Recommend some hunting boots

I've owned a lot of differnt brands and currently own two pair of rocky's. Both in the 8-9" tall size. One pair is 3 years old and still do very well. Takes a lot to get wet. My other pair I just got this year. So we'll se how they do in a week or so.
Lot's of good info above....boots can make or break a hunt and so far my Rocky's have held up well to some rough Idaho weather and land.

I also have Rocky long johns and socks...warm as all get out!

My brother works for Rocky so I pretty much have a buttload of Rocky boots. All of them have been pretty comfortable and waterproof.

I've owned only one pair of Rocky boots. I bought a pair of nice leather, insulated gore-tex boots and stored them in the closet for a few years without wearing them. Whenever I finally wore out my old boots I got out the Rockys and after wearing them for a couple of hours the soles began falling apart! Pieces were just falling off as I was walking through the woods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I called Rocky and they more or less told me I was SOL since they were out of warranty even though I had only worn them once! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif
With so many other good boots out there I will never own another pair of Rockys.

Rocky boots for the last 15 yrs here.

The 4 pair that I've owned were all Gore Tex. They never leaked or fell apart. Just worn them out.

But, now their being made in China. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Houser,
My dad had a pair of Rockies that basically did the same thing. He had his resoled by a local shop. That salvaged the boots, but it cost him another $50.00! The last pair of Rockies I had lost the sole like that, but I did wear the heck out of them and figured it was normal for that soft crepe type sole. Now, I'm not so sure about that... No more Rockies for me or dad.

same as houser sole just fell apart on the rockies, i've got two pair of danner pronghorns now and love them, no break in, and i wear them every day. i can tell you something that will sure make a pair of boots last longer is to have two pair of boots so you can let one pair air out every day while you wear the other, i had a custom boot maker tell me that and it sure works.

Cabala's is the only company that sells Meindl in America.
I bought a pair and was so impressed I bought 2 more the next year. Full ankle support and as comfortable as slippers. They can handle whatever you can dish out, truly in a class by themselves.

See Houser, GC and Trapper2. Similar experience here. Soles just fell apart. Rocky more or less said tough $h**.

I will NEVER purchase another Rocky product. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I bought a pair of danner pronghorns last fall and retired them at the end of last fall. The soles literally peeled off. They were water-proof and comfortable until they fell apart (about 4 months). They didn't hold up to an Idaho/Montana hunting season. This year I got the Meindl Tetons, so far they are great.

The Danner Super Rain Forest boot is the finest boot I've ever worn. Don't confuse the Rain Forest with the Super Rain Forest. Two different boots. The SRF has double thick leather and takes forever to break in, but they are by far, the best boot I've ever worn. Technically, they are a work boot and not a "hunting boot", but no other boot even compares. I prefer the 10" over the 8", but that's a personal preference. They are not cheap, but anything of quality isn't. I have a pair of pronghorns, and I consider them average boots at best. For summer, I wear the Marine temperate (another killer boot)and during the fall, winter and spring, its the Super Rain Forest.

http://www.danner.com/product/work+boots...s+-+10%27%27.do

added link

Last edited:
stay away from rockys if u do any serious hunting. i bear hunt in the mountains with hounds and me and my buddys do lots of walkin in a day and if u got rockys to last longer then a week then u was doin good. just about all of us though has got the mendil perfect hunters from cabelas. by far the best boot on the market hands down. they are the most comfortable footwear i have ever had on my feet and i have diabeties and my doctor rocomended them to me since i have sensitive feet. just my 2cents though.

Back