oopsy doopsy

You are entitled to get your rifle back, or the fair market value of it in the condition it was in when you dropped it off, if it can't be returned. That's the way a court would see it.

You are not entitled to a replacement costing more than the fair market value of your rifle. You get nothing extra for your time, hurt feelings, inconvenience, etc.

I would want my rifle back or cash equivelent.

I'd not feel comfortable about getting any other firearm in "trade" for what was lost.

Quote:

Here is the question. If he cant find it what firearm would you want for equivalent value (approx. 400$)? Why?

Here are my thoughts tikka 22-250, glock 31 357 sig, 6.8 upper, 243 win, or 25-06 in 98 mauser.

I'd want my own gun back. But it doesn't matter what people on a forum would want anyhow. If it's going to you, all that matters is what you want.

Cash always trades well. If he can't find your rifle you should take the cash and definitely file a report. No excuses for this the way I see it.

I guess my concern would be if the Savage was registered in your name. You never know nowdays where that gun could turn up. Maybe notify BATF that you no longer have the rifle.

Wow, I like some of the responses. The gunsmith has been very good through this. He knows who has the rifle, but cannot get through to him. He stated several times this has never happened to him in 30 years. He also said I'll do whatever I can to make this right. The 30-06 was a corner gun. That means it sat in the corner for the 4 years i've owned it. It is in great shape, but I dont use it because I use my 270 in win mod. 70.

I sure do like that cash trades well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why did it take you seven months to get your rifle after you decided you did'nt want the work done? Probably a question that I'm sure Judge Judy would ask you.Don't get me wrong, but someone some time will eventually ask this question.

Quote:
Why did it take you seven months to get your rifle after you decided you did'nt want the work done? Probably a question that I'm sure Judge Judy would ask you.Don't get me wrong, but someone some time will eventually ask this question.

Life happened, wasn't on the top of the list to get a rifle that I didn't use anyways.

Sorry I did'nt finish my statement. I'm diffently on your side. Anyone with posession of someone elses property be it firearm, truck or whatever is liable for keeping track of it. If they have lost it, or damaged it, they darn well better be able to replace it. I was just curious why it took so long.

Quote:
Sorry I did'nt finish my statement. I'm diffently on your side. Anyone with posession of someone elses property be it firearm, truck or whatever is liable for keeping track of it. If they have lost it, or damaged it, they darn well better be able to replace it. I was just curious why it took so long.

Judge Judy was also curious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Just ask him for the 400 dollars minus the 7 month storage fee of your rifle and the hourly rate of his time spent researching options for the rebarrel job he did not get to do.

As stated in the original post the issue with rebarreling the rifle was customer service. We would go a week or two without talking. I would call this gentleman on the phone and he would have answers, and then nothing would happen. That lasted a month to a month and a half. I work in a service based industry. I strongly beleive every business should be customer driven. If it is not, then i move on. I do not tolerate poor customer service at all. If the gunsmith had good customer service right now I would posess a savage 114 rebarreled to a 35 whelen. I have very high expectations and I know what I want. If a business is not able to meet those expectations I will not do business. I hope that answers your thoughts about "storage", and "research". No this gentleman will not receive any business from me again, and I will not recomend the establishment to anyone. Any other questions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Well it looks like to me you were not to attached to the gun in the first place, so I would find a gun I wanted or am interested in and work a deal with the dealer. I understand he wes irresponsible however you were already unhappy with the gun or you would not have wanted it rechambered. So work with the guy and hopefully he will work with you. Let us know he out come and Good Luck.

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry Catshooter but bad idea. The guy needs to make it right with him and quick.

There was a bit of "Tongue-in-cheek" there, which you should have seen...

Your very right that the ole tongue in cheek thing is hard to detect on a computer screen that is devoid of emotion. I agree wholeheartedly that the civil suit is a very strong motivator for the vast majority of people. I dont disagree at all about that approach. I just wouldnt misrepresent the facts if your willing to take that step.

