Not a pred. but its biology

Tommy Johnson

blackwhitetail_1.jpg

thought this was wierd.

NASA is that from melanite, or melanin? Don't hear the word much. Congratulation on the site
You will see the " oldtimer " there often.

I have heard it called "melanism" and as I understand it it is not a genetic mutation{usually from inbreeding/overpopulation} like the white phase called a "piebald". I understand it also is not a phase like the black color of certain gray squirrels or the cinnamon black bear. One thing for absolute certain is that it is extremely very rare. I have never seen this except in pictures and only seen one other picture of melanism taken by Eddie Bauer in Texas and in his book "Deer In there World". This deer belongs in a museum full body mounted!!!!

Hey oldtimer, you pegged it. Melanism is the opposite of albinism and occurs with about the same frequency. The genetic basis is not clearly understood, but inbreeding is considered partially responsible.

Melanin is the dark pigmentation which is responsible for the tanning process which occurs in humans when they're exposed to sunlight. In people it is actually a reaction to damage of the skin cells. A melanistic animal, however, has an increased amount of this black or nearly black pigmentation in the skin, feathers, hair, or other outer tissues. This is caused by a recessive gene just as in albinism. Many reptile breeders develop unique coloration patterns by taking advantage of this genetic anomaly.

Tommy_ I got this same picture at sent to me at work. The e-mail said it was killed in Michigan. What did yours say?

I was later told that it was a fake. I can't at this time prove or verify that it is a fake. But I do have it on pretty good authority.

A few things about Melanistic deer:

"Black or nearly black is called melanism. It is caused by over- production of melanin, a chemical responsible for dark pigmentation in animals. Melanistic deer will have a dark, almost black coat. This also tends to eliminate the normal white markings, particularly on the face and throat. This condition is particularly rare in whitetail."

Melanistic deer are the rarest of all colorations for deer. Only a handful have ever been documented.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/weirdwhitetails/wt_1201melanistic/

After dying it's hair, who ever it was also took shoe polish to his nose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

why would someone take the time to dye a deer black /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

After dying it's hair, who ever it was also took shoe polish to his nose
What other color would its nose be besides black? That is what they normally are here.

I didn't say it WAS a fake, but that I was told it was a fake. If it is, it was likely a doctored picture and not a doctored deer.

It very well may be real.

I contacted B&C Trophy watch and sent them the picture. They replied that they had already seen the picture. They said that they would keep me posted of any developments.

Way to go Yellowhammer. They will get to the bottom of this story real quick. Sure looks real to me but folks can do some mighty fine touchup with the computer. We'll see.

I looked at that photo on my other computer yesterday, and the photo is much more clear on that monitor. The better clarity does in fact change my mind a little, and I think that the photo may in fact be authentic. Time will tell.

There is a local taxadermist that has a black coyote. I will take a picture and post it for all to see. It does have some white v mark on the chest but it is all black. He said when he called it in he thought it was a dog? Mother nature sends some pretty wild curveballs?

I'd say without a doubt its real. Theres so many that are skeptical of any off colored or trophy class animals, that they automaticlly assume its a fake. Yellow Hammer I'm not pointing at you, I'm saying its the nature of people to cry foul.

They don't stop to think that there are exceptional animals out there cause they haven't seen any themselves.

You gotta admitt that they did a pretty good job not to get any dye on the base of the horns and they sure blended the tail just right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back