Pulsar XP50 Zero Issues and Info

D U my xp38 has held zero since the day I bought it. But I'm also using the zro delta mount.Killed 2 coyote and a few jackrabbits with it last weekend.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrD U my xp38 has held zero since the day I bought it. But I'm also using the zro delta mount.Killed 2 coyote and a few jackrabbits with it last weekend.
I am using the Zro delta as well but have POI shift with my Trail XQ38. 4" at 100y is about the most I have seen with mine. This is more than enough to miss a coyote though.

We had a couple unexplainable misses with our XP 50s last night. I called one up too well under a hundred yards and both my buddy and I shot at nearly the exact same time and both videos shows both of our crosshairs to be exactly in the center of the coyotes chest while he's sitting facing us. The second call in only my buddy shot at. It was probably closer to 150 yards and once again it shows his cross hairs to be centered on the coyotes chest broadside. We cobbled together a Target out of a piece of chipboard and a hand warmer and both of our rifles were pretty much centered but 2 inch low at 100 yards. Both guns were an inch high at 100 last time we shot them about a week ago. The 2" low poi should not have equaled a miss though. Very frustrating when the video shows perfect execution after and the coyote runs off.

Last edited:
To those asking about the target size and whether or not I'm sure I'm getting a consistent POA and whether or not that is effecting the POI.

No... I'm 100% positive without ANY doubt my sight alignment/picture is spot on. I'm using a bracketing method to quarter the "head" of the plate. It's a very simple and extremely effective technique commonly used when you don't have a "spot" to aim at or your "spot" is so small (or your reticle is too thick) that your reticle covers the aiming spot.

I'm a seasoned and trained long gunner, former Sniper, and Sniper Team Leader (sorry to sound arrogant, not my intent) and I'm POSITIVE the thermal zero has changed... in short, it's not me.

If it were a case of lacking a pin-point aiming spot I'd not have been able to stack several rounds almost on top of each other nor would I have achieved a dead center strike on the final check round.

Even when using a paper target (which I used first) before heating the plate, I bracketed the head and had the same results, good group but it too was about 2" low and 2" right... the results were consistent.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptTo those asking about the target size and whether or not I'm sure I'm getting a consistent POA and whether or not that is effecting the POI.

No... I'm 100% positive without ANY doubt my sight alignment/picture is spot on.
Best advice I can give you is once you get to a good spot when you won't be hunting for awhile, get a RMA from Pulsar and send it back. I will be doing so as soon as my night season is done. They apparently are out of stock both Pulsar and most dealers, but it sounds like in spring time period, units will become available. Pulsar has been responsive when I have spoken to them, and I am confident they will make this right. Hopefully they find and fix the issue soon.

In the meantime, the thing that has helped me the most is keeping the gun in as consistent of temp as possible. This means leaving it cold, sighting it in cold, and keeping in the bed of the truck in a case and not bringing it in the house or truck until the hunt is over. Since doing this, my miss rate has plummeted. It is a total pain but better than not hunting. The other option is sight the gun in warm and wrap it with some type of heat.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrD U my xp38 has held zero since the day I bought it. But I'm also using the zro delta mount.Killed 2 coyote and a few jackrabbits with it last weekend.

I don't think the mount has anything to do with the shift. The old mount is plenty solid, and has never caused an issue on my older Apex. I have a Zero Delta mount still in the box. If or when I ever decide to shift the scope to another weapon I will probably install the Zero Delta for versatility. I've pretty much settled on the 6x45 in my AR for Night Work so no need to fix what isn't broken now.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptTo those asking about the target size and whether or not I'm sure I'm getting a consistent POA and whether or not that is effecting the POI.

No... I'm 100% positive without ANY doubt my sight alignment/picture is spot on. I'm using a bracketing method to quarter the "head" of the plate. It's a very simple and extremely effective technique commonly used when you don't have a "spot" to aim at or your "spot" is so small (or your reticle is too thick) that your reticle covers the aiming spot.

I'm a seasoned and trained long gunner, former Sniper, and Sniper Team Leader (sorry to sound arrogant, not my intent) and I'm POSITIVE the thermal zero has changed... in short, it's not me.

If it were a case of lacking a pin-point aiming spot I'd not have been able to stack several rounds almost on top of each other nor would I have achieved a dead center strike on the final check round.

Even when using a paper target (which I used first) before heating the plate, I bracketed the head and had the same results, good group but it too was about 2" low and 2" right... the results were consistent.

Gotcha, makes sense, told ya I could have been missing something. Wasn't questioning your abilities, but without that little tidbit of information I was a little apprehensive of your results. You sound like you got it covered, looking forward to see what you find out.

I've often thought about doing the same with my Photon. The POI shift you see in my picture is from one season to the next, not sure why?

On a side note, I just read you're banner
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptTo those asking about the target size and whether or not I'm sure I'm getting a consistent POA and whether or not that is effecting the POI.

