One heck of a week....Arghhh!

TonyTebbe

When it rains it pours, they say. Not only did I lose the entire litter of pups, earlier this week, but now I had a kennel accident. My Sadie dog, the ridgeback/catahoula cross female that I've been training, decided to be a kennel climber some time today and got her back leg hung up on the top of the fence. Snapped her hind leg in half about 3 inches above her foot and was hanging upside down in the hot 100+ degree sun all day. She's weak, drinking and eating....but worthless as a hunting dog now. Arghh!!

Just needed to vent to those who understand and know what I have to do tomorrow.

Tony

When you feel down, just remember what its like whe things come together. The fun of the hunt, how you feel when your dogs are taking care of their buisness. Everyone who has experienced the loss of a good dog should feel for you. I know I do. Good Luck
DaFUnk

Dang it Tony!, I was just telling my buddy that he should buy that dog from you. He is having a week like you almost. His dog that he was using as a decoy, jumped out of his truck and got killed. I have been after him to call you to see if you still had one of Gunners little girls left.

Sorry to hear about that.

I can only hope it gets better for you.

Very sorry Tony.
Unfortunately sometimes when it rains it pours.
Hoping things will get better for you.
Take care

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I played with the pups tonight to cheer me up. I'm working on teaching them the "down" command, as my arms are all scratched up with them. They are attention seekers.

I shot a jackrabbit through the back legs and got them on it, like the other day. Watching them chase the rabbit helped clear my mind, plus a hot meal for them. They didn't quite know what to do with it when they caught it, as it was twice the size of them.
smile.gif

I need to call a guy from Phoenix that is interested in one of the pups. I still have 2 available, maybe 1 after I talk with him. They are all doing great and progressing quickly.

I'll evaluate Sadie in the morning, as I didn't want to make a rash decision on her. She's been showing promise as a decoy dog, but most likely I'll have to put her out of her misery and pain.

Appreciate it.

Tony

Tony, I not longer have dogs, but used to help my stepdad raise and train his bird dogs... I know how attached you can get to a good one and have to put it down due to whatever..

Keep you chin up friend..

Tony, sorry to hear that. It seems some times we can't win for losing. It'll come back around. Thank the Good Lord for the good times and ask for help in the bad times and it'll all work out in the end.

No. When I went to water and feed last night, she acted like her back hips were broken, let alone the broken leg. She wouldn't eat or drink. I had to carry her and put her out of her misery.

Ironically, 20 minutes later my daughter's boyfriend came over with two female pitbull pups that he found stranded at an oil pump. Someone had dumped them. 105 degrees, no shade, no food, no water. Skinny and dehydrated. He kept a chocolate and white one and gave a light blonde and white one to us. My wife said to keep her. I'll worm her, feed her, train her and see what she becomes. If the Gunner/Mattie litter turns out good, I may have another breeder.

Thanks all...

Tony

Back