Ring Lapping - Need advice!

FishSqueezer

Fellas,

I'm in the process of lapping some Leupold rings (which I'm thoroughly impressed by!) for my new CZ 527. This is my first attempt at lapping rings because I typically use Burris Signature Zee's. Below are a couple of top-down photos of the alignment bars mounted in my rings following a good round of lapping. The bar points are vertically in-line, but horizontally they are still slightly off (shown below). I've smoothed out ~ 75% of the inside of the rings and I'm reluctant to take off anymore steel.

Would you ring lapping experts call it good at this point or keep going for perfect alignment???

Thanks for the help!

zoomed.png

20140528_204518.jpg

Your rings may not be perfectly parallel to each other, the only way to know would be to take a dial caliper and measure them from one side to the other to find out. Sometimes you can loosen the base screw just enough to move the ring into alignment and re tighten. You might try that on that front ring and see if it helps.

Overall though if your lapping bar is making good contact on both rings, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I use that as more of a gauge than the points..

Originally Posted By: fw707The points of the bars are totally useless for showing ring alignment.

Why are they useless for showing alignment?

The way I've always done it...use a single 1.000" chrome shaft to 'line up the rings'. Lap the rings to take off any rough surfaces on the inner halves and obtain the best fit.

The OPs top down picture clearly shows the rings are not 'lined up', assuming the bars are secure in the rings.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHOriginally Posted By: fw707The points of the bars are totally useless for showing ring alignment.

Why are they useless for showing alignment?

Because the points can be touching perfectly with the bars out of alignment.

Turn each bar 180 degrees and put them back in the rings. If the flat ends line up and come together like a solid bar, then the rings are lined up.

All,

I appreciate the posts and advice. First, I chose Leupold over CZ rings because I read good things about them. My gun did not come with CZ rings from the factory.

In my initial post, the rings were snug around the alignment bars. Prior to lapping, I attempted to align the bars and tighten my rings to the integrated bases on the receiver - it didn't work. The rings went where they wanted (crooked) as I tightened them down.

I measured the gap between rings with a caliper - sure enough they were off (2.582 vs 2.586"). I then reversed the alignment bars. You will notice that the back side of the bars are not ground to the same diameter, but they are not aligned either. As is, it appears my scope would experience torque to some extent.

The only other thing I can think of is to insert the lapping bar into one ring or the other and attempt to "straighten things out" a bit. I'm still open to any other suggestions (including quit being so anal and just mount the dang scope).
smile.gif

20140529_174859.jpg

20140529_174753.jpg

Yes, I always insert the lapping bar into the rings BEFORE I start lapping them, then tighten things down, it helps with the initial alignment.

Originally Posted By: FishSqueezer
I'm still open to any other suggestions (including quit being so anal and just mount the dang scope).
smile.gif

Just get rid of the whole dang Leupold system, or just resign yourself to the fact that you are going to be fighting this fight from now on.

When you compare the Leupold stuff to the Picatinny rails and quality rings available nowadays, they are total junk.

Hey Skinney,

I just about PM'd you last night. Thanks for the video. The rings that I'm trying to lap are solid steel, so do you think a bit more lapping (as shown in your video) might straighten things out?

Thanks!

No can do. Burris does not make Sign Zee rings for the CZ. Prior to this I even bought a DIP Picatinny Adapter Rail and had medium Burris Sign Zee rings on it, but it placed the scope awfully high off the barrel.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but I'm beginning to miss my Burris Sign Zee rings!!! I'll probably just say screw it and mount the scope.

Steel rings lap very slowly. You're doing fine, but you're not quite finished. I would lap until both saddles are completely lapped. You don't have to remove the finish down to white metal everywhere. As long as the finish is polished, it's done.

Originally Posted By: FishSqueezerHey Skinney,

I just about PM'd you last night. Thanks for the video. The rings that I'm trying to lap are solid steel, so do you think a bit more lapping (as shown in your video) might straighten things out?

Thanks!

Yes, I would keep lapping them, just be sure to constantly check your ring space with your optic mounted, you don't want to remove too much material.

Originally Posted By: skinneyYes, I always insert the lapping bar into the rings BEFORE I start lapping them, then tighten things down, it helps with the initial alignment. This!

Besides, how do you know those allignment bar tips are machined true? One solid rod (lapping rod moved back and forth) tells the truth better than an imperfect 2-piece machined set.

I would start over and do like skinny says, and then lap some more. Trial fit your scope in the rings with the rings just barely snug, if the scope body slides back and forth easily you're probably good. If the scope body binds up or "sticks" you're not done yet.

Fellas,

I sure appreciate all the help with this project and I wanted to give you a quick update.

Following some of your posts I remounted the front ring with the solid lapping bar in place (after I had already done some lapping). Unfortunately, the front ring would not give up it's crooked position. I then gave the rings another round of lapping as some of you suggested. The scope/ring contact should be much improved, but it appears that I failed to align the bars with the lapping kit. I cleaned the rings and put 20 in/lbs of torque on the rings. There is just enough clearance to slip a piece of notebook paper between the ring halves, so I won't be able to do anymore lapping. I finally said screw it and mounted the scope - here it is. Hopefully there won't be enough torque to damage the scope...

Thanks again!

20140530_202833_resized.jpg

20140531_172226_resized.jpg

20140531_163826_resized.jpg

Back