PEEP-SIGHTS for coyote hunting...whats your opinion

crossfox21

Interested to hear from those who have used these types of sights for coyote hunting or for long distance shooting.

What's your favorite brand? Pros? Cons?

Let's hear about it from all you "Quigley Down Under" folks!

Thanks in advance, Jerry

I had a "99" Savage with Peep sights on it. Two hundred yards if the front bead is small is doable on a coyote. For true long range hunting of coyotes ...... you would need a scope.

Three 44s

I've used apertures on .223 AR-15's, M1 .30-06 Garands, .30 Cal. M1 Carbines, M14 .308's, a couple of Ruger Mini 14's, a Ruger 10/22, a Remington 7600 .30-06, Winchester .30-30 M94's, Marlin lever .44 Magnum 94's, .30-30 336's, M39 .22LR, and 1895 .45-70. Almost forgot the Ghost Ring sighted Benelli semi-auto and Remington M870 .12 gauges. I like them very much. They are extremely lightweight and rugged. Rain, snow, and internal or external fogging doesn't affect them much at all. The aperture sight doesn't affect the natural balance point of the firearm. When one is accustomed to them they are very, very, quick to use. Much arguement over which is faster, the aperture or a wide angle low power scope. Very good shooting can be done with a proper aperture sight and under certain conditions or on certain firearms I absloutely prefer the "peep" sight. The XS Sight System is all steel, rugged, and a very good sight. Lyman and Williams market decent aperture sights and front blade/bead combo's. The older ones made of steel are superior sights, however, as you might guess they are scarce and raise a premium in price. Long distance and small targets would have me choosing a scope. Not that an aperture sight can't be accurate enough for such a chore. Just that I may not be accurate enough with an aperture sight, for the chore. Timber and brush hunting is a natural for this sight and I often choose one of my peep sighted rifles for whitetail hunting, and occasionally, predator calling.

I had this type of sight on most of my rifles. I had a gunsmith install them on my Ruger 77's and Rem 700's. Thats all I used for years but my eyes changed as I got older and I eventually removed them and installed scopes. IMO, peep sights are the best sight there is. Mine were all Williams.

I've got Williams Peeps on a .30-06 Mauser and a White Thunderbolt and have used them on a number of rifles as well as standard Ruger Mini-14 peep. They are fast, rugged, and reliable. For a guy who bangs around in the truck and has a lot of grab and go opportunities I don't think you can beat them.

I've got a Williams peep on the Marlin 30-30 I used in Cowboy Silhouette competition (no glass allowed) with a fire fly front bead. I haven't shot comp in awhile but I do use the 30-30 for coyotes occasionally just for kicks.

I take the aperture piece out and, voila, I have a "ghost ring". Very quick target acquisition, and very good on moving targets.

For long range they work fine too, but old eyes can start being a pain. On my Rem 40XC Highpower comp gun (again no scope allowed), I have Olympic Redfield peep (there's better nowadays) and a globe front sight. That's for targets, but in the hands of a good rifleman (with good eyes), it's as accurate as a scope would be for most.

Back