Rock River Arms Questions

I bought my first coyote gun a little over a year ago. It was a LAR-15 NM A2/A4 20" barrel. It was decked out (bought it used) fancy magpul stock great shooter. I put a nice Burris scope on it with the recticles that matched perfectly to the bullet drop. I wanted it to be a great coyote gun. I shot a couple of coyotes with it. It was just plain to heavy. I love the rock rivers. I sold that one and got another Rock river R3 competition. It has an 18" fluted barrel' I had it all done in camo at Hoyt. I've got a Nikon M 223 BDC scope on it love it. Killed over a dozen coyotes with it. I have a saker suppressor ordered to go on it. Should have it out of jail about February

Also bought another Rock River ehide 16" barrel awesome gun. Have an OSS suppressor should be out of jail any day now. I've killed several coyotes with this one. I have a Burris 536scope on it and love it too. Trouble is I sometimes can't decide which one to take hunting.

I would suggest you decide on a gun. (I like rock rivers) go onto gun broker lean about the site and buy one. I've had great luck so far every time. I have bought two guns for myself and several guns for friends on gun broker.
I would pay attention to weight and get the one you like and live with it, shoot it A lot, and it will become part of you, sorry I got a bit carried away and started sounding like a gun nerd ! I am for sure a coyote nerd. Happy hunting!

We live in a day and age where quality is quite equal when comparing top tier ARs (i.e. barrels and accuracy); including RRA which I am a fan. But where you need to pay attention is with the trigger which unfortunately the factor trigger is often times the limiting factor. While the RRA 2-stage trigger is good, a timney or giessele is better. Anyone with an AR and serious about accuracy will install an aftermarket trigger (easy to do).

Both my guns mentioned 2 posts above (with pics) have guaranteed 3/4 MOA from the factory and are extremely accurate. They also have the RRA 2 stage trigger. I have never thought about getting a different trigger. I can see how that may help. Can you give me a bit more info on your choice of trigger and where you get it, cost and such. Thanks for mentioning that. If it even made a difference in your group of 1/4" at 100 Yds shooting off a bench it could be four inches or greater in the field shooting off sticks. Your thoughts????

Like I said, the RRA 2 stage is a very good trigger but the Timney is better. You can order the trigger pull weight you prefer with the Timney ($200). The Giessele is quite a bit more.

I currently have a RRA coyote rifle and carbine. One has a Timney the other has the 2 stage trigger and yes, there is a difference. I have owned several Timneys in the past and never had a single issue or complaint.

If can consistently get 3/4 MOA accuracy I would not fix what is not broken. However, if you have a couple hundred dollars to burn .......

I have a RR Fred Eichler that comes with chrome RR trigger,(2 stage)that breaks at 4.2lbs.My Windham has a single stage timney 3lb drop in (breaks at 3.4 lbs).Although I like the timney I personally wouldn't spend the xtra $$ to upgrade the RR. When you order from RR they build from scratch anyway so any of there rifles can be upgraded at the factory. As for barrel length...I can consistently shoot 1/2-3/4" at 1 & 200 yds with 16" barrel.Ive never had a rifle that couldn't out shoot me.Buy the best Optics you can afford.In my humble opinion that is the best money you will spend

Originally Posted By: g BoBoth my guns mentioned 2 posts above (with pics) have guaranteed 3/4 MOA from the factory and are extremely accurate.

RRA is an accurate gun and they do say 3/4 MOA on some of them. I have never seen the word guaranteed on any of them.

Originally Posted By: Ten XI have a RR Fred Eichler that comes with chrome RR trigger,(2 stage)that breaks at 4.2lbs.My Windham has a single stage timney 3lb drop in (breaks at 3.4 lbs).Although I like the timney I personally wouldn't spend the xtra $$ to upgrade the RR. When you order from RR they build from scratch anyway so any of there rifles can be upgraded at the factory. As for barrel length...I can consistently shoot 1/2-3/4" at 1 & 200 yds with 16" barrel.Ive never had a rifle that couldn't out shoot me.Buy the best Optics you can afford.In my humble opinion that is the best money you will spend

If I could shoot 1/2"-3/4" at 200 yards I would change a thing either.

Pardon me reb8600 I checked the RRA website and it doesn't say the word guaranteed, but it says 3/4 MOA so I think that's what they indicated, but HEY! I don't mean to play on words. They still shoot great. When there is a miss I can personally take the blame.

To the folks with the R3 Competion guns, what ammo do they seem to like and what kind of groups are you getting?

Just built an AR with the R3 upper, looking to try some different ammo when I get it out again. So far just shot 20rds of 55gr FMJ to check everything and get the scope close. Gonna try Hornady V-maxs and some winchester 55gr Varmint X and soft points.

Last edited:
Fairshase, when my RRA 2-stage delivers one hole 3/8" groups, I really see no need to spend any more money on a different trigger, (but that's just me) to try to get a tighter group.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannFairshase, when my RRA 2-stage delivers one hole 3/8" groups, I really see no need to spend any more money on a different trigger, (but that's just me) to try to get a tighter group.

Guess I missed the post recommending you change your trigger
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: A_WhiteTo the folks with the R3 Competion guns, what ammo do they seem to like and what kind of groups are you getting?

Just built an AR with the R3 upper, looking to try some different ammo when I get it out again. So far just shot 20rds of 55gr FMJ to check everything and get the scope close. Gonna try Hornady V-maxs and some winchester 55gr Varmint X and soft points.

The R3 upper I had shot everything well.

I've settled in on 60 grain v-max freedom munitions 3100 FPS. I have a Nikon M 223 BDC scope on it. The scope absolutely matches the bullet drop perfectly out to 600 yards. The groups at 100 are very tight, 3/4 or better it depends on me.

i have the varmint bull barrel and i love it. yes its heavy but im not in too bad shape to haul it around and its a tack driver

RRA Advanced Tactical Hunter - w/18in barrel and 2 stage NM trigger - Hornady 75gr BTHP shoots .75in @100yds. It also likes the cheep stuff XM183 mil surplus with 1=1.5in all day long.

The middle weight 18in barrel is very well balanced and the trigger is very nice. I also like the free floating hand guard with out all of the full length rails.

And the Wylde chamber allows you to shoot the higher pressure 5.56 ammo.

Last edited:
Back