PLEASE HELP Me Build the Best Coyote/Varmint AR

coyotekilla43

I'm starting my first at build. Already bought the lower. Now I'm trying to decide on an upper, optics, and reloading info cause I reload. Plan on it being a closer coyote gun. 300yds max. I'd like to use a 18in or 20in, not exactly sure out of all sizes are best, but I've heard good things about those sizes. I need opinions on what upper, upper parts, optics, bullets, powder, and I'd also take some calling advice to. I highly appreciate all output and if I have success will sure post it on here. Help me with what you can, thanks!!

Last edited:
JMO but if you want an all around AR and you reload, you cant go wrong with a 6.5 grendel. I reload 85gr, 100gr and 123gr over 8208 and they all shoot good out of mine. For what its worth my 10yr old son shot his first elk with the 123amax at 262yds with my grendel.

I have to agree. But really you can't go wrong with any cartridge in an AR frame. I really like the 6.5 Grendel as well as the 6.8 SPC. But for calling I like something on the 5.56 based case. The main reason I say that is they aren't quite as expensive when you lose them... I hate losing expensive brass, and I hate shell catcher's too.

I'm pretty set on .223. I already have a bolt action and love it. And if I've got about 500 brass I need to reload so, I think I'll stick with the .223. But thanks! What length of barrel would you guys suggest? As well as reloads, and optics?

I like the 18" barrel(3/4" at the gas block with full dia. back to the upper) with a 9" MI freefloat forearm. I also like a 4X12 scope with an AO on it.
thumbup.gif

Flyrodder.

I would build the upper myself. Get a good barrel and trigger and the rest is aesthetics and ergonomics in my opinion. I wouldn't be afraid to run a DPMS barrel (all the ones I have owned have shot pretty well) or if you have a bit more time visit Black Hole Weaponry and order one of theirs. The 1:8 twist will handle nearly any 223 bullet. I would stay in the 50-60gr range.

Here is my 18" mid gas BHW 223. It has a new barrel on it now (that is BHW as well) and I think it shoots a bit better than the first.

I agree with Smokin Barrel, I'd build my own with a nice barrel and trigger being the priority.
Out to 300 I wouldn't go over 16" personally, in fact I hunt with a 11.5".

I'm with Redleg, for a 300 and under hunting rifle I would definitely go with a 16" lightish weight barrel. You won't lose accuracy, just a little speed but at the range you're working its a non issue. My first build I used a 16" bull barrel. Short and handy, but that bull was heavy when packing it all day. Switched it to a 16" lightweight profile and love it. Put your money into a good barrel, optic, and trigger and you will be very happy.

I got one of these barrels from Scott at SD and it is a VERY accurate. Don't remember the make, its got small flutes.
913503BF-1B92-4757-BB25-7B2E7E6FEC0D-8641-000009E13D88BB3E.jpg

C85D96CA-82A4-4074-A5F3-862A5FA158B7-8641-000009E14505E9F5.jpg

I would also go with the 16" barrel for the range you have listed. I have been very happy with my lightweight ARP barrel.

Good luck with your build.

Matt

Back