Red fox hunt

this one is from the video ... I came to Fox 25 yards ... I can not shoot a sleeping animals ... so I gave them chance .. I walked until fox wake up ...
Last weekend, I was in the same situation... and I gave chance and fox ran away
smile.gif

missed
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kirbyAlright another spot/stalker
cool.gif

My English is not very good ....
Can you explain what you are saying
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: VladasOriginally Posted By: kirbyAlright another spot/stalker
cool.gif

cool.gif

It a hunting technique. Definition from Wikipedia: The fourth method is known as spot and stalk hunting, which consists of spotting and then stalking in close enough to shoot the animal. Spot and stalk hunting is generally a method of hunting used in places where there are large visible areas, such as mountainous terrain or rolling hills

Originally Posted By: VladasOriginally Posted By: kirbyAlright another spot/stalker
cool.gif

cool.gif

Seeing a bedded canine & sneaking in on it = spot & stalk

Thanks
smile.gif
Now I understood
smile.gif

I really like this type of hunting, you get more emotional - experience - get lots of information about the nature - challenge for access as close as possible - sometimes you need a lot of physical strength
From experience I can tell you if you want to close access (whether a fox or deer) to remember the basic and most important rule "ALWAYS THINK AS ANIMAL" to understand where animals live, eat..... and many other things....
And when I realized all this, and I gained practice ....... I can not always hit the trigger the gun ... it would be too easy
smile.gif

Vladas, I'm sure you already know this. But for those that don't. Whether talking about a bedded coyote or Red Fox.

Neither canine spend any amount of time looking up-wind. "After they've been bedded down for awhile". Especially, the Reds. Which makes them much easier to stalk in on. Than that of the typical bedded joe coyote.

Only time either canine will look up wind is "if or when" they hear or scent something that peaks their interest to their up-wind. Otherwise, a coyote that is a nomad or a neighboring coyote that is tresspassing. Will "often" pan around 360.

Regardless of wind direction. I personally believe this behavior(looking 360). Is, because they know they are tresspassing & on the look out for the locals.

Regardless, I prefer to stalk in on a bedded canine from their angled up-wind. Unless they look my way or happen to hear me stalk near. I'm out of their line of sight & they can not scent me.

Another behavioral difference between a coyote & a Red. Is the Reds most often dismiss ambiant noises a hunter may make. Which often is their down fall as a hunter draws near for a shot.

Well said
I understand you are good hunter... You thin like coyote
thumbup1.gif

It would be pretty stupid if I comment the coyote hunt.I have no experience of coyote hunting. But one day I will try it
wink.gif

As for fox hunting sometimes they are very easy to hunt, sometimes it's very hard to do ...
Fox lives near the city ... access to them can be pretty close ....
cool.gif

Fox lives in the wild .... she is afraid of everything....
w00t.gif

I think the situation with coyote is the same...

Vladas those are some great pictures, I love the ones that look like they have been drawn on paper. Check out verminator tweety and psyco tweety I have called many foxes with those. And welcome to predator masters this is a great place. Helpful and entertaining.

Yes Vladas, some fox are very wary & hard to sneak in on. Wary as an old wary coyote I might add. This behavior(dismissing "some" ambiant sounds) that they hear. I believe is hard wired into their DNA.

I believe (based from observing their behaviors). The Red Fox are more tuned into high pitched sounds vs deep base types sounds. I'm closing in on 60. I started out spot/stalking the Reds when I was a youth. Hunting with sighthounds with my Dad & his two buds.

We stalked hundreds of them. As their population was very high back in the early-mid 1960's. IMO they can hear as well as any coyote but often dismiss the louder base noises. Whereas, the coyote listens to every noise. Which IMO makes them much harder to stalk on average.

I've stalked a number of Reds. That were alerted to even the slightest of long range noise. I made during the stalk. Et they went into immediate alert & ran.

One other difference between the Reds & the coyotes. That I have become aware of from stalking many of both canines. Is, the Reds do not have near as keen of vision/eye sight vs the coyotes. Whether at close or long range. It is as if, they look right past a hunter & do not see them.

Last edited:
Last Red I shot gunned Vladas. Circa; 1981
409513_2855026388216_1636271103_2366061_1901183215_n.jpg

The shotguns I used for coyotes & Reds. Were long barreled smoothbore full choke 12ga 3" magnums. On fox I used BB mostly sometimes buffered 4 buckshot. Those who want to get into spot/stalking. The Reds will teach a hunter plenty.

Closest I ever got to one sleeping was around 15' away or so. It was on deep powder snow. Red raised it's head slowly & looked right at me. Then lowered it's head back down into it's curled tail. Then suddenly snapped his head up eyes wide open in disbelief?
laugh.gif

btw, Vladas it won't be long until the little Reds start popping out of their dens. There are a handfull of active dens near me. I'll post some pics of them for you to see.

Last edited:
I once snuck up on a fox while it was sleeping. I got to about thirty yards. When it woke up it took off like a rocket. I wish I could wake up that fast in the morning.

If I had been meaning to shoot it it would have gotten away anyways.

kirby
Photos are always good
wink.gif

I came within less than twenty yards.. when weather conditions were ideal...
Called fox once came within two yards ... It scared me a little ... has come from behind ... I have not seen it .... just feel that someone is standing behind me .. I turned around and I was surprised that Fox is very close..

Back