NYS Coyote Hunters

Almost like Dan Fitzgerald's video where he "baited deer" by burying himself in a huge pile of carrots with just his head & arms sticking out. With the bow in hand, he took one of the carrots and flung it off his bowstring like an arrow......just plain funny........I miss that part of hunting video's.

Like I mentioned though, Primo's video's seem to have that quality.....makes hunting fun.

It all probably got serious when the animal activists started their sh*t...who knows.

Take care,
Bob

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie from Long Island. I've got a new rifle, some calls and desire to learn. I don't have hunting rights anywhere so I'm way behind the curve. If anyone's not too far away and wouldn't mind showing me the ropes I'd be grateful.

Good Hunting,

Doug

Welcome Hanz,

That's a little ways from the coyotes but you've got fox down there.

There's some real sharpies here. Read, listen and experiment. Success will come.

Perri

Perri,

Yeah, no yotes on Long Island. Everytime one gets across one of the bridges they trap it. I can only hunt here, on the island with a shotgun or bow. Unfortunately the spot I did see fox in is now owned by the town and closed for hunting. I can try the DEC and see if they can help me at all on the Island.
I wouldn't mind going for a ride for a chance at some coyotes though. Your right, I need to see what works. I got this new AR15 and I'd love to hunt with it. Thanks to the threads here I made a remote "Radio Shack" caller and have a couple CDs.
I owe it to myself to give something a try.
Thanks,
Doug

Fred,

I'm glad to see another Long Islander here! I forgot that I have that permit. When I was filling it out I did select night hunting! Thanks to my hunting dog I'm familiar with the co-op system and the hunter check station in Ridge. I'm going to have a hard time getting out of the house without my dog come to think of it. I just remembered he chased a Red Fox on the DEC land in Deer Park. I have to admit that I'm a little spooked about going in the dark the first time but at least here on the island I don't have to worry about bears, cougars, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'll suck it up.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction,

Doug

Yeah 29 is an awful lot... at least around here it is. I'm trying to find out who this guy is. A few of the guys I know shoot one or two during the deer season but I have yet to PERSONALLY meet anyone that has shot (by calling them) that many in a season. I believe there are some guys that do, just no one I've personally spoke with. Shooting them off of bait piles is different too. There are a few that get killed by woodchuck hunters and the farmers who keep a gun on the tractor. The farmers tell me to shoot them on sight but frankly I'll pass on that.

Got two pieces of property I'm trying to gain access to now. They're probably about ... 300 - 400 acres combined. The owners are from downstate and value their deer. I suspect they'll be agreeable to me weeding out a few 'yotes' before and after the season. The real beauty is that I can hunt the properties on both ends of the road bordering these parcels. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Only about 3 weeks to go. Don't think my fingernails will last that long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif LOL

Perri

Perri,

With the number of years I've been at it, and how hard we've hunted, I wouldn't go so far as to call this BS, but "highly unlikely" might be the phrase I'd use.

Our local dog hunters usually get maybe 30-40 on a decent year. And I think if you were right in the middle of it all (a large population of them), calling them, and with everything in your favor, a dozen would be almost hard to believe.

BHW is in some good coyote area (Fairport & Wayne Co.), what's your take here ?
Dont' want to be too harsh, or too quick in calling something BS...but, man I don't know about that one.

Call me pessimistic I guess....you get that way after chasing them for a few years.

knockem'- Gotta agree, maybe over bait or something ???

Gotta go now and increase my adrenalin levels by watching some more video's while reloading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care,
Bob

Bob,

From a previous post:

"Shoot, I don't see 29 in a whole year driving, hunting, etc." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Anything is possible......but my quote from a previous post sums it up. Guess I'll just have to concede that this "guy" is exponentially more skilled than I am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Being so new to this game, I wouldn't say I'm pessimistic but I often scratch my head and ask how can a d*mn wild dog be smarter than me????? I thought we were at the top of the food chain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Of course this area of NY has coyotes like some of the western states. Oh yeah, you can call in 3 or 4 at a time. It will be in the video..... LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Perri

Ok guys,

Here is my take on this number thing...

Yes, 29 can occur. Clint List, Bark At The Moon Coyote Club Pro Staffer, called in and shot 35 or 37 (sorry, I can't remember) coyotes last season right here in the Rochester area. His fox total was way up there as well. No bait, just calling. To his credit, he hunts every day and night and still has a full time job.

