New Laser Designator

For $300, I'll wait for them to address the cold issues. Sounds like it would be great for the south and southwest.

I don't mind making some modifications to a cheap item to make it near perfect, but a pricey item that needs "rigged" to work properly means it hit the market too soon because the manufacturer saw dollar signs instead of caring about customer satisfaction. Reminds me of an expensive light that requires modifications.

Tried it out last night. Seemed to work well spotlighting; I didn't go for pigs, maybe tonight. However It did fade quite significantly after maybe 15 minutes. I taped handwarmers to it, but they were crap and didn't warm up, plus it didn't go through the camo tape. The tape is a horrible insulation by the way. Tonight I'll make sure my warmers work and I'll put the tape on top of it, see how that works.

Hey RC
Im a fellow northerner located in Michigan. Have you had a chance to try the laser genics light in the extreme cold weather yet? Reason I ask is...I have read "from other forums" this light has issues with keeping a charge in the lithium battery for more than 10 minutes and at much less brightness while exposed to colder temps. I was almost ready to buy one until I read that testimonial.

The batteries last for hours. When it gets exposed to cold temps for several minutes, it fades down til it totally fizzles out. You can insert the best brand new battery of your choice when it's cold, and it won't change anything. Hold it tightly in warm hands, breath hot air on it for about a minute, and you'll see it get brighter and brighter. It was nice when warm out, but I usually go out calling when it's freezing or below, with some exceptions. If they every address the issue by actually fixing the termperature fault, I'd likely buy another.
Made a 5mm thick, neoprene sleve for it(old dog vest), took it out calling a few times, temps 13 to 24 degrees, didn't seem to help much at all. Took maybe 10 minutes to make. Stiched with some nylon string and also glued with shoe goo, never finished around the adjuster collar. When kept fairly warm in an inner coat pocket, it would run for what seemed like a minute or so at best, then would start fading out pretty quick.
1262837270.jpg

1262837413.jpg

RC2125,

Could you do the same and allow room for a hand warmer underneath? Maybe that would get it too hot? I sometimes use vet wrap to put a handwarmer on my ecall to keep it warmer. makes the batts last a lot longer!

B

To all ND3 users:

I have a lot of post regarding the use of the ND3, and have continued to experiment nightly even during the very cold weather we had here in Texas recently. I used it by holding it my hand to keep it warm. That work well until it got into the teens. Until warmer weather, or until Lasergenetics gets a solution, it will stay unmounted on my rifle. I had a new idea last night that worked well so far. I took some double sided carpet tape and cut a thin strip (about 1/4"). I wrapped in tightly around the center adjustment ring. Then I took an ace bandage that I had, cut in half and wrapped it tightly around the ND3. My wife had to help me get it as tight as I could for the first few wraps to make sure that it was going to stick to the carpet tape. Now I hold then end of it and rotate the ace bandage which rotates the adjustment ring. Works like a charm so far.

Originally Posted By: offroadxxI am a dealer for the BSA Laser Genetics, and used to carry the ND3 and the ND5. I personally had 3 defective units in a row that I removed a surefire light from the top of one of guns and replaced it with the ND3. I was highly upset at the fact it failed, not once, twice, but 3 times. You had to know being made by BSA, but I thought I would give it a try. I since then had a customer bring one back for failure, and had to send it off for repair. I have since pulled every one of them from the shelf, and will no longer carry them. To all of you thinking about one, RETHINK IT. Stick with what works and do not deviate, as your night out might become ruined from faulty equipment that is brand new and not proven.

I bought one for Xmas. I was impressed with it while trying it out indoor and in my backyard even though I had problem trying to center the green ligh circle to superimpose on scope reticle.

First try in the field, temperature was in the high 40 to low 50's, the ND3 failed. The green light circle disappeared after couple of minutes. I changed three batteries to ensure it was not defective batteries. No improvements there.

Once I took it back inside where room temperature was 70 degrees, it worked again. I still had the problem with the mount though.

I called Lasergenetics and sent it back to them for a full refund. So far, it has been ten days and have not heard back anything. The brochure says customer can return for full refund within 30 days.

I really like the light for its ability to focus and very minimal diffraction exists. Once the issue with temperature sensitivity is resolved, this light would be a great tool.

Last edited:
Back