New Vortex scope 2?

GG224

Attempting to post again as the first one did not seem to work. If this somehow duplicated due to a "timeout" or other reason can one of the mods please remove one of them?

I don't know that I have seen this scope offered by Vortex previously. The price seems great for the options -FFP, Tactical Turrets w/CRS Zero Stop.

https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-viper-p...x?homepage_link

Anyone know of a better deal for something comparable?

Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougAfter your forum member pricing it's not much of a difference. Give us a call tomorrow and we can discuss it

What is the forum member pricing?

Originally Posted By: GG224Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougAfter your forum member pricing it's not much of a difference. Give us a call tomorrow and we can discuss it

What is the forum member pricing?

Please give us a call to discuss products and pricing, 516-217-1000

Originally Posted By: gr8fuldoug

I thought it might have been a standard percentage for forum members and was giving you the opportunity to post it for everyone.

I already have several outlets for better than average pricing as I receive a LE discount on most optics and factory made firearms. So I'm good, thank you anyway.

Last edited:
It is always a pleasure to "meet" the members here and to assist where we can. Most MFG's have MAP pricing policies and do not want discounts posted anywhere. There are variables from mfg to mfg as to what we are able to do for you.
Whether, in the end, you buy from us or not we are here to assist and if we are able to offer the lowest price that's wonderful. I know we can offer the best in customer service.

Glad to see this posted, as it was essentially what I originally wrote above (now deleted). Just figured it's not my place.

Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougIt is always a pleasure to "meet" the members here and to assist where we can. Most MFG's have MAP pricing policies and do not want discounts posted anywhere. There are variables from mfg to mfg as to what we are able to do for you.
Whether, in the end, you buy from us or not we are here to assist and if we are able to offer the lowest price that's wonderful. I know we can offer the best in customer service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GG224Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougHow about something better? Take a peek at the Athlon Ares BTR or their Ares ETR

Great optics, amazing quality control and fantastic reviews

The Vortex comes in at a lower cost at $650.

I have heard good things about the Athlon for their price. The only issue I have seen with them is their turret function. The suggested fix for that was posted here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=cZwlYoOs_RA

The only thing I have personally seen wrong with Vortex is they don't track, parallax issues, broken turrets and sub par glass. Unless you're looking at the Razor line, they're better left alone. I have broken and handled way too many broken Vortex to stand behind them even slightly.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: GG224Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougHow about something better? Take a peek at the Athlon Ares BTR or their Ares ETR

Great optics, amazing quality control and fantastic reviews

The Vortex comes in at a lower cost at $650.

I have heard good things about the Athlon for their price. The only issue I have seen with them is their turret function. The suggested fix for that was posted here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=cZwlYoOs_RA

The only thing I have personally seen wrong with Vortex is they don't track, parallax issues, broken turrets and sub par glass. Unless you're looking at the Razor line, they're better left alone. I have broken and handled way too many broken Vortex to stand behind them even slightly.

I feel the same way.

Originally Posted By: GG224Originally Posted By: gr8fuldoug

I thought it might have been a standard percentage for forum members and was giving you the opportunity to post it for everyone.

I already have several outlets for better than average pricing as I receive a LE discount on most optics and factory made firearms. So I'm good, thank you anyway.

I’d still give Camera Land a call.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

The only thing, huh? That was funny!

I personally have never owned one but know people who swear by them.

I also do not own an Athlon but have heard people complain about their quality except for the Cronus. (That could be due to Athlon making some of their products in China- probably the lower priced stuff- and other products in Japan...even though they are an American based company......"Thank you for your email. We produce our products in both Japan and China. I think what he is referring to on our boxes is where it says USA Company. We are a USA based company in the Kansas City area."

Price point is what this thread was about. I can find scopes under $100 online that have high reviews, that doesn't mean I want one.

I'll have to look around and see if Vortex is rated by others as poorly as it seems to be here.

Last edited:
After reading quite a few good reviews I’m trying an “atibal” scope. Their scout scope(suppose that’s the name) with 1-8 power. Dunno what else they make but there’s a lot of really good reviews. Sightron seems to be picking up followers- I’ve got an STAC and really like it. Sold my last Vortex the other day and was happy to see it go. My Walmart special centerpoint could out perform my viper I had. If you wanna buy once she’d a few tears once, Burris XTR ii’s are really catching a following and beating a lot of other scopes. I’m pinching my pennies till November when I should have enough saved up for one. Or there’s the nightforce shv F1 too. Leupolds at the $650 price point should be pretty good too but I don’t think there’s any FFP.

Originally Posted By: Tracker0721 If you wanna buy once she’d a few tears once, Burris XTR ii’s are really catching a following and beating a lot of other scopes.... Or there’s the nightforce shv F1 too. Leupolds at the $650 price point should be pretty good too but I don’t think there’s any FFP.

I started this thread to price compare. I guess Vortex is not the way to go- more people are shying away from them on other reviews that I have read. It just seemed to me that they were offering a lot in that scope for the money. I handled them in stores and they have nice glass, but I never actually used one.

Currently I am having Dtech build an upper for some distance shooting. My scope budget for that gun is in the $1000 range. I can get a Burris XTR II 5-25x50 illuminated for $900 and am considering it.

I still want to check out an Athlon, but none of the stores in my area carry them. I'll have to take a trip to Cabela's I guess. I won't purchase a scope sight unseen.

Last edited:
I've owned/still own 5 different vortex scopes and a pair of binos and I've been nothing but happy with with them and they are the lower end scopes. I agree you get a ton of features for the money with Vortex and all the reviews I see are great but on here and other similar sites they aren't as well thought of. My guess is it depends on the user: I don't do much turret twisting and generally use them for hunting and plinking, although I've shot them out to 600-700 yards and not noticed a problem tracking or with the glass. Maybe their scopes don't do as well for more of the precision shooter style of use ?? Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one, six times in a row lol

Back