NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

Yes, that is due to the large 100mm objective lens on your D-750 required to bring enough starlight photons through the glass into your gallium arsenide image intensifier at 4X optical magnification.

Thanks.

I'm sorry I didn't Think about looking to see what my current scope FOV was first but I really do appreciate your taking the time to help me with this.

I'm very intent on not making any costly mistakes and appreciate your time very much.

Copy that!

It does pay to research out your investments and ask questions from reputable sources, personally I don't invest in any penny stocks either....
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: SkyPupAfter my innumerable run-ins here, there and everywhere, with the infamous SatchelATN, I must say that his insider shrill crew has earned the top notch poster boy fame award for the absolute worst roll-out and ensuing operational mess of any optical firearm accessory device I have ever witnessed. Not X-sighted at all about anything ATN....
rolleyes.gif

So it does pay to keep your eyes open and your money in your wallet when dealing with these types of things.....or get snookered by glossy PR.

I try to invest in products for the long haul, beyond their functional product cycle, as I don't keep selling and trading my gear to acquire the latest and greatest device known to man, I just keep using my stuff day in and night out without any problems.

I just don't get how after 17 pages of content on a thread like this one it comes to even bothering to mention an unrelated product in a completely different technology category...

I've read your posts, here there and many other places for years and do not recall another time when you seemed so interested in what a company is doing on a PR and rollout front.

17 pages of great content and here we are on page 18 talking about ATN...

rolleyes.gif

It just for some reason reminds me of this classic moment

I think this thread is for the FLIR Thermosight.

I do agree with inspiration being a goal and don't confuse my curiosity as to why your posting about "drivel" for a lack of respect.

It isn't like that, I just think it takes away from the excellent information that you have to offer others and myself.

It is my opinion of course but carry-on talking about Night Optics and ATN if that is what you want to do.

BB

I'll personally stick to FLIR products since that is all I own and use, sorry for the off topic banter....

BTW, my original first major thermal purchase, a FLIR GS mil-spec T-50 with old 35mm Tau 1 core and 60mm germanium lens is now five years old, has been through hurricanes, tropical storms, bounced off the concrete carport after falling off the pickup truck tail gate twice, been dragged through swamps, dropped underwater, in mud, tons of dust riding on ATV/UTV/Trucks, etc and now functions as a hunt group loaner common equipment. It has killed innumerable hogs/dogs over the years of constant use without a hiccup and still is being used tonight!

That is the kind of thermal performance I'm talking about...

T50%20Big%20BoarC.jpg

Mangey%20Coyote2.jpg

T50%20Double.jpg

Sig%20716%20T50%20Hog.jpg

The T-50 cost me $10.3K back then when it was the first military thermal weapon sight deregulated for purchase by a civilian and I was one of the first to get one from FLIR GS and very happy at that. And now, five years later, they sell for $500 more than they did back then with old TAU 1 technology...

Originally Posted By: SkyPupReally, BB, I could care less, but I certainly appreciate your imagination, imagination inspires!

I did mention one thing about the ATN X-Sight in 17 pages and now you've repeated that twice on the same page. So what?

So what do you think about the new Night Optics digital Sentry as a weapon and/or helmet mount?

http://www.nightoptics.com/no/product/DN-142BK.htm#.VOPJBS5AqVA

http://www.nightoptics.com/includes/tech_specs/DN-142.pdf
I can't believe Night Optics is selling that hunk of [beeep]! Sad...

That digital device does look extremely weak, eats batteries like crazy, terrible tiny FOV, limited night use, almost toy like quality?

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEDarn,I leave to make popcorn and look at all the stuff I missed!!
lol.gif

Hey baystate -

You didn't miss much, just SkyPup continuing to wrestle with digital dilemmas ...

But I will say that your above post 1-upped SkyPup (post count) which is an accomplishment of its own! As you're well aware there are not many chances to best SP at something especially in terms of equipment, it's use, and function but take that small victory with you to the kitchen and grab a cold one.

smile.gif

I just realized something that's been making my understanding of these devices difficult.

I realized that the thermal scopes lens is measured in focal length not lens diameter (like a regular rifle scope) So yes, longer focal length lenses have higher basic optical magnification but come at the cost of reduced field of view. The whole time I have been thinking that the only thermals out there that were capable of delivering the best clarity and detailed images were the most expensive thermals which happen to have the largest lenses.

I found this article that explains the relationship between thermal lens focal length and its lens diameter:

http://www.flir.com/uploadedfiles/Eurasia/MMC/Tech_Notes/TN_0005_EN.pdf

Thanks

Yeah, allot of people think that they work like optical day glass scopes and the largest biggest fattest objective is going to be the cats meow for super high power long range magnification.

These are uncooled Vanadium oxide microbolometers for the most part and are NOT for shooting super long range, even if you could shoot super long range, you would NOT be able to positively ID what you are shooting at which is a lethal mistake.

Skypup (or anyone having zeroed a FLIR RS optic), any chance you observed ghosting from internal sensor heat after zeroing any of the FLIR RS thermals? I have that problem even with the optic removed from the rifle. My adjustments were 119,67 and I see significant ghosting south and southeast of the display. Is this normal? Can it be corrected by FLIR, i.e., sensor re-positioned relative to the zero coordinates to avoid sensor edge heat. I get no response from FLIR (2 month old purchase). The sensor adjusts the heat signatures relative to a warm body, but if the body is somewhat obscure, the target heat signature is hard to detect given the ghosting I see. I imagine I could *avoid* the ghosting if I swapped the current AR-mounted setup with my bolt action with 20MOA base, but the optic wasn't intended for my bolt action.

Iron edge heat with target a couple of minutes after being powered on.
view

White hot edge heat a couple of minutes after being powered on.
view

Coordinates - minor edge heat a few seconds after first powered on.
view

Last edited:
Hmmm, I suspect your picitanny rail mount may perhaps be out of alignment with the bore. On my three FLIR RS-64 scopes mounted on three different rifles the X, Y coordinates are X= 0-8, Y= 0-28. Don't know as I have never extended the X,Y coordinates that far out?

I could not see the photo that you posted of the ghosting, the only ghosting I have ever experience is shooting from an unsuppressed barrel and seeing the muzzle flash.

Back