Why would he need to notify BATF big10gauge? The 4473 that is completed at the time of purchase is not a registration, its a background check. The FBI NICS does not even ask any information on the gun outside of whether its a handgun or a long gun. They never get the make, model or serial number. The 4473 stays on file with the FFL. It would be no different than selling a firearm. I dont notify BATF when I do that. If that gun ends up in the wrong hands and could be traced back to the original owner it would be the gunsmiths problem in this case. He was the last person to have his hands on it.

You didn't like the 300wsm?

GJ

O I guess it wasn't yours? Sorry about your lose.

(Why do you like 30-06's?)

Last edited:
Quote:
You didn't like the 300wsm?

GJ

O I guess it wasn't yours? Sorry about your lose.

(Why do you like 30-06's?)

I think 30-06 is one of the best cartridges of all time. It can do everything. I already own a 270 in a mod. 70 winchester. This is my first rifle my dad gave me. Thats why i use the 270. The 270 can do most things the 30-06 can do. If I ever go on a brown bear hunt in alaska I would like something a little bigger than an 30-06. The 270 works perfect for da U.P.

My question is the man who has your gun that he cannot get hold of doesn't know that it's not his Im sorry mabey just me but I know every scratch and dent of mine. I know them inside and out just seems a little wierd that some one would pick up a rifle or whatever at a gunsmith and not know that it was not the one that they droped off hey mabey this guy just needed to use a 06 for a couple of weeks and you hadnt picked up the gun or called about it in a couple months , just me jumpin to conclusions just seems weired hey he might have been renting it as a loaner for a week at a time I'll shutup now

Why would he need to notify BATF big10gauge? The 4473 that is completed at the time of purchase is not a registration, its a background check. The FBI NICS does not even ask any information on the gun outside of whether its a handgun or a long gun. They never get the make, model or serial number. The 4473 stays on file with the FFL. It would be no different than selling a firearm. I dont notify BATF when I do that. If that gun ends up in the wrong hands and could be traced back to the original owner it would be the gunsmiths problem in this case. He was the last person to have his hands on it.

WyoSongDog , This is my understanding of how it works in Washington State.

You are correct in the 4473. There can be an issue if the dealer that originally sold the rifle is now out of business, BATF now has those records if that is the case. If a FFL goes out of business they must transfer the records to the BATF or they are required to keep them for 75 yrs. If it is a handgun, different rules and another form apply and the FFL dealer has a limited time to send one of the copies to Olympia. The steps taken to trace a firearm is first the manufacturer lets them know what wholesaler bought it, then the wholesaler has records of what FFL bought it then the FFL has the records of what individual bought it. Once it has gone into a private sale it can be no longer traceable if private records are not kept. A friend sold a pistol at a gun show, several years later a police dept from another city called him and said his pistol was confiscated during a drug raid. He was on the hot seat and had to answer some very pointed questions for quite awhile since he did not keep a record of selling his pistol. But he did manage to get the pistol returned to him since he was the last registered owner even though he had sold it privately. I would rather make sure if I lost a gun that it was dutifully noted by BATF or actually anywhere else if possible. Might be overkill on my part but better safe than sorry and might save me having to take the time to answer to some law enforcement as to how and why my gun was used at a later date. I'm not a believer in the presumed innocent until proven guilty anymore. But you may be right I'm not sure exactly what a person should actually do to legally record a lost gun other that report it to the local law enforcement. On your statement you are also counting on the gunsmith to fess up that he misplaced the gun. Doesn't sound like he kept good records to begin with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Yoopereh,
I have one question...Do you have ANY paperwork from this guys shop saying that you turned over that rifle to him for work? If you don't, if all this was just words between you and him, this could get ugly. He may have ruined your rifle working on it and did not want to admit it. Then as time went by he thought he was in the clear. When he is pushed into a corner to produce your gun, he may say...What gun? I never had your gun. Then who ya gonna call..Ghost Busters???? Just a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Back