Rifle build?

I only build customs in stuff I can’t get off the shelf, like the Lapua rounds. If I wanted a 223 or a 270, for example, I’d just buy a Sako, Tikka or maybe even a Model 70.

Skip the HS/BC stocks and go striaight to Manners/McMillan.

Don’t build your rifle too heavy. A number 4 or 5 is more than plenty.

Manners EH3 is my favorite stock for a coyote rifle. I should be posting my new one up sometime soon.

Long barrels lose their appeal as soon as you take them hunting.

But a custom action FOR SURE.

Any good barrel will do. I’d suggest a Bartlein, Krieger or Brux.

Spend good money on an Optic. Zeiss over Leupold is my opinion.

223 isn’t and never has been enough gun for coyote (best get a package of popcorn cooking)

Factory ammo (22/250) will shoot great from a custom if you try a few and see what it likes.

I use Jon Beanland. I can show you some of his work if you want.

Tim's right. First thing you need to do is establish a budget. If money is no object, do whatever makes you happy. I can tell you that the "don't do a custom and shoot factory ammo" isn't completely accurate
wink.gif
. I have to admit, this is the first rifle I shot factory ammo in, in a long time. I do reload for everything I shoot.
35637745111_a22ba83624_b_d.jpg

6.5 CM shooting factory Hdy AG ammo which you can buy for less than $1/round.

If you know what factory ammo you want to run, set the gun up for that. If you want to use a R700, I like to buy them at Walmart and sell the other parts to make some money back on the action. After going both ways on the receivers, I wouldn't waste the money to "blueprint" the action; square the face, a quality trigger with a good barrel and chamber job and it WILL shoot. As for the different barrel manufactures, I personally like cut rifling, but in all honesty, just pick one. I have bought barrels before based on availability and not been disappointed in performance.

Of the stocks you mentioned, I have run all but the Manners. I prefer the McM and if I had to choose between and H-S and a B&C, it would be the B&C...only because HS palm swells are a bit excessive for my taste and believe the B&C are a bit better value. If you have specific questions regarding McM's, give Tim Titus a call at No Off Season. He is a sponsor here and a McM dealer and can hook you up . Heck, if you want to order a stock through Tim, he only requires a $150 deposit if that is way you want to go and just to have it paid for before it's complete and ships. My last one took about 5 months.

If you can afford the custom, I say build it. It is nice to get exactly what you want in a rifle. For the rifles I have built, I couldn't have walked into a LGS and bought anything like them, nor ordered one and am to the point now where going into a shop to handle rifles, it is hard to find anything that interests me.

I can tell you that I have 2 Tikka's that I have dropped into McM stocks and neither one disapoints. You are still forced to play the game of finding a barrel contour, length and twist you can live with.

To me a custom rifle should be exactly what you want if you can't find it elsewhere. For me, that was a lightweight, coyote/deer rifle with the ability to run it alongside the best in competition. I wanted it mag fed with a built in 20 MOA rail which pushed me to a custom action pretty quick.

I looked at and played with Bighorn, Defiance, Stiller, BAT and Surgeon actions and after the smith's recommendation of Surgeon, that's what I went with for my use. Loved the Defiance but to me it's more of a benchrest action, too nice and too tight of tolerances for a field gun. The Bighorns were just coming out and the wait was unknown.

I handled a lot of stocks between McM and Manners. Loved the thumbhole on the Manners T5A compared to anything else.

To help out with weight, I went with a full carbon fiber shell on the stock and a Hardy carbon barrel as per my smith's recommendation as well. Initially I wanted to go short barrel but after looking at the chambering, I figured that a 24" barrel would let me get the most velocity I could out of the 6.5CM without being too awkward.

I agree with everyone above saying your budget dictates what you get but after one custom build, it's tough to even look at any factory rifles. It at least makes me want to put new stocks on all my other rifles.

And I fully agree with CZ... a 223 is not enough for coyotes. 22-250 minimum. I've shot too many coyotes with a 223 that haven't dropped on the spot and have run off for half a mile.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whyWinny, that is way to nice to put to hard use in my opinion. That should find its place in a showcase and used for special occasions.

The photos are from two different rifles.

There's no use in having them if you don't use them. Still, they're just not something that you normally throw in the back seat of your truck.

