Question about hunting from step ladders?

See, now there's one of them "cultural-differences" things. Having lived places where hunting, actually shooting at game, from a vehicle is illegal, it's not something I ever would've thought of.

SC being a galring exception. There, not only can you shoot from your vehicle, you can do so on, down and across a public road. Went on a dog drive for deer once. My cousin let me out on the side of a 2 lane county road and said "Here's your spot. I'll be 100 to 150 yards up."

I asked him how far off the road I should get (keep in mind every state I hunted before that specifically banned shooting from or across a road, period) and he wanted to know why on earth I'd want to get off the road? Woods were too thick to see 10 feet, only chance was to hear one coming and nail it as it ran across the road.

One guy posted his "stand" by pulling his pickup over and sitting on a seat mounted on the toolbox in the bed.

While waiting on the deer & dogs, I'm standing there with a shotgun stoked full of buckshot and women with kids are driving past doing 60MPH on their way to town. You might say I was a bit uncomfortable with the setup :eek:

Here the calling I've done we always hiked off away from the truck and hid, but that was all daytime calling too. Need to try a state that allows night-time calling sometime & see how that's done.

Stu, your comment needs to be addressed so folks don't get the wrong idea. First of all, in California under certain restrictions, we can call from our trucks. As far as shooting from them, it is and always has been against the law. It is also legal to drink coffee and smoke cigarettes from your truck when in the act of hunting. Good Hunting

You don't know how many coyotes, bobcats and fox I've taken by just sitting on a stool sipping coffee and puffing on a cigarette 8 feet up in the air.

...I've taken...

That, to me, says he shot them. If the prior explanation of calling from the back of the truck is correct, then that post is saying he shot them from the back of his truck.

Maybe they weren't shot in CA. Don't know. From your post, if it was CA then that was a violation. If not CA, then it may have been a state where it was legal.

I lived in TN: No shooting (hunting or otherwise) from or across a public road.

AZ: No shooting from a road, whether on foot or not, and no shooting at game from a vehicle, even if it's not on a road.

AL: No loaded centerfire (not even ammo in the magazine) within 50 yards of a road, period.

SC: Obviously much different, see my post above.

I'm sure many states differ in this area, in large or small ways. So long as it's legal where you do it, I don't care much, even if it turns out to be something I wouldn't want to do myself. The SC hunt is a good example. I didn't mind standing in a dirt road going through the woods on private land during a drive, but was not comfortable standing on a public road ready to shoot. It's legal there, I don't want to change that, but with my background I found it didn't suit me much.

As I said, cultural difference. Some things are common in one place, unknown in another. Doesn't make them bad, just different /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back