Remington 700 SPS Tactical or Rock River Predator Upper???

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeIs your point best proven at a distance???

In theory, yes. If your 100 yd groups open up by 1 MOA, then your 400 yd groups will also open up. When I said my accuracy decreased, I was talking about going from 3/4 -1 MOA to 1-2 MOA at 100 yds. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It was just enough that I could notice the difference. Mostly in random fliers that opened up the groups. IMO it is not the pressure on the barrel that necessarily hurts accuracy, it is the INCONSISTENT pressure that affects accuracy. Having a barrel that rubs part of the time and free floats other times will tend to show inconsistent grouping vs a barrel that is always free floated or always rubbing.

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeI would hate to take a rifle that shot like that and mess it up, the whole idea of " I have to fix it until it's broke."

This why you shoot the gun before you decide to work on it. If you buy the gun and you are happy with the accuracy, then don't change a thing. If my 700 would have shot 1/2 MOA out of the box I probably wouldn't have done a thing to it. But I wasn't happy with 1-1.5 MOA. Like most shooters, I'm obsessed with getting the most out of my rifles. I wanted more!
tongue.gif
I knew the gun could do better and changing the stock seemed like a reasonable means to gain accuracy. You don't have to buy a $700 McMillan or Manners. I sold my Hogue for $70 and bought a B&C for $155. To me it was worth the $85 investment. I still only have around $650 invested in the rifle.

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeYou talked about "cranking down" on a bi pod or putting an exorbitant amount of forward pressure on the stock showing the change in accuracy, but what makes you do that, I just want to hunt with it, not see if it shoots well with my buddy standing on the barrel.
Perhaps I should have worded my response better. I just meant that when the gun was on the table the barrel was free floating. When I put a bi-pod on, laid in prone position with a little forward pressure on the stock, the barrel was rubbing the stock. I usually shoot prone with a rear bag and like to apply forward pressure to the rifle to "lock" my body and rifle into place. No particular reason, just works for me I guess.
smile.gif
My observations of the stock were just that, my observations. Your shooting style and experiences may be different. But from what I've read, I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeMy point may have been made a bit facetiously, but the point is still there, is a touching stock on a sub 1/2 moa $500 rifle a good enough reason for the average hunter to be changing things??? A stock and having it installed will dang near run you the cost of the gun.

Absolutely not! If your stock rifle will shoot 1/2 MOA then I wouldn't change a thing. Refer to my above response regarding stocks. You don't have to spend a ton of money on a stock. Many people have seen great results with B&C and HS Precision stocks. It is an easy change that you can do at home. Unbolt one, bolt on another. I haven't even bedded mine yet. That is a little more permanent experiment that I haven't quite committed to yet. As far as the Remington being a 1/2 MOA shooter out of the box. Keep in mind, that the previously mentioned review was most likely shot by an individual that is a better shot than most, with match grade ammo. Will you be using match grade ammo all the time? I bet if he used run of the mill hunting ammo his average group size would not have been .466. Also, the groups he shows are all .3's but his average is 1/2 MOA. Must have shot a few 3/4 MOA groups to average things out.
smile.gif

I'm not good at typing sarcasm/humor, so I apologize if any part of my response seems harsh. I'm just trying to be helpful.
smile.gif
I don't think you will be disappointing in the SPS. My opinions aside, I've rarely read a bad review on these rifles.

Last edited:
I liked that response, cleared many things up well.

As far as ammo goes, yes, I would shoot that if it was giving me that accuracy.

In the article, he does say he shot other groups that were bigger then those .3s, however he attributed it to shooter error as opposed to gun error, doesn't make it true, guess you never know, but nontheless, he got a shooter.

The inconsistency in the touching, messes with accuracy, is it because it messes with the harmonics and that is what causes it, or is it in reguards to the pressure changing point of aim??
Would the Limb Saver Barrel de resonater help out with the effect the stock has on accuracy???

Thanks

Calling4life, I was taught to shoot with a carry sling (I prefer it to sticks) and found that with many composite stocks it can be detrimental to accuracy if the stock flexes sideways..as the amount of pressure is never constant...

I've been taking some informal coaching for "benchrest" type shooting from a national level shooter, using a bipod, and he advocates putting forward pressure on the weapon on the bipod to assist in stability, where many "bag" shooters will position the rifle forward in the rest to reduce the pressure on the forearm portion of the weapon..the practice with the bipod will also put a lot of pressure on a composite stock..

For general hunting situations, I'm not sure how much effect any stock flex will actually have on the rifle,,, but for those of us that are anal about accuracy,,, it's just another 'serious' factor..
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeThe inconsistency in the touching, messes with accuracy, is it because it messes with the harmonics and that is what causes it, or is it in regards to the pressure changing point of aim?? Would the Limb Saver Barrel de resonater help out with the effect the stock has on accuracy???

To be honest, I don't really know. lol. Might be a small POA shift that goes unnoticed or it could be a harmonics thing. Maybe even a little of both. I haven't done enough testing and research to make any conclusive statements. I've just seen the results downrange and found a few things that tend to work best for me. Everyone seems to have a slightly different opinion and experience.
smile.gif

Quote:Would the Limb Saver Barrel de resonater help out with the effect the stock has on accuracy??? I tried one on my Savage 16 (pencil barrel) and didn't see any improvement, but the rifle was shooting really good before..

I talked to the company rep at the NRA meeting in St Louis and he indicated that they only really would benefit rifles that were have a more dramatic problem with groups...but if a rifle was grouping pretty good, you wouldn't see much, if any, difference..

It's a little like Snake Oil...If you believe in it..it might do some good, but if you don't, then don't waste your money...

OK I LOVE my ars, but I have a few bolt action guns I LOVE. Choice is purpose driven. I Bought the Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. THe Hogue stock SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!
It had way to much flex and had horrible accuracy. It shot 3 inch groups at 25 yds. At 100 it would not touch the paper. I changed the Hogue out for a B&C stcok and it now shoots .5 in 5 shot groups at 100 yds. We took the hogue stock and put it on a 700 .223. Same problem, it shot 3 inch groups at 50 yds.

I have NEVER had a problem with accuracy with my ars.
That is with all brands.

From my lesson, STAY AWAY from Hogue tocks!!!

Last edited:
Back