Remington 700 AWR (American Wilderness Rifle)

pyscodog

Seen these yet? Ceracoat finish and Greyboe stocks, 5R barrels. I guess it something new for this up coming year. 270,06,7mm,300wm. MSRP $1150. Not to happy with the choices of calibers, maybe a 280 or a 260 would be nice.

Last edited:
I got the email from Remington on these a few days ago. Kind of interesting, but not in those calibers, for me anyway. I already have a 700 in 270 that kills deer just fine and was at least half the cost.

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterThe four most boring chamberings, thanks Remington! They would kill it with the 6.5 Creed or .260 Rem.
Yeah I saw it too. Sometimes you gotta be careful calling them boring, I have had people here near coronary over it.
scared.gif

Although the calibers listed are "boring", they can all be bought at Wal Mart or most local mom and pop stores. Pretty good idea on Remingtons part.

30/06 will kill everything in the lower 48.....I don't care much for the rest of em though...

Course it doesn't matter much what I think because I don't hunt big game any more and I've pretty much given up on Remington...

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAlthough the calibers listed are "boring", they can all be bought at Wal Mart or most local mom and pop stores. Pretty good idea on Remingtons part.

Kind of a catch 22. I don't think the guy who buys ammo at Walmart is buying this rifle. He is going to buy one of the lower priced models. The guy that is interested or at least willing to spend that much on a rifle is probably looking for some of the more "interesting" cartridges. I like the rifle and think one in 6.5 Creed would be the first production rifle I have bought in a looooong time.

Originally Posted By: jdunham
Originally Posted By: pyscodogAlthough the calibers listed are "boring", they can all be bought at Wal Mart or most local mom and pop stores. Pretty good idea on Remingtons part.

Kind of a catch 22. I don't think the guy who buys ammo at Walmart is buying this rifle. He is going to buy one of the lower priced models. The guy that is interested or at least willing to spend that much on a rifle is probably looking for some of the more "interesting" cartridges. I like the rifle and think one in 6.5 Creed would be the first production rifle I have bought in a looooong time.

What I meant is if a guy with say a 270 or 06 got out in po dunk junction and realized he left his ammo at home, he could go to Wal Mart and get a box of ammo and not spoil his trip. Tell me you've never forgot anything on a hunting trip!!

Lol, no I got what you were saying. Those are the bread and butter calibers for sure. I think they are covered on the long action, hoping to see some decent choices in short action calibers. Time will tell.

Actually my favorite rifle is a .280 that is a model 700 that I built to almost the exact specs of the AWR. I think the blueprint for the rifle is perfect. I hope it sticks around.

Originally Posted By: jdunham

None of us guys that buy ammo at Walmart can even afford a Remington 700! Those guys at Remington are all a bunch of morons that don't know how to sell rifles at all. They should just give it up. I bet they are going to go out of business soon.

Last edited:
I remember Field and Stream ratings a couple of years ago for most whitetail deer kills:

1.) 30-30 win
2.) 30-06 springfield

Can't be too boring guys. As far as going out of business, don't see it.

Last edited:
Companies usually roll out a new product in their most popular selling calibers not in the latest caliber of the year. In most cases people quickly learn that the "new" caliber isn't all that special and loose interest and stop buying. I'm sure there will be more calibers to follow, probably a line of tried and true short action calibers then the latest internet sensation calibers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brdeanoYou could build that rifle for the same money or less, and have it in any chambering you desire.

close to it anyway!

Back