I, on the other hand, call in 20 red fox for every 1 coyote. I have not been seeing them This summer, I drove all across the state on several occasions and the only coyote I ever saw was a dead pup on the road.

It is definately a tough hunt in NY and you guys are "right on" when you speak of perfect set ups and empty results! The key is finding productive area using a variety of approaches.

You can hear Clint discuss his tactics and techniques on December 9. 2006 at our next seminar at Gander Mountain in Henrietta, NY. I'll post more about it later or check out the Bark at the Moon Website (just google it. Oh yes, we are having a social event at Hooter's after the seminar!

It won't be long, guys and we can get out and hunt them and share our stories /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Here are some warm up pics from Labor Day. I like to hunt squirrels to get in the woods and check deer sign...

431894.jpg

431896.jpg

431898.jpg

Well BHW.....color me learned....

Must be there's a whole lot more up near the city. Folks are probably hand feedin' up there....LOL

I'll guarantee you wouldn't pull those numbers down here...not even fox...
It sounds like you guys are in one helluva honey hole.
Hell man, I'd stay put!

On a good year, I'll take maybe 10-12 nice fox, and maybe a couple of coyotes, but that's about it. Most of the fox we shoot come in when we're calling for yotes. We got a hot spot just for fox up near Batavia, and it's loaded with them.
The first time I went there with good ol'e Dennis, and ripped off a few distress calls, I wasn't even through my first series and two of them almost ran me over. Scared the sh*t outta me. They came from behind me and missed hitting me by a couple of feet. Never heard them coming.
But even though it's hot for fox, my first coyote was killed there a few years back. Yep, while calling for fox !!!!????....go figure.

I don't go out everyday, but I'd say at least 3 to 4 days a week, and I'm retired.
With work, I'd make it out at least 2, so the odd's are on his side. (Maybe not his wife & family though ?)

Usually, when I go out, it's for the whole day, taking a break in the middle somewhere. Mostly night & early, early morning. I've been out (when the moon's full, & snow's on the ground) as early as 3 or 4 AM.
Nice chance of catching them crossing the fields, or edges.

We just got invited to a new spot up near the north end of Livingston Co. which is "reportedly" filthy with them. The sign we've seen during scouting supports these reports, so we'll see. It's loaded with track & scat.
I'm going up there sometime this weekend around 11PM and howl a little, so maybe I can place the SOB's.

My hat's off to that boy, for sure.

Oh, by the way....Dennis & I are off Sat. on a "Squirrel Safari". He's using his S&W Mod41, and I'm using my Ruger MkII. I had to stop by Wally World and grab one of those cheap BSA 30mm dots because my eye's have crapped the bed and I can't see my open sights as good as I once did. Used to shoot PPC and I was pretty sharp with the open sights on handguns....but when the eye's go, it's a hard pill to swallow. Don't like hunting with my glasses on.
The dot looks like fun anyway.

Just for S's & Giggles, I went through the plates on my range like those guys in the "speed shoots" in the Bianchi Cup.....(okay, way not as fast....)
My kids were laughing their butts off watching.....

Gotta go reload..........

Take care,
Bob

I was going to mention Clints name, but I wasnt sure on his yearly total for coyotes. It seemed most of the time I was on the Bark at the Moon website he had shot another coyote. I went to BHW and Clints seminar last year and Clint mentioned several times he would call a spot just after someone left skunked and he could call some in. I have never heard of anyone else around here coming close to as good as he does. He hunts many of the same areas as me and let me tell you I stil have yet to see 10 coyotes in a hunting season.
I reloaded another box of shells, I mounted my Lightforce 170, Im waiting for my new calls and videos to come in the mail, October 1st can't come soon enough.

Joe,

We've done that once or twice....especially on the state lands. Two years ago, after the dog hunter's left the area, we called in one coyote that was probably returning to his den area after a long chase.
Calling one in after being run by the dogs is almost impossible.....we got lucky, I'll admit.

The time prior, we were at Allegheny State Park and followed into an area where guys were just leaving. We could hear them calling as we got out of our truck and they were using the generic "cottontail in distress" call.

