Reloading .223/5.56

Powerfisher

I now have a reason to start to reload .223/5.56 so I bought a Lee .223 die set because I have a lee press and accessories. After talking to a buddy he asked me if they are for .223 or 5.56. I told him it says .223 on the box and I figured that I could reload both with the same die. He says not true. 5.56 is a tad bigger and that the .223 die wont work with the 5.56 unless the box says its for both. So, did I screw up and buy the wrong set or am I good to go?

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherI now have a reason to start to reload .223/5.56 so I bought a Lee .223 die set because I have a lee press and accessories. After talking to a buddy he asked me if they are for .223 or 5.56. I told him it says .223 on the box and I figured that I could reload both with the same die. He says not true. 5.56 is a tad bigger and that the .223 die wont work with the 5.56 unless the box says its for both. So, did I screw up and buy the wrong set or am I good to go?

Oh, God... I hate to say, "Here we go again", but here we go again.

Use the search engine and look back for three months. There are a bout 50 pages of this done in just the last few months.

The quick of it is... they are both the same cartridge, they both use the same loading data (with the standard precautions, drop 10%, and work up, etc).

Catshooter, it's no wonder this keeps coming up. Brownells of all people posted a cartridge schematic on Facebook last week showing the difference between about 6 or 7 different 223/556 reamers making a big deal out of it. When big names like that keep stirring the poo kettle, it's going to keep coming downwind. I started to argue the point, but my fingers were too sore to scream on the internet
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYCatshooter, it's no wonder this keeps coming up. Brownells of all people posted a cartridge schematic on Facebook last week showing the difference between about 6 or 7 different 223/556 reamers making a big deal out of it. When big names like that keep stirring the poo kettle, it's going to keep coming downwind. I started to argue the point, but my fingers were too sore to scream on the internet
rolleyes.gif

Yup... but there are so many "versions" of the reamer that no one can keep rack - but that's the same as the 308 - there are dozens of reamers for it.

Problem is... these reamers are for special use, and vary by a few thou... they are not what some guy gets when he plunks down his money at the gun store - he gets plain ol' plain ol'...

and now for a breath of fresh air
lol.gif

We'll see if everybody is dead here
smile.gif

You would think I would have looked in the past posts but I didnt. I guess I got all excited and didnt even think. Didnt mean to ruffle your fur.

Tony

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherYou would think I would have looked in the past posts but I didnt. I guess I got all excited and didnt even think. Didnt mean to ruffle your fur.

Tony

No fur ruffled at all
lol.gif

Be good and stay safe!

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherSo, did I screw up and buy the wrong set or am I good to go?

You're fine. Only screwup was listening to your buddy.

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: PowerfisherSo, did I screw up and buy the wrong set or am I good to go?

You're fine. Only screwup was listening to your buddy.

You made me laugh
lol.gif

If you want, I can site for you numerous internet webz pages that support a different point of view.

We can play kick the can again.
lol.gif

But seriously, I read it on the webz.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Smokeless

"If you want, I can site for you numerous internet webz pages that support a different point of view...."

.... that Ackman didn't make me laugh???

I'm sure that there are lots of pages on that topic!!
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYCatshooter, it's no wonder this keeps coming up. Brownells of all people posted a cartridge schematic on Facebook last week showing the difference between about 6 or 7 different 223/556 reamers making a big deal out of it. When big names like that keep stirring the poo kettle, it's going to keep coming downwind. I started to argue the point, but my fingers were too sore to scream on the internet
rolleyes.gif

The sad thing is...

None of this stuff means anything. The drawings vary by a thou, or sometimes a few tenths of a thou - real machinists laugh at drawings like that.

You can't buy a reamer made to those dimensions ANYWHERE, for less than $5,000 - no one make reamers to 0.0001" tolerances. And brass cases that come out of a 10 ton stamp mill at 10,000 pieces an hour are no where close to even +/- 0.001" in neck thickness and 0.003" or greater tolerance on other dimensions.

The "folks" throw words and dimensions like that, as though they mean something... they don't... but it makes them sound important.

There is an old saying, "If you like sausage, don't watch it being made."

The same applies to guns and cartridges...

Do people really think they can order a chamber reamer cut to 0.0001" accuracy - I mean, NOBODY makes chambering reamers to that tolerance.

And if you ever watched a brass making operation at work, you would be amazed that the damm things actually could fit in a rifle.

Get a box of new, empty brass and sit down with a micrometer and start measuring it - even from the same lot - it is all over the place.

The pressure of the 5.56 is not higher than the 223 - the military just measures it differently, at a different place.

5.56 will fit and shoot fine in a civilian chamber, and visa-versa, as has been proved about eleventy million times.

If you have owned many .223's you will know that the chambers, leades and throats are all over the place. There is no standard, just loose recommendations.

But when guys quote this garbage... "I'm using a 1.7362° throat, and it's much better than a 1.7246° throat.", and talk about "Pressure" and "Tolerances", they sound so... well, you know... "EXPERT", and "IMPORTANT".

And in the world of the new social media, what you sound like is what is important -- not what you actually do or know. It is what impresses people.

We just spent a few days here in a food fight with an expert on magnum primers, who threw around numbers and talked about going blind over 20 fps... in the end, he knew nothing - he read stuff somewhere that he didn't understand. But he impressed himself a lot.

At my last gig, we were manufactures of 223/5.56 and also dealers of civilian AR-15's and Mil surp M16's - the 16's were true military guns that came to us from Unka Sam, via the local police departments.

We made tons (and I DO mean tons) of 223/5.56 loaded with both the M-855 62gr ball, and the SS-109 62gr w/steel penetrator (politically correct for teeny armor piercing).

The ammunition was equally at home with either the M-16 or the AR-15 chambers, as was the Lake City Military issue SS-109... there is so much slop in both of their chambers that it would not surprise me if you could fit a 243 in them
lol.gif

But the more people pay attention to this garbage, they more of it we will have.

It gets old...

... real fast!!

frown.gif

The BLESSING of the internet is that, you can find information on just about anything.

The CURSE of the internet is that, you can find information on just about anything.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Smokeless

"If you want, I can site for you numerous internet webz pages that support a different point of view...."

.... that Ackman didn't make me laugh???

I'm sure that there are lots of pages on that topic!!
tt2.gif

Ackman doesn't even like you. This is all a grand conspiracy, yes I said it, a conspiracy.

Haven't you read the Web? You are wrong, all wrong.

BTW, I saw it in print, so there you go. A book right in front of me. What do you say to that?

You are right it gets old fast. Thanks again for always being faithful and telling the Truth.

What we do can not be written about in books for liability reasons. That is a shame.

There are some great points here.

That is why I do not reload 5.56mm. I buy Federal NATO rounds.

I just bought: from Cheaper than Dirt.
5.56X45mm NATO New Mil-Spec OTMRP 62 Grain 20 Round Box 2800 fps Penetrator Bullet Lake City Brass: made 7/12.

They really put a hole thru a car door. Turned bricks in to red dust.

I do load for my 223rem rifles / bolt action.

I do like these in my Interarms Mini-Mauser (1-12) Yugo made.

223.jpg

You need a " Double Fling Backed Wedge Hammer" to load 5.56 NATO, that's the only difference between the two. You did buy a "Double Fling Backed Wedge Hammer" didn't you?

Chupa

Back