Photon 4.6XT Update

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpInitially the Photon was somewhat amazing and then disappointing. I actually received it from 6mm06 on a full moon, and I was amazed at how good it could see with just ambient light. I don't think he had tested it in full moon light, and I knew his homemade NV didn't see well with ambient light. Then, when I tried it with IR lighting it began to disappoint as the picture was grainy, pretty blurry, and it was very hard to focus. Focus ring was very stiff and there wasn't much leeway in the adjustment. I was using a strong LLTL-001 that 6mm06 had sent me previously. It was focusable but only had one power. I'm pretty sure that was part of the reason he was having a hard time with the grainy and blurry picture focus, as 6mm06 was using the same light.

I then ordered the T-20 which was equally as powerful but had three power settings of 15%, 50%, and 100%. The lower power settings made the grainy picture much better but it was still not as sharp an image as I thought I needed. I did manage to kill two reds at about 90 yds with it like that, but missed a coyote at 150. Next I purchased the Doubler which made a world of difference in clarity and of course the extra magnification was nice at distance. The Doubler also cuts down on the amount of IR light entering the scope which in itself helps limit the grainy picture, and with three powers and focus to use on the IR light it was pretty easy to adjust to get a good picture.

However, the Doubler doesn't work well for calling as the field of view is too narrow. Also taking the Doubler off to go calling and putting it back on to shoot over the bait pile was problematic. Removing and reinstalling the doubler has to be done to the exact tightness each time or the POI won't remain the same when the doubler is reinstalled. The POI will not be the same with the doubler as it is without the doubler, but that is easy to fix by writing down the numbers with or without. I have marked it by scribing a line across the doubler and coupler so that it goes back to the exact same place each time, but I am still not comfortable without checking the POI after reinstalling.

You already know about the 22mm hole so I won't repeat that. Currently I am awaiting the arrival of the IR module and variable switch for a Sniper Hog 66LR that I already had. I also ordered a 50LR head as well. When I get that in, I will report on how it compares to the T-20 with each of the heads and the variable power. If it works as I expect, the Sniper Hog will go on the bait pile rig and I will get another Photon 4.6 XT to use for calling with the T-20.

Any update on the Sniper Hog light IR module? I am on the fence between it and the T-20. Thanks.

I'm trying it Wade. I like the total control of the intensity level for sure. I tried it with the 50LR head mounted on the accessory rail on the scope. I thought it did okay, but not enough superior to be worth the extra over my T-20. I also tried it mounted on top with the 66LR head it seems to have a bit more range and I liked the picture a bit better than with the 50LR. I've just ordered another Photon today. I will keep the one for the bait site with the doubler attached using Sniper Hawg and either one of the heads and use the new Photon for calling with the T-20. I haven't been able to shoot any video yet, been calling the past two nights and I don't try to shoot video calling, just too much going on. It is raining tonight so no video here at the bait site tonight either. Sorry I don't have more info or video to show you. I got my T-20 for $78 off E-bay. I already had batteries and chargers so that wasn't an issue for me. I've been very pleased with that little light. I think it is about $82 now from same supplier.

DoubleUp, Thanks for the information. I took my Photon out last night hog hunting but was only able to shoot a raccoon (1st animal I've taken with the Photon). I enjoyed playing with the Photon. I'll have to try to find that T-20 you're talking about to look at the specs. I already have the battery and charger for the Sniper Hog light and all of the mounting accessories so I would only need to buy the light (I was considering the 30LR with IR module).

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI think that would work fine, but I'd go ahead and get the variable control as well.

Ordered the 30LR with the variable control tail-cap, IR LED module and a 50LR head for good measure today. Hopefully I'll have it by the weekend so I can give it a try. The onboard IR just doesn't give me quite enough illumination at 100-125yd. I can see deer great, coons and rabbits not so great. I'll report back after I give the new illuminator a try.

Double up you are certainly providing a wealth of information on this scope! Each configuration mentioned could possibly suit a wide variety of hunter's needs so keep it coming.

I've thoroughly enjoyed sitting back and waiting for your updates as I haven't been able to get afield lately due to the j-o-b

Thanks Benny, I called and killed a coyote tonight using the Photon with the T-20 IR. I will give exact distance tomorrow, but well over 100 yds. Sorry no video as there is too much going on for me to attempt it calling. Here is a not very good picture from tonight's hunt.

The 22mm hole really does make a nice difference on focus using the IR, much sharper. I've intended to do some more videos at 90 and 150 yds but just can't find time to work it in right now.

