Primos Alpha Dogg ????

FredMcIntire

I'm currently using a FoxPro Firestorm call that I modified to run off of a sealed lead acid battery pack. I got tired of buying AA batteries.

Rogers Sporting Goods has the Primos Alpha Dogg call on sale for $169.99 with FREE shipping, and there's also a $30 mail in rebate from Primos through January 2016. So, my final cost would be $139.99.....

I like the reviews that I've read on the Alpha Dogg, and I'm thinking of giving it a try. Is there anything I should be aware of before I order one ?

Thanks for your input !

Fred

No. It's a good caller at $199, $179, and even better at $139. One of the best callers you can get for the $$. Easy to read color remote, sound categories and a built-in stand. I have one, and a FP Fusion. Buy it.

Yes, they drain batteries quite fast and when they get low the sounds quality goes to crap. Remote range is fine if you don't place your call more than 60-75 yards away. Sounds are not bad, I have killed many predators over my alpha dog. Just remember those batteries drain about twice as fast as my FoxPro and you will hear crackling when they get low. I sold mine last year and bought another FoxPro. IMHO I would prefer the cheapest simplest FoxPro over the AD. Sounds are far superior and the remotes battery life was better for me. But I do see how a nice color remote for that price is a big plus and that call is LOUD.

I had a Scorpion 1XB and it was useless to me. Could not read the remote. The batteries drain qiucker because it's LOUD. So keep them charged. Are you going to be calling 12 hours a day? For $139, it's a no brainer. FYI ALL callers including FP distort if the batteries are low. Search the posts there are plenty of them (poor crackliling sound). First response-charge the batteries

Originally Posted By: FredMcIntireI'm currently using a FoxPro Firestorm call that I modified to run off of a sealed lead acid battery pack. I got tired of buying AA batteries.

Rogers Sporting Goods has the Primos Alpha Dogg call on sale for $169.99 with FREE shipping, and there's also a $30 mail in rebate from Primos through January 2016. So, my final cost would be $139.99.....

I like the reviews that I've read on the Alpha Dogg, and I'm thinking of giving it a try. Is there anything I should be aware of before I order one ?

Thanks for your input !

Fred

Why don't you buy two sets of good rechargeable batteries and a charger. Problem solved.

IMO, the point here is that the batteries in the Shockwave and other FoxPro models hold up better. WE have thoroughly tested at least 6 different models and never had any battery problems.

Originally Posted By: FredMcIntire... So, my final cost would be $139.99..... Fred
Go for it, great price.
My buddy & I each got one a year ago and they do the job, plenty loud.

They hold up better because they're better batteries, regularly charged or not played as loud. Go to the predator forum on 24 hr campfire and read the post about the S/W needing the Li Ion battery pack. You're comparing a 600+ caller to a $139 one-really? To get this thread back on track from the FP is God crowd, the Alpha Dog is a very capable caller, and at $139 is a VERY good price.

They hold up better because they're better batteries, regularly charged or not played as loud. Go to the predator forum on 24 hr campfire and read the post about the S/W needing the Li Ion battery pack. You're comparing a 600+ caller to a $139 one-really? To get this thread back on track from the FP is God crowd, the Alpha Dog is a very capable caller, and at $139 is a VERY good price.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10775917/Shockwave#Post10775917

cmatera, I'm not comparing anything. I am giving my findings concerning ecallers and batteries. The Shockwave gets outstanding life out of rechargeable batteries or the lithium pack. The less expensive models get good battery life too. They are all very efficient as to battery life.

I didn't say anything against anybody's choices.

Yes, but why are you giving your findings on a caller the OP is not asking about? Because you are a Foxpro field tester. So a caller that costs 5-6 times as much is 2x better. If someone can afford the best ecaller, the Shockwave is considered one of the best. The OP asked if there was anything he should know about the Alpha Dog caller. If anyone who actually owns one (I do and FP too) feel free to provide additional info. If not, feel free to be quiet and not show your bias. At lest the first poster who took the thread off track actually OWNED one at one time, although he did not need to compare it to any other caller. Just saying it was very loud (which it is), but that it drained batteries producing that volume would have sufficed.

cmatera, I don't know what your problem is, but I am not arguing with you. Nobody sticks to the subject on a lot of these threads but I don't make an issue of it. I don't care which FoxPro ecaller you have or don't have; they are easy on batteries.

Again, I did not mention one negative thing about anybody else's choice. Actually, I'm not a FoxPro field tester; I am on the FoxPro Field Staff. I was checking out ecallers long before I ever got affiliated with FoxPro, and reporting my findings.

