Question on Leatherwood scopes

NDAR15MAN

Sportsmans Guide catalog I got today in mail. They have a leatherwood scope for sale for $107.00. 6-24x44 scope with both a Mill Dot and BDC IN THE SAME Reticule. This company has been around a long time. I would like to get a review from some one who owns this brand of scope. I might put it on cheap savage 308 cal rifle. i have always bought Nikon but just wondering about Leatherwood. Thanks. Marty

Last edited:
So happens, I received my 2nd Leatherwood 6-24x44 Hi-Lux scope from Sportsmans early last week. Would have bought another one earlier, but Sportsmans has a problem keeping them in stock.

First one I bought when Sportsmans first offered it back around Feb this year. I was pleasantly surprised by this scope that I bought for a low priced rifle build. When I checked the Leatherwood website for a 6-24x44 scope, they did not show it. I assume it is a model only Sportsmans has to sell.....an exclusive, so to speak.

Found the optics clarity to be decent....clear at all powers, edge to edge. Mind you, my higher power Japanese made Weaver Super Slams that cost at least 3 to 4 times as much are brighter and clearer than the China made Leatherwood. But, as I wrote, you should find the Leatherwood optics pretty decent.

Own my share of lower priced scopes and many of them have decent optics. Basic problem with them are the turret adjustments. Most of my shooting is done using my reloads and I'm always trying a new reload....I'm often cranking on my turret adjustments. My Leatherwoods have very decent turret adjustments for windage and elevation. Haven't done a box test with my 2nd Leatherwood, but my first one passed it with flying colors. Had put it on one of my more accurate rifles to test. In short, did a four click change (scope has a 1/4" click @ 100 yd), fired first round then, right, down, left, up, and when I'd finished I had clover leafed my first bullet hole on a 100 yd target. I had a nice 1 inch square bullet hole pattern on the target. Not bad. As to feel of the exposed turrets on the scope....nice positive clicks on my two scopes. In short, I trust my Leatherwood turret adjustments like I trust turret adjustments on my Weaver Super Slams and the Weaver adjustments are pretty darn good.

Parallax adjustment is decent too. Many of my side focus lower priced scopes are off on the parallax markings. With them you adjust parallax for a 100 yd target and you might be around 75 to 125 yds on their markings for parallax. Not the case with my Leatherwoods, my two seem to be spot-on. Mind you, I've used my Leatherwood only up to 200 yds for shooting targets.

I had my first Leatherwood at range when another member was there trying out a New Vortex Viper 6-24x44 for the first time. His was a discontinued model that he'd bought for around $350.....had sold for around $500 +, if I remember correctly. Anyway, his Viper's lens was nothing but a blur at 24X.....had to dial it back to around 21X for a clear lens. He will sit down with my Leatherwood and play with it for a few minutes. When finished, he was favorably impressed with the Leatherwood. If you were to walk into his reloading room, you'd notice the 20 plus scope boxes of some pretty darn nice brand scopes stacked on shelves. He is now on board of Directors of two different private shooting ranges and doesn't mind buying the better stuff to build a rifle/buy optics/bullets and etc. for putting 3 or 4 shots into basically the same hole downrange.

Be aware, unless Sportsmans has free shipping on the scope, like my first one, expect around a $15 shipping/handling fee. Also, the $109 price mentioned reads like the Sportsmans Club member price, a non member pays around $120.

It was a toss up between diamondback and leatherwood for me... I went with the 4-16 leatherwood... It was 113 shipped... Has good reviews so I shall see for myself..

I just received my leatherwood scope the other day.. I was really impressed with how clear and crisp the glass was... Its way clearer than my Nikons and my buddies leupold.. Maybe I can get it anchored on the mmr hunter today and give it a go..

Ok here it is.. It would not hold zero...Vertical held perfect.. up down was off up to 8 inches.. Sight in at 25 yrds stayed 8 inches below POA no mater how many clicks wouldn't move.. Took it to 50 and got it 1/2 inch low after a few shots... Took to a 100, it was inch high,, Shot again 8 inches high another shot 3 inches high. Would not hold zero, up down up down... The glass around evening went down hill also.. 4 to 6 power, crisp and bright.. Up the power and it went hazy and dark... The SF had to be re adjusted after each shot also.. This was on the mmr hunter 223.. The base was burris pepr....

Yes, I'm sorry dan's scope did so bad for him. Very surprised with his Leatherwood's dismal performance, but crap happens with a cheapo scope. Meanwhile, my two Sportsmans Leatherwood scopes are doing OK for me. My newest is on a 6mm Remington (maybe 40 rounds fired) and other is on a 7x57 Ruger tang safety that's had well over 200 rounds fired with it mounted. Will they fail, sure, just a question of when. I'm 68 years old, just not too concerned.

Back