alaska. Still not sure about the Alaska Hy but for now the MAIN plans are here in the lower 48 states. i know I said there is just 2 of us but I don't want anything "just big enough", when I go hunting/camping by myself I take my 14 foot pop-up and to me it's still too small but I do enjoy it. So that's the reason I'm looking at the size I am, plus I will need the horsepower like I said.

I have been looking online and do not want to limit myself to what the local dealer have so I don't know which brands really stand out since ALL of them say theirs does. Anybody got any idea, recommendations? Do you have or know someone with one and what have they told you they like about what they have?? It will be a 2018 or 2019 model so I have some time before I decide.

Thanks for your help.

I would agree with the ftwheel toyhauler plus if your couple friend comes with they have the back room kind of as a bedroom if you get one with the bunks in it. I would look at the Momentom toyhaulers they seem nice to me.

My Dad had a motorhome and you had to have a second vehicle plus you have to license both each year. In Montana you license a fifth wheel once and it's permanent. I have had a fifth wheel since 1992 and have had it out in sub zero weather for hunting. I had to have a dry camper (no water). A motorhome does not work well in the mountains due to the size and bad roads. I have had great luck using the fifth wheel. We just got a new fifth wheel this March with the cold weather package. Three slide outs and lots of room. It's 29 foot and has a factory receiver hitch and pre wired for a flat 4 plug in. I have a F-250 4x4 to tow it and can add a trailer with ATV's or MC's or a cargo hitch. Personally I think a fifth wheel is best of both worlds if you plan on getting off the beaten path.

^^^^ me too. The ability to unhook and drive a rig around is quite nice. Also, if you get a toy hauler, you can load your toys in the garage and load those up in your truck once you unhook. Just another plus.

+1 on the trailer/fifth wheel, from a guy that travels, hunts and fishes a lot go with a trailer not a fifth wheel so you can put a ladder rack on the truck and carry a decent fishing/hunting boat or canoe.

We have a Raptor Toy hauler, I load a Polaris General in it and pull with a diesel truck. Get A DIESEL TRUCK!! Believe me the power they produce makes pulling so much easier. In Arizona you can licenses UTV's and plate them just like motorcycles. Last year we spent 3 months living in it and this year we will be 5 months. Wife does her crafts at our park and I scout and hunt coyotes. The nice part about the 5th wheel is it does not sway like a regular travel trailer. I think both a motor home and 5th wheel have there good things and bad. But we do like the toy hauler option.

Raptor and a diesel dually. You wont regret those 2 extra tires if you pull a bunch. I like shorter trailers because some parks limit your trailer length. 34 is about right.

Last edited:
I will also voice a vote for the 5th wheel. The ability to unhitch and have your (diesel) truck for running around is priceless. It is also a lot easier to get a truck serviced or repaired if you are a thousand miles from home. I limped in to a ford dealer in Utah one Sunday morning, spent the night on the curb out front. Unhooked the truck Monday morning when the service shop opened, they got it going and I was back on my way Monday night. The family was able to sleep/eat/play in the trailer while we waited.

Back