Non Permanent Camo?

Lonnie

I have sprayed most of my guns with paint but I got a little Remington 700 BDL that I hate to mark up permanently and I sure like to use it for coyotes. Is there any non permanent paint out there anymore like the old "bowflage"? I have not been able to find any. Any suggestions?

Trust me, a camo job on a rifle for predator hunting, is more for the eyes of other predator hunters, the Ahh factor. Not one of my coyote calling rifles are camo'ed, and two have stainless barrels. If you admire the stock and finish on your Remington, just leave it alone, it won't make a bit of difference.

Last edited:
I might suggest some Veterinarians tape in like light tan color and take a magic marker and mark it up. Very cheap way to camo the gun without having to paint it. When you are done for the day take it off in a couple of minutes and you are all set. Or camo tape at sportsmans or bass pro.

If you are really worried about it, Cabelas and a few other places have camo gun sleeves that slip over your barrel, fore end, and stock. They even have sleeves for your scope. A buddy I hunt with doesn't use the scope sleeve but doesn't have a problem with his. You'd hate to mark up a beautiful gun!!

I am getting ready to pull the camo tape off of my rifle, clean up the residue, and then leave it clean so I fall into the "none needed if you like the look of the rifle" camp. Not sure of the exact terrain you are in but I sit mostly in low sagebrush and with the rifle in my lap or on the sticks the coyotes really don't have much of a chance of seeing the rifle as is. Got to remember that the coyote is much shorter than we are and from their angle they don't see things the way we do.

Paint it if you want I just hate to see you mark up a pretty gun. If you do paint though, it is never permenant. You can always strip the paint off and redo the stock later if you like. I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard not that long ago that was painted and just stripped it back and refinished the stock. Looks fairly good even with my feeble woodworking skills.

Quote:
Camo form protective wrap, I holds in place and doesn't leave a residue. I just used in on my wife's AR-15

I thought i might warn you if the tape gets wet it will still leave a residue on hte rifle when it dries. I was told the same thing got the rifle wet with some calling in the snow and when I took the tape off to rewrap it is had started to rust the barrel a little and left a residue on the stock.

Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't had any coyotes spot it yet but thought that shine might get me pegged every once in awhile.

I've been shooting coyotes for 45 years now and have never used a camo'd gun. The coyotes don't seem to notice any difference. Like Chile said it's more in the eyes of the hunter than the hunted.

Movement is the real killer as far as getting busted. Most of the time I don't wear any camo either.

lonnie..i wouldn't paint a nice remmy b.d.l. if it make's you feel better camo tape the barrel..just pull the tape of in the wet month's & check for rust..no biggie..i'm not a high end rifle guy..although i surely appreciate the look's & feel of a good wood stocked rifle..i do think a camo tape job..does help a guy with his grip wearing glove's in cold weather..other wise i wouldn't worry about it..of course only my two bit's..

I bought a rem 700 that was completely camoed, I used carburetor cleaner I bought at walmart, it did not hurt the high gloss finish at all it completely removed the camo paint from the metal and did very well on the stock only a small amount was left in the checkering. I believe this small amount would have ben removed too if I had used a tooth brush. I would try a small test spot first on your gun but it did not harm my 700. All carb cleaners may not be the same mine came in a blue can cheapest walmart sells in my area. Spray on a rag , hold against paint for a few seconds then wipe off.

I used the tape but did not pay attention to the may leave residue warning. Afte two years you could say that my rifle has a tactical, tactile and tacky feel to it. Have decided to leave the rest as is including this one once I get the sticky off of it.

Send Tony Tebbe at PM with your problem...He might have a simple solution... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I could not bring myself to paint my Encore, so heres what I'm going to do. I have a yard of white material I will cut just to cover what I want covered and zip tie it in place. Easy on, easy off.

t/c223encore.

Quote:
Trust me, a camo job on a rifle for predator hunting, is more for the eyes of other predator hunters, the Ahh factor. Not one of my coyote calling rifles are camo'ed, and two have stainless barrels. If you admire the stock and finish on your Remington, just leave it alone, it won't make a bit of difference.

I agree 100% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Both of my calling rifles have stainless barrels.
Christmas day I had a Coyote staring dead at me at 30yrds trying to figure out what I was. I was wearing reg Carhartt pants and carrying my LVSF.
I'de worry alot more about the wind and motion than the color of my rifle. IMO,,,,YMMV,,,,,etc,,,etc.........

Cabelas and Sportsmans sell a a camo fabric tape that only sticks to itself, just like the bandage tape that they put on your arm after you get blood drawn. Works great and you don't have to worry about anything leftover on your gun or barrel.

Camo Bow Tape... It's cheap and easy to apply and remove.

If you leave it on long enough to get a residue use WD-40 to wipe off the glue.

I've been using this system for a LOOONG time with no problems but rain could be a problem as the tape will trap moisture next to the rifle steel.

I use stainless synthetic rifles with no bow tape for hunting in the rain.

$bob$

Back