Nightforce - is it worth the bucks

One of my buddies has nothing but NF scopes on all of his rifles. He just bought another one. I asked him what the heck are you gonna put this one on?, he just shrugged his shoulders and said " I might have to just buy me a new gun". This guy is an amazing shot, he has shot cow elk out to 1000 yds for customers that couldn't kill them cleanly and just wounded them and couldn't finish them off.

Talk about tough scopes, the day I delivered it to him, I was giving him the business about them and he said, "you could use these scopes as a hammer and it wouldn't hurt them a bit", and then dropped it on the floor from waist level.

Midway a few weeks ago had a sale on certain NF scopes,however they sold out before everyone got there sales paper.NF is a great scope. It is almost indestructible,glass is excellent, repeatability is outstanding, lots of choices on reticles. Is it better than S&B? I hate to say....no! But is it better than the rest? Yes.It is not cheap,but it is a scope that when you set it up to your rifle you will not have to worry will it do what it is supposed to do. I have used other brands that were not able to do this.In any case whatever you choose I hope it works out for you.

Originally Posted By: BigMoHeavy......
If you are concerned with how much you carry......
NF is heavy.

2.5-10x32 is only 19 oz... and I love mine !!

run the new high velocity reticle..

killer on coyotes !
thumbup.gif

To continue the Nightforce thread with new questions - what reticle is considered the best for varmint shooting? I am still on the fence about getting one $$$$ but I really want one! Never been shy about buying top line but NF seems to be over the top. NSX or Benchrest?

Originally Posted By: lyotehunteri would get the burris extreme tactial 30mm tube,i think they are better they will withstand a 50cal.and they are made in the U.S.A.

What makes the Burris better then the NSX?

Originally Posted By: lyotehunteri would get the burris extreme tactial 30mm tube,i think they are better they will withstand a 50cal.and they are made in the U.S.A.

lYotehunter,

I have seen through the Burris Extreme and they are hardly any different than swfa's super sniper scopes.. I don't know in what sense the Burris is better?? Can you please elaborate your thoughts?

-Juan

that NP 1RR reticle is awesome! how does the range finding work on it? to be more exact how big is your target when it is approximated for 300 yards?

The manual says to to figure 9" for the circle and 18" from the top of the circle to the baseline. They say 18"-20" is an average deer from brisket to shoulder and the average height of a coyote. I measured a full body mount I have. 21" to shoulder for a 35 pounder.

P.S. The above was an example based on your power setting. The manual says you can calibrate it to any size by putting a target of your desired height at 300 yards, and adjusting your power setting to match the height.

How does the NP R1 and NP R2 work? Do you have to be on specific power or does it work in the focal plane where the distance between the lines stay the same and magnify with the power? Question make sense??

I understand how the NP 1RR works with range finding. If I drop the big bucks, I dont want no surprises...

Originally Posted By: va_ken How does the NP R1 and NP R2 work? Do you have to be on specific power or does it work in the focal plane where the distance between the lines stay the same and magnify with the power? Question make sense??

I understand how the NP 1RR works with range finding. If I drop the big bucks, I dont want no surprises...

The NXS are second focal place, you'll need to use the highest magnification on the scope to use the ret.

I run NPR1's. One of my favorite rets. 1moa drops, 2 moa windage.

NPR2 is 2 moa's and 5 moa for windage.

NF F1 is the only FFP that NF makes to my knowledge and only offered in Mil/Mil.

Juanjo - still looking for a deal and trying to decide between NSX an BR model. Wondering if the side focus is worth $400 more than AO. And then reticle decisions... considering NP R1, NP R2 and NP 1RR. I believe if I go with NSX, I would get a 50mm. Open to suggestions and comments from NF users.

Originally Posted By: yoteaddictP.S. The above was an example based on your power setting. The manual says you can calibrate it to any size by putting a target of your desired height at 300 yards, and adjusting your power setting to match the height.

Im am courious. How would you adjust it to 358yds?. Seem's to me it would be more accurate to lazer the range and set the crosswire's to hit dead on at that range?

Back