My ideal set-up, for new callers

kirby

Pics & a short video clip to follow with an explanation. This is the "West side" of a 1x2 mile hilly cropland section. This portion is all rolling pasture with deep ravines & plenty of cover areas. Note the large stand of pines off to the right.
P1110750.jpg

I'm tucked into a brush pile on the "East side" of the mile. The wind is from my Left to my right. I'm calling cross-wind. I'm also facing due West towards the distant large stand of pines & all of the other ground cover. Coyotes will choose to "be or hang around in cover" hands down over an open area.
P1110751.jpg

The above pic, on the right you can see some of my down-wind. That is in between the distant cover & myself. So if a coyote comes from my cross-wind & decides to hook to my down-wind. That coyote has to step out into the open. The pic below, shows more of my down-wind.
P1110752.jpg

Video of my immediate up-wind, cross-wind then down-wind. I zoom in on the tops of the distant stand of pines. Abit shakey as I'm free handing the camera in a stout cross-wind. But you'll get the jist of the stand set-up.

click on the video pic.

Last edited:
Good stuff kirby. You new guys that are asking about what kinds of calls, camo and calibers this is way more important than all of that. I think some new guys that experience immediate success and then nothing for months, inadvertently set up in the correct way. Then they never quite experience it again. Setting up so a coyote must commit to open country is imperative hunting this type of terrain. Wind is everything.

Man, I wish i would have come across something like this years ago when I started...would have saved me a heck of alot of trial and error trying to figure out what is presented here. Good on ya, and I hope every new caller has a look at this!

Last edited:
Seeing why coyotes prefer being in or adjacent to cover. Any coyote to my cross-wind that is in that cover. Can not see me as I walk to my stand.

They also can not scent me.
Nor hear me, "IF" I'm quiet enough walking to my stand. So when I call towards cover. Et "IF" they respond to my call sound. They will be clueless to my presence.

The stand I made last pm. The farmer's dog was deep back in the section. As it followed me in, then scattered amongst the hills. As I sat there for abit, here it came running back towards the farm. The dog ran within 30' of me as I sat tucked into the brush pile & it never did see me. Priceless
smile.gif

Most all of the coyotes I've seen over my yrs. Were on the down-wind slopes of the hills. No matter if they were on the move or not. The other coyotes I seen were in transit to a down-wind area. As they were on the up-wind at the time.

Coyotes use the up-wind/windward areas as they hunt/travel. From one down-wind area to the next.

Down-wind, down-wind, down-wind.

A cross sectional sketch, depicting where coyotes typically are. At any given time. According to the(wind direction), terrain features(hills for example), & or ground cover.

A = wind direction
B = coyote
C = hunter, that chooses to walk into their stand from the "down-wind" of a coyote. That plan is NOT ideal. As no matter where a coyote is at the time. They will spend a good amount of their time. Panning around to THEIR down & cross-wind areas. If a hunter DOES walk into their stand with the "wind in their face". Then it is best, they have a hill/ridgeline or ground cover. Between themselves & any coyote up ahead. Otherwise it is game over, for that hunter. As the coyote will see you coming.
D = timber or ground cover.

P1100260.jpg

Last edited:
A cross-sectional view. Of a ravine, slough, gorge, river bed, creek bed, ect. As to which side a coyote will bed down on. According to the wind direction.

01-05-2012073335AM-1.jpg

Last edited:
This bedded down Red Fox is facing down-wind out on some low open foothills. Red has a shallow drift to it's immediate up-wind. Useing it as a wind brake.

stalker8.jpg

Same fox. Now I'm up-wind & cross-wind from it. Red raised it's head to watch me. Note, the small drift to it's immediate up-wind. Both coyotes & Red Fox will use even the slightest of terrain features & or ground cover. To assist in blocking the wind.

stalker10.jpg

Last edited:
Although both canines can be seen during daylight hrs. Red Fox are much more nocturnal than are the coyotes. Coyotes tend to stay in or adjacent to cover during the day.

Red Fox will most often hole-up during the same day. The Reds like dry culvert tubes & old den holes to sleep in most of the day. Coyotes will rarely use an old den hole for sleeping.

No, not yesterday. But it did awhile back. Old female coyote came in straight from the direction of the distant stand of pine trees. She came in fast to high pitched long howls (from Pee-Wee).

Last edited:
Long range coyote bedded down on the down-wind slope of a long ridgeline. Coyote has it's head up panning around. Coyote is angled to the residual wind & is facing a down-wind direction.
stalker2.jpg

Same coyote its head is down.
stalker5.jpg

Buddy & I stalked that coyote. Here he is ready for a shot in a cross-wind. Coyote has it's head down, clueless.
stalker6.jpg

Last edited:
I may not be the first to use it but I call it "Titus' Rule"...Make 'em show themselves if they want the downwind. Just a way for me to visualize what you're saying. Great stuff, Kirby.

Thanks.

I've remarked about both canines prefering the down-wind. Since I joined this site. No matter what terrain features or ground cover. Or a lack thereof, they all prefer being on the down-wind. No matter where in this country. Coyotes & Red Fox will choose the down-wind.

Over many yrs I've watched over a couple thousand coyotes hunt/travel the down-wind slopes. I've observed hundreds of Red Fox do the very same thing. There are only slight behavior differences between the two canines.

But little to no difference on how they use terrain features & or ground cover. IN respect to the wind direction. It is text book. Et any hunter no matter if they spot/stalk or are a caller. Should be aware of it.

Back