The lasered distance was 133 yds. This is a new scope I received yesterday and set up just for calling. Sighted it in yesterday afternoon and went coyote calling last night. We were setup on a T-road and my hunting buddy was scanning two of the roads with my thermal and I was watching the other one with the Photon. He came out in the road quite a bit farther away but came right down the road. He stopped at the 133 yd. distance and since I could see him clearly I took the straight on chest shot. I hit him just a little left of center and the 35 gr. Berger blew out the back side of his shoulder, and he was down for the count. The intensity level on the new Photon is a little different than the old one and requires a different setting, but I'll get it adjusted to give the best brightness, clarity, and focus. Well satisfied with the outcome for a new out of the box scope.

That's great DoubleUp. You are really putting the Photons through their paces. Your reviews are going to help a lot of Photon users get optimal performance from their scopes.

You mentioned that the intensity level is different on the new scope vs the old one. Do you mean the new one is more light sensitive?

Did the new scope come with the same lens cap with the 22mm hole as the one you received recently?

What do you think of the clarity / graininess of the new scope vs the old one, or can you tell any difference?

Actually 6mm06 I don't think I can see quite as far with this one, so I would say it is probably less sensitive, but I haven't had enough time to figure out the intensity level needed yet. Yes, the lens cover has the removable insert. It does make a lot of difference on this scope as well. The focus ring is much easier to turn, but not a lot of range in between focus and out of focus.

DoubleUp, I received my Sniper Hog Lights 30LR light with the IR module last night and tried it out around the house. When I use the IR LED and the variable tailcap, I am getting horizontal lines (alternating light and dark) on the screen distorting the image. When I use the push button tailcap the image is clear. Have you used the variable tailcap and did it work ok for you?

It is most likely because you're going to 100% power immediately with the push button. You should be able to focus the lines out with the focus control. All light modules that I have seen have that to some degree just before full focus is reached, but can usually be eliminated with full focus or backing off the focus slightly. I have noticed the variable control can have some flashing, but I've been able to tune that out.

It takes a combination of zoom/focus and intensity to get the best lighting, but as you get a feel for it you will know automatically what you need and can pretty much get it almost instantly. Example: Set the focus the way you want it for best picture and then you only have to bring up the intensity level with the variable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpIt is most likely because you're going to 100% power immediately with the push button. You should be able to focus the lines out with the focus control. All light modules that I have seen have that to some degree just before full focus is reached, but can usually be eliminated with full focus or backing off the focus slightly. I have noticed the variable control can have some flashing, but I've been able to tune that out.

It takes a combination of zoom/focus and intensity to get the best lighting, but as you get a feel for it you will know automatically what you need and can pretty much get it almost instantly. Example: Set the focus the way you want it for best picture and then you only have to bring up the intensity level with the variable.

Got it all figured out this weekend using light focus and Photon focus/contrast. Thanks for the help. I really like the 30LR/50LR from Sniper Hog Lights with the IR module. Made a huge improvement in image quality vs Photon's onboard IR. The dimmer/variable tailcap is very quiet and gives you excellent control over the brightness of the IR (from almost undetectable to 100%).

Here is a video I posted last week in the baiting section of the Photon 4.6 with doubler on a coyote kill at my bait site which is at 95 yds. I am using IR lighting on my shop for the shot. The Photon was mounted on a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Rem. using a 25 gr. Hornady hp. Unfortunately as the video shows the coyote stepped forward just as I squeezed trigger resulting in hitting her slightly farther back than a shot that would have been a DRT. She ran approximately 50 yds into the field before piling up. As you can see I went to the weapon mounted light at that point which was the Sniper Hawg 50LR with variable conrol.

Within 15 minutes a big male showed up at the bait site, but I had turned the alarms off when the first coyote showed up and had not turned them back on. It was almost an hour later that I decided to scan the field with the thermal before going to bed. I saw this coyote in the field at about 300 yds. but by the time I got the rifle in place I couldn't find him in the scope. So I picked the thermal back up and realized he had already moved back to the bait site. At this point I sort of panicked because bait site doubles are rare. I didn't take the time to turn on the dvr to record the shot through the Photon. I did get a part of the shot on one of the trail cams. This is what should happen and does when a coyote is hit properly with the 25 gr. Hornady hp.

Here's the pair the next morning. As you can tell the male was quite a bit larger than this female. I figure she must have been last year's pup held back as she was not bred this year.

On Friday night my buddy and I called this one and I shot him at 165 yds with a Photon without a doubler mounted on my Savage in 204 using a 35 gr. Berger hp. This was a shoulder shot and broke his shoulder. He did two spins before taking a dirt nap. I don't try to video when calling as there is just too much happening for me to keep up with video too.

Back