Remington 870 - carrier wont lift

im4flight

I own a remington 870 and the carrier? not sure if that is the right name. The part that loads the shell from the mag to the chamber is not auto lifting.

When I push it up once the shell is on it on the back stroke it still loads the shell and goes back down as normal.

It isn't moving at all, not even a little bit, but pops up manually (when pushed) without any hesitation.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is this just a spring or something?

According to the diagram I am reading it is the carrier. Could be follower though.

It is the flap on the end of the trigger assembly that lifts the shell from the mag to angle up into the chamber when you pump it.

It's the carrier (also called "elevator" by some old-timers). You were right the first time.

I can't remember off the top what elevates the carrier in the 870 (it's midnight, sorry), but the simple answer is that the 870 isn't very complicated, so if you tear it apart, you'll likely be able to see what's broken, or disengaged that isn't lifting the carrier (or allowing it to raise).

The carrier dog, located on the right hand side of the trigger assembly is what actuates the carrier. The dog is actuated by the bolt. Look at the carrier dog.

OK, I dropped the trigger assembly out again.

When I manually pull back on the carrier dog nothing happens. But when I lift the carrier up, it does push back the carrier dog.

So is that the carrier dog spring causing that?

I don't have a photobucket account to can't load pics.

So I think it safe to say it is not the bolt, because the carrier dog is not activating the carrier right.

Definitly a dog carrier problem. Just not sure exactly what.

Originally Posted By: im4flightSo I think it safe to say it is not the bolt, because the carrier dog is not activating the carrier right.

Definitly a dog carrier problem. Just not sure exactly what.

If you simply pull the dog back, it will not actuate the carrier. It will act more like a hammer. Push down on the dog while you pull it back. This will actuate the carrier.

I will pull mine apart, and post pics if you need.

Originally Posted By: im4flightWhen I push down it does activate it like apparently it should?

What does that mean?

To me, this would mean that the bolt is not actuating the dog for some reason.

Do the springs in the dog feel like they are working?

I do have a what I think is called a detent (looks like a half moon washer) on the same side as the dog carrier, but not on the opposite side as well, am I missing one?

I was reading the the slide and or bolt activate the dog carrier, and if the detents are not on, it may not make enough contact?

The springs do have a nice snap when I manually work it.

Back