Originally Posted By: Smokin Barrel............Of the stocks you mentioned, I have run all but the Manners. I prefer the McM and if I had to choose between and H-S and a B&C, it would be the B&C...only because HS palm swells are a bit excessive for my taste and believe the B&C are a bit better value.

Not shilling for H-S Precision by any means, but not all HS stocks have palm swells. That comment seems to be a commonly quoted internet myth.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog223 not enough for coyotes is another internet myth.

That one reminds me of the one that says that there's no use in having a custom rifle built if all you're going to shoot in it is factory ammo.
laugh.gif

Well, I actually didn't say that. I said I wouldn't. The OP and everyone else can do what they want with their money. It was just my opinion saying I would just buy a nice factory built rifle. Never said a custom WON"T shoot factory ammo. Personally, if it was me, spending my money on a custom built rifle, I would learn to reload my own ammo. Others can do what ever they want.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWell, I actually didn't say that. I said I wouldn't. The OP and everyone else can do what they want with their money. It was just my opinion saying I would just buy a nice factory built rifle. Never said a custom WON"T shoot factory ammo. Personally, if it was me, spending my money on a custom built rifle, I would learn to reload my own ammo. Others can do what ever they want.

Thanks. I'm feeling better now.
thumbup.gif

It's too bad that they don't have a crawfish smilie here for times like this.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Smokin Barrel............Of the stocks you mentioned, I have run all but the Manners. I prefer the McM and if I had to choose between and H-S and a B&C, it would be the B&C...only because HS palm swells are a bit excessive for my taste and believe the B&C are a bit better value.

Not shilling for H-S Precision by any means, but not all HS stocks have palm swells. That comment seems to be a commonly quoted internet myth.

Winny's right and my comment was a bit misleading. For the stocks I owned with the features I was looking for, HS palm swell was just a bit too much for me....I was looking for that feature BTW. Theirs felt a little unnatural to me.

IMO, when it comes to stocks, you just need to try and handle which ever ones you are considering to know that can be difficult sometimes.

I am a Remington guy just because I have always owned Remington’s and they have all shot pretty well. I was initially looking at the Remington LTR in .223 but a lot of people got me nervous about Remington now. I was also looking at the SPS Tactical as I had one of them before that I put in a HS PSS take off that was about perfect for calling in my neck of the woods. Which lead me to the LTR as I like the looks of fluted barrels and it is .5 pound lighter than the Tactical. I would just by a Tikka but don’t like the idea of a small .223 round in a long Action (in my head I’m sure).

As for budget, I’m going to shoot approximately a dozen coyotes a year probably. I just like quality. I want something that is accurate and has some “cool” factor mostly.

My 223AI started life as a Rem LTR 223 that I bought new some years ago. When it still had the factory barrel it shot very well for a factory rifle and the trigger was excellent, in fact it's the only rifle I own that hasn't had the trigger tuned or replaced. I don't know what trigger they use in the LTR's but I've never touched it and it's a crisp 2.25lbs.

As for the 223 not being enough gun to shoot coyotes, if that is the case, someone needs to tell the one I shot a few hours ago that because he folded up like a house of cards in a windstorm. lol

I love kicking that particular hornets nest. Facts are facts.... I want newbies to know they’re going to be undergunned if they ever get to the point they’re calling in a lot of multiples.

For recreation, it wouldn’t matter if you shot a 22 mag. Losing one is no big deal.

In point if fact, probably wouldn’t lose 1 of 20 with it. Maybe 50. But the question is for me, which one? What was he worth? $5-10K? Why take a chance?

Never ever seen one get up from a 22-250. Personally... I’m shooting a 22x47 this year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogWell, I actually didn't say that. I said I wouldn't. The OP and everyone else can do what they want with their money. It was just my opinion saying I would just buy a nice factory built rifle. Never said a custom WON"T shoot factory ammo. Personally, if it was me, spending my money on a custom built rifle, I would learn to reload my own ammo. Others can do what ever they want.

And right you are too, Bill. I agree with you 100% on this one. You said it about as well as needs to be said.
thumbup1.gif

I shot 5 coyotes on one stand with a factory Kimber Montana chambered in 223. I could not find the fifth, so that obviously means a factory 223 won't work as a calling rifle.
smile.gif

5QXfWO8l.jpg

I have factory rifles, converted factory (semi custom) and full custom rifles. It boils down to how nice or special do you want it? Which follows with how much do you want to spend? You can't always get a factory rifle in the setup you may want.

Back