New 6.8 SPC Lightweight Thermal Build

Gman757

As a lot of you know night hunting rigs are relatively heavy most of the time so I decided to do a lightweight build just to see how it would turn out. I did not want to deal with any pistol brace issues so I submitted the paperwork for an SBR build and I have to say it was worth the trouble. It's nice to pick up a rig that doesn't weigh a ton.

It's based around a Battle Arms Development BAD556-LW billet receiver set. Most of the parts were chosen with weight in mind.....12.5 inch AR15 Performance barrel.... SLR Handguard...JP low mass bolt carrier.

The first receiver set I purchased was a loose fit on the barrel so I sent the receiver set and barrel to Battle Arms Development and they shipped back a set with a nice tight fit. I highly recommend them for customer service.

The thermal is a Trijicon 20mm REAP-IR and I also have a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 mounted in a Vortex QD mount sighted in so I can swap it to a day rig also.

I have it running on the edge with the SLR adjustable gas block. My brass is ejecting at 2:30-3:00 but it's cycling dependably and recoil and blowback are relatively low so I will see how it goes after a few times out in the field. So far so good.....I killed a big sow with it first time out last week.

70M7CCl.jpg
pPVdcEP.jpg

qX3O8y2.jpg

Note...cross posted in Hog Heaven...AR's.....Night Calling.

Last edited:
Nice rig! I like the lancer systems carbon fiber handgaurds for lightweight builds too. The carbon fiber also helps in the cold temps in MN too. I was thinking about a build like yours for when I go shoot pigs in TX.

Back