We went in and sat for a good 45mins before calling at all, and then only let out a few yelps and barks after the cottontail failed to produce for the other fella's. One short howl after a few minutes, and we saw the movement in a treeline across a gully about 75yds. Moving the scope up, I could see the backline, then the head and ear tips. The yote was in the shadows, and with the naked eye, you couldn't make out a thing.
Dennis had a clearer shot and after he saw me scope the spot, and he did the same, I waived him on. Bang, flop.....nice female at 42lbs.

The situations are few & far between.....or at least not close enough to suit me. But, I guess if they were an "every hunt event" it wouldn't be as exciting when you do nail one.

This year will be different.....! (yeah, I know, I said that last year as well.....poop!)

Take care,
Bob

I'm sure there are guys that can and do do it but...... they seem to be the exception and not the rule. Not trying to hackle any feathers. Clint makes time to hunt and he is certainly an exceptional predator hunter. At least from the exploints, reports and photos posted about him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Hey Andrew, I asked on the other site.... when you guys coming out this way? I'll even help you find a location for the seminar. I could sure use a little coyote-edumacation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Getting back to Clint, he's certainaly committed. And I'm sure that he sees things in a way that 90% of us can't and maybe never will. He has got this thing dialed in. As for me, I just can't think of anything I've ever hunted that has me so screwed up. LOL They're in my head like an evil woman. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Oct 1 hurry up and get here.

Perri

PS: those squirrels bring back a lot of memories. Great eating!!

Perri,

Yes, Clint is a super hunter! I am amazed at his success, not only with the predators, but all game. Did I mention that he eats the coyotes??????????? Just the hearts actually!

According to my online polls and trackings, Bob's (handgunr)harvest numbers are actually higher than most folks in NY. If you assume that most folks call predators starting after deer season (which takes us right to xmas practically) that leaves you with around 7 weeks of fox season and scoring one or two a week is a strong feat. Even with more coyote opportunity left after fox season, it is still hard to score them with all of the pressure that they are receiving.

Predator density is a major factor and we do not have it compared to other states!

bhw

BHW,

Yes, then you factor in the thought that a local dog hunting group will net usually 20-30 coyotes per season, and then factor in that (especially around here) there's more than one (3 actually), they really put a hit on the local populations.
Caller's themselves have to travel far & wide sometimes to connect. We put on some hellatious miles during a season.

One or two nice coyotes is about the average, but last year I ended up with zip....Dennis nailed one during deer season last year when it was pushed into him by hunters on another ridge.
The new area that were preparing to hit this season, more than likely, won't last for long. There's a group of dog hunters that cleaned out the old area about 5 miles from there. It won't take them long before they hear of this pocket of coyotes and head over to hunt it.
Also remember, dog's running those coyote's can't read posted signs, and several of the handler's know that. They'll let their dogs go in and root out the coyotes on posted property and then push them onto lands where they can be shot.
The coyotes have no "safe havens", and several land owners get real pi$$ed. We used to have permission on two seperate pieces near here, and since the owner had issues with a certain group of guys running dog's, he's now posted his land to "ALL" hunting. Man was I mad. Good spots too. I get permission every year, pre-season, and last year I got a "nope, sorry, we had to post things up because......."
Not to sound bitter, and I support legal forms of hunting, but the two styles conflict somewhat, and it can get very frustrating. I've mentioned before that it can work to your advantage if the conditions are right. But they rarely do.

Calling them in isn't as much a problem if they're there.
Heavy hunting pressure, by caller's, and mainly by dog hunters, will educate them quickly into being totally nocturnal within a smaller window of time. Where they used to come out at dusk and feed all night, heading in during the early morning hours of daylight, now they'll wait until way past dusk, and shorten their stay away from their dens.

Just the fact of hunter's being in the woods during deer season makes a big difference, not to mention the fact of them being persued by dogs.

Where we'll have successes, is in the area's where they've been left alone and are willing and feel free to investigate distress calls.

Don't know....it's always a learning curve with them.

Take care,
Bob

Had a close encounter of the first kind tonight.

Couldn't take the anticipation any longer. So while my chicken was roasting on the Weber kettle, I ran out back to see if I could call in one the local foxes. (just for practice and filming)

I get into the woods about 300 yards from the house. Start easing another 100 yds down an old log road. Get almost to where I want to place the caller and around the bend comes trotting a coyote. He was only 30 yards away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I stop, he stops. We're both caught off guard. He spins and trots back around the bend. Not to frightened.

Maybe the season will start the same way, except with a slightly different ending. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back