No... I'm 100% positive without ANY doubt my sight alignment/picture is spot on.
Best advice I can give you is once you get to a good spot when you won't be hunting for awhile, get a RMA from Pulsar and send it back. I will be doing so as soon as my night season is done. They apparently are out of stock both Pulsar and most dealers, but it sounds like in spring time period, units will become available. Pulsar has been responsive when I have spoken to them, and I am confident they will make this right. Hopefully they find and fix the issue soon.

In the meantime, the thing that has helped me the most is keeping the gun in as consistent of temp as possible. This means leaving it cold, sighting it in cold, and keeping in the bed of the truck in a case and not bringing it in the house or truck until the hunt is over. Since doing this, my miss rate has plummeted. It is a total pain but better than not hunting. The other option is sight the gun in warm and wrap it with some type of heat.

If I continue to see more than an inch change consistently I will most certainly do that and I'm sure Pulsar will make it right one way or another.

As far as leaving my rifle and thermal in my vehicle that's not an option where I live... I'm a deputy and see way too many vehicle burglaries so that's out.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6pt I'm a deputy and see way too many vehicle burglaries so that's out.
I understand. Just to clarify, I don't leave it in my vehicle all the time. When back at my residence, I leave it in an unheated garage when not hunting, then in the back of my truck (locked tailgate) when I am going hunting. Either way, it shouldn't be necessary as is only something I am doing until this gets fixed. Good luck.

Well... according to this shot, it's on...lol. When I played the video back I believe I head an impact on the second shot. I'm headed back in the am to look and see if I killed the other one.

Supposed to get down to 21 degrees tomorrow morning, and 60 degrees on Thursday.. so going to do a test. Let it stabilize at each temp for a few hours before shooting, and then shoot 5 times, same ammo, same range, same target.. and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhioDid those dark colored ones just come out of cold water/mud or something?

Yes... the one I shot was wet and muddy...

When I was at Shotshow, I spent alot of time at the Pulsar booth.
I spoke with a Pulsar Rep involved with R&D from Europe quite a bit.
I specifically asked him about the Trail having issues retaining their
Zero.
His response was he felt that it was a mounting issue. He went on in
depth about how the mount needs to be torqued after the thumb locks
have been turned beyond the the push button locks, etc, etc.

When I challenged that theory, and asked if Pulsar intends to look into
it possibly being software/ firmware issue.. he again suggested it was
most likely improper mounting of said unit causing the issue.

To me it certainly appears to be more of an issue than what Pulsar is suggesting
is the root cause.

I am looking forward to finding out more info.

I also own a Trail Xp50. I haven't noticed a zero/ poa-poi change yet, but I also
have not checked it since performing the firmware update.

Time to start logging data for sure

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptI'm going to make a log and monitor this for a while to see what patterns if any I can find. I will include the following data points and if anyone thinks I need to add something else, please chime in.

Date
Time
Temp.
Humidity
Battery Reading
Time/Rounds Since Last Check
X number Before/After
Y number Before/After
X Change
Y Change

Perhaps you could add what version firmware you have installed along
with what mount, what torque the crossbolts are set at if using oem mount,
and perhaps what caliber/ cartridge to assess recoil as a factor

Originally Posted By: trickshotWhen I was at Shotshow, I spent alot of time at the Pulsar booth.
I spoke with a Pulsar Rep involved with R&D from Europe quite a bit.
I specifically asked him about the Trail having issues retaining their
Zero.
His response was he felt that it was a mounting issue. He went on in
depth about how the mount needs to be torqued after the thumb locks
have been turned beyond the the push button locks, etc, etc.

When I challenged that theory, and asked if Pulsar intends to look into
it possibly being software/ firmware issue.. he again suggested it was
most likely improper mounting of said unit causing the issue.

To me it certainly appears to be more of an issue than what Pulsar is suggesting
is the root cause.

I am looking forward to finding out more info.

I also own a Trail Xp50. I haven't noticed a zero/ poa-poi change yet, but I also
have not checked it since performing the firmware update.

Time to start logging data for sure

Did he elaborate on the recommended torque setting??? How many "inch" pounds? This would be good to know...if it is actually the problem.

What would you say the POI shift is in terms of temperature variations? 10,20, 30 degrees and how much off is it? More for colder I'm assuming. This may come in handy for when to re-zero.

Just my opinion but I don't think the zero shifting is as much due to temperature and mount but temperature and something internal related if it is temperature related at all. I just finished a 9 day test of a good friends scope. All rounds were fired from an extremely reliable rifle with same ammo. Grouping was great as usual. Majority of groups were sub moa. Shot the unit 5 separate days in 9 days. Zeroed first day. 2 days later zero had shifted 1.25 inches right. 2 days later held that zero. 2 days later held that zero again. Today zero had shifted another 1.25 inches right and 3 inches high. Temperature was 60 40 50 30 35. LaRue mount used and never removed scope from gun. Pretty close to the same experience that I have had with the two units I received from Pulsar March/April 2017. My friends unit was his second from Pulsar and purchased about mid March. I have been hoping we just got caught up in a bad lot that was assembled and sold April/March 2017. I would be interested in learning when some of these other bad units were manufactured and sold.

Back