Predator Masters Hunt (east) cont.

Tj5,
Many boomers?
Bring that semi auto down here, the only thing is according to a very old and almost forgotten state customs law you will have to leave it with me when you go back home. :eek: Load her to the hilt... just remember no FMJ bullets.

Weather?
It can get real cold here in the wintertime, almost like your Ohio weather, one day back in March ‘93 we got over two foot of snow with 30 below zero wind chill but that is very unusual around here. Last year, where I live, we had a very mild winter about 1½” snow total and most of the time a light jacket or med. weight coat worked well. We do have cold snaps from October up until May that may last over a week with well below freezing temps and brisk northern winds, then you can‘t seem to put on enough clothes. As the old timers say if you don’t like the weather here just wait ten minutes it’ll change. LBL is a little further north than I am so I suggest bringing plenty of warm clothes and a extra pair of boots. Dress in layers as it may be cold/damp in the morning and warmer/drier up in the day. A good light weight rain suit that will fit into a daypack is also something that may come in handy.

Room & board?
It will be up to the each person to decide where they want to stay, I hope we can post more information on at least a partial list of what lodging and camping is available around or on LBL.
I think my hunting partner, Bopeye, and I are planning on splitting a motel room or cabin, I've sort’ a got attached to the finer things in life like a roof over my head, running water and a soft warm bed. On the other hand my chili eating huntin’ buddy may be forced to sleep in the truck, but then my wife says I SNORE so I may be the one in the truck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ari-flag1s.gif
---------------------------------------------->
ten-flag1s.gif

Probably any time OTHER THAN Feb 22.........

Hi Guys: Been reading this thread with anticipation. I hope to make it down for the hunt. My preference would be to hunt with a centerfire rifle, and my hunt date choice would be February 8th (my youngest daughter turns 6 on Feb. 22nd, so no way I could make a hunt then).

Thanks to the organizers for all their time and effort...

I was wondering if the details, times dates, locations etc. can be put on the website as a link or something. These real long posts contain tons of info and opinions and I'm thinkin I'll screw it up and miss this thing. Just a short simple webpage with the important information that can be kept updated? Many thanks to the organizers.

A Coyotehunter
( Bring that semi auto down here, the only thing is according to a very old and almost forgotten state customs law you will have to leave it with me when you go back home. )
Are you saying you are that old ? (LOL)
Would not use fmj to hunt with any how fmj are only good for plinking targets imo
? you know where i can send away for a map for the place ? i have never been there so like to get a idea of lay of the land.

Meeting on fri sounds like a good idea to so we all will not pile in one area
any info on hotels would be cool too.
? can decoys be used in tn for yots

Joe

Jimmie,
Are their any shooting range's in LBL. I know TWRA states that in a WMA target practice can only be done on shooting range's. It would be nice to check zero after the loooonnnngggggg trip.

Whipstick 223,
If someone wants to create a informational web page, as far as I am concerned that would be great. I would if I knew how but I do well just turning on my rusty old computer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Tj5,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif 46 and counting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Decoys: I don’t know what type of decoys you had in mind but all the TWRA hand book says is : Hunting over a site where bait ( and the word here is BAIT ) has been placed to feed or attract wildlife unless the bait has been removed at least 10 days prior to hunting is illegal. I am sure this also applies to LBL. I would plan on going as light as possible, as Jimmie pointed out LBL has some tough places to get into.

To contact LBL: http://www.lbl.org
TWRA website: http://www.state.tn.us/twra/

Coyotehunter
Decoy am talking about is a bunny rabbit skin on a stick
LOL you said the law was a very old that it says it had to be given to you lol
I pack lite wear camo have gun and my calls and a few scoobie snacks thats about it
All and of corse cant for get the ammo lol

Joe

Thanks for the addy Chet. I sent an e-mail right after that last post. Evidently somebody else at Yahoo called coyotehunter 1 got it because it has'nt been returned.Either that or I picked up a bug again.

As far as I know there are no laws against decoys in either state. I would definately consider weight and bulk before I packed one.If it fits in your pocket or day pack then I would use it.A rigor rabbit on the other hand might give you a rigorous workout.Chet has a photo posted somewhere in this thread from his frotn door.What you see in the distance in that photo is very much like the terrain you will work in the LBL.Rolling hills, and some of them pretty steep , with wide valleys between.

There is a shooting range there. I'll have to check on the rules and where abouts.I think it is on highway 68 that splits the LBL between Aurora and Cadiz.

As for putting this on a website, sorry. I'm not even as puter literate as Chet is.Heck my fingers can't even spell right half the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Jimmie

I might be able to make a feb hunt in TN. I've hunted deer on LBL before and the TN side is a big place, should be fun.

UPDATE:
We now have a LBL webpage...... thanks to Popgun!
It is a little bare of info but as soon as we can make things happen it will be posted there.

http://pmeasthunt.freeservers.com/

UPDATE: It is looking like Feburary is going to be the month, the weekend of the 8th is leading at the moment.... We need your input folks.

Jimmie in Ky, I got your e/mail tonight, one back to you.

Thank you Popgun, my friend. I got your e/mail.

Chet

Hold on tight now boys! We all is going big time.
When ya gets your own web page going then you is big time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good job Popgun, you are definately off to a good start with the site. Two big thumbs up.

Doc, send me an e-mail if you don't mind. I seem to have lost your e-mail addy. I have some info. on another hunt you were asking me about. Thanks.

Feels good to finally see this thing becoming a reality.

Anyone that wants to talk about this shindig or just b.s. about whatever can get me at [url=mailto:jrtholbrook@multipro.com

Is it just me or is it starting to look like Feb. 8 will be the day. Hope I'm not getting ahead of myself, but that does look like the tentative date at least.

Any of the dates I mentioned will be all right with me.I have those off for certain.

The shooting range is just off of highway 68 between Cadiz and the Golden pond visitors center.I still need to check the rules on that. I think there may be a sign in sheet.

In checking the maps the Tenn. section has roads that access at least 85% of all drainages in that portion. In Ky there are only four zones that have such access,1,6,7 AND 10.That may be why the Tenn. portion has seemed to have more dogs in it.With such access to almost all drainages the percentages should go up for any hunter. Once you see the maps of access roads you'll understand what I'm talking about.

The two most centrally located campgrounds are Colson Hollow Group Camp in Ky and the Rushing Creek Campground in Tenn. just over the border. Both of these are located somewhat out of the winds back in the hollows.I add this for those of you who are considering camping at that time of year.Me, I'll sleep in my nice cozy bed at home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think you can check on hotel accomodations at
http://Kylake.com

At least I believe all hotels listed in the area are on that sight.I think there may be a website for the sister lake as well, Lake Barkley, but I'm not certain. You might want to check the Dover Tenn chamber fo commerce as well.Jimmie

A big thanks goes out to to everyone involved in making our hunt happen!

I have spent the past hour responding to e/mails requesting info about our hunt.

Now all we need is a date. The most interest points towards Feb. 8, 2003, so Feb. 8th it will be.

Thanks to the motel link posted by Jimmie in Ky, we now have somewhere to start looking at information regarding lodging. As soon as I can get a little free time I'll contact some of the motels, ect for their rates in Feb. August will be the month LBL releases their new hunting data, they are supposed to send me info, maps and pamphlets. As soon as we find out more, thanks to popgun, it can be posted on our web page.

Thanks to everyone, we will have a hunt!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ----- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ----- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ----- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ----- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ----- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bopeye,
Popgun has a hard time getting the Predator Masters site to load on his computer, it runs real slow or not at all. So if he don't get back to you don't think anything of it, my friend.

Back