#1 my batteries are not better, I am too cheap to buy FoxPro batteries so dollar store special works fine. #2 I use the same batteries I used in my AD and the fp last about 10 times as long(no bs.) #3 I have called until my batteries in my fp went completely dead and I have never had a crackle... These are my observations from experience. I wasn't saying don't buy an AD I was just saying for the money get an entry level FoxPro used if you have to. Or call promos for some help as if you had one, then do the same for FoxPro....

Have you ever owned an entry level FP? How old are you and how good is your eyesight? Have you ever tried to read a Foxpro that did not have a TX1000 remote? Have you seen any of the many people who cannot read the Foxpro remotes and the measures they have gone through to make them useable (flip up magnifiers, strap-on sunshades)? I've never had to call Primos OR Foxpro. Have you EVER seen a post on this forum of anyone with a Foxpro having sound distortion issues? Are you a field tester too? Are you related to possumal? Do you think FP's service is worth 5-6 times the price? Do you think the port covers on the S/W are crap? Do you tihink the speakers on the S/W should have been hinged so when open the control panel was facing the user instead of away from the user? Do you think a call in that price range should have had a threaded insert for a tripod? Do you think the field testers should have noted the shortcomings to FP? If they did point out these shortcomings, do you think FP should have listened to them instead of the bean counters? Can we get a discount if we mention your screen name?

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...610#Post2903610

Well go ahead and ask around cmatra and you will soon find that I have ZERO connection to FoxPro except that I am a fan of their products. I am not a field tester.my first FoxPro was a spitfire. And I've you even took the time to read my post I said that that alpha dogg remote was fine. As far as all your complaints, I don't need a tripod for my shockwave because the remote works. flawlessly out to 200 yards. (Haven't tried farther)the port covers are fine as I have had no problem with them and I have no problem where the display is on the unit as I don't use it. And if I didn't I can't see how it would be a problem. As I have stated multiple times now, I have had zero sound distortion problems out of my two FoxPro. I'm not sure how many times I need to repeat myself. If all you can afford is an alpha dogg its fine you will kill over it without a problem. When I bought my shockwave my numbers went up. That's fact. I have had to call both companies. I called promos about the crackling and all they could tell me was to change the batteries it was normal. That was after two days of trying to get through to someone that could help me. Then the legs cracked on a cold night when I was tossing it into my truck(not hard at all) I called FoxPro when I stepped on my remote and smashed the screen on my tx1000. They answered in 5 seconds and told me to send it to them and they will call me as soon as it arrives and they can tell me what's wrong. I got a call two days later and they told me it would cost me 60 bucks total( after I added $25 worth of sounds) and then they sent it back overnight shipping. My call was out of my hands for four days total and when I got it back I had a brand new tx1000. I would say that customer service is worth some extra money. So lets recap....the alpha dogg is a fine call. The foxpros are better...all the way around. I was just giving some advise IMHO. Hundreds of members do it here every day. If you don't like it or disagree that's fine but you don't need to jump all over me. Everyone on here knows that the primos ad is not half the call some of the foxpros are. And the tx1000 is not the only FoxPro remote that is readable.

Anyone who tosses any piece of electronic equipment into the back of a truck and steps on a remote should deal with a company that has excellent customer service. Who does that? You should also have to pay for that service. The rest of us by virtue of the price we pay, should not be subsidizing equipment abusers like you. When you can tell us about a low end FP caller that has a remote with the readability (not all the features) of the TX 1000 remote, the volume of the Alpha Dog, and a price of $139, post it here. Have you ever considered that your numbers went up while using your S/W because you are becoming a better hunter, watching your approach, setup and wind better? I know guys who killed more coyotes with hand calls than any will kill with the latest and greatest ecaller. The ecaller only shortens the learning curve.

By your own admission, you killed a lot over the Alpha Dog, and so will the OP, if he was smart enough to buy it at $139. If he needs/wants more features later he can lose $20 and go with a high-end FP. The low end FP's are nowhere near the high end ones. Any of the FP's with the TX1000 remote are worth owning, but big $$. Note, I own both both callers AD and FP, my first FP was an FX3, I have owned many different FP ecallers and other brands too. Thank you for your input based on your experience with ONE Alpha Dog call that you owned and abused. I ask again, have you read any of the posts on poor sound quality on a FP caller and the response? Change the batteries. Same as the AD, or any other ecaller. A lot of the new guys are afraid to post in this forum for fear of being attacked by the FP police. I am not one of them and have been here since '08-after lurking for a couple years. My post count is not real high because although I read 100's of posts a day, I only post if I know something firsthand (which you do) and when I do respond, I try to respond to exactly what the poster is asking. Have a great New Year.

Back