rubbed coyotes

SlickerThanSnot

you guys seeing rubbed coyotes yet?

killed 2 yesterday. both were rubbed bad enough i did not bother skinning them. guess i will hang it up for this year.

Haven't yet but I figured it was getting pretty close to that time of year where they'd be gettin that way. That's not good.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHIt may be a regional thing, but what is a "rubbed coyote" I havent heard that before? Coyotes missing fur....not mange.

Coyote staying in metal culverts lose guard hair fast during below zero weather, it frosts to the metal and breaks off when they shift position.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: Lefty SRHIt may be a regional thing, but what is a "rubbed coyote" I havent heard that before? Coyotes missing fur....not mange.

not really missing fur. just ugly fur. the flanks is the common place to see it first. fur looks more like rabbit fur than coyote fur. looks like you dragged it 40 miles on rough gravel. lol

Originally Posted By: BailThey were rubbed here 2 weeks ago.

killed 2 last friday and they both looked as good as any i killed this year. sold those 2 for $50 apiece tuesday.

think a lot depends on the kind of terrain they are in. seem to get more rubbing in weedy, brushy country than more open stuff. even ones in crp grass seem to rub earlier.

Yep, they are terrible around here, already. I think the snow cover pushed them to hunt the thickets more this season, and they lost a lot of guard hair. Tails are thin...even rat tails.

I am done for the season.

Their fur stops growing around december so as they move through the brush it starts breaking off,if there is a lot of snow and they stay above the brush it don't get damaged as fast.just natures way to get ready for spring.

Several of the ones Ive shot in the last 3 weeks have been pretty rubbed up along their sides.
I figure due to sage brush areas they are going through daily & time to start thinning of winter coats a tad.

Originally Posted By: wolftrapperYep, they are terrible around here, already. I think the snow cover pushed them to hunt the thickets more this season, and they lost a lot of guard hair. Tails are thin...even rat tails.

-
Your on the E. and dry higher Elevation side of WA. with colder Temp. winters . I am in lower valley's Elev. 'wet' NW. corner of OR .
1st I ever heard term ' Rubbed ' ? . I shoot Coyotes here all year long and all over different counties here for long time . I don't think 'rubbed' must be as prevalent occurrence here in this section of my W. corner of my State on Coyote, as it is in other regions in the N.W. . I just don't see it here in my AO.
. ( Except ) . I shot one older female couple years ago and it was all weird with hair missing on spots on 'one side' of it's body . I have seen Dogs with the Mange . It did not look like anything like the Mange , and this ( rubbed ) is what it must have been with that one Coyote .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndexFingerOriginally Posted By: wolftrapperYep, they are terrible around here, already. I think the snow cover pushed them to hunt the thickets more this season, and they lost a lot of guard hair. Tails are thin...even rat tails.

-
Your on the E. and dry higher Elevation side of WA. with colder Temp. winters . I am in lower valley's Elev. 'wet' NW. corner of OR .
1st I ever heard term ' Rubbed ' ? . I shoot Coyotes here all year long and all over different counties here for long time . I don't think 'rubbed' must be as prevalent occurrence here in this section of my W. corner of my State on Coyote, as it is in other regions in the N.W. . I just don't see it here in my AO.
. ( Except ) . I shot one older female couple years ago and it was all weird with hair missing on spots on 'one side' of it's body . I have seen Dogs with the Mange . It did not look like anything like the Mange , and this ( rubbed ) is what it must have been with that one Coyote .

It happens everywhere....you're just not aware of it. A coyote's fur deteriorates over time. It wears down to where it has little, or no commercial value.

they ALL rub at some point. some places earlier than others.

it gets real warm, they still have a winter coat on, they rub to get rid of it.

Originally Posted By: 6724it gets real warm, they still have a winter coat on, they rub to get rid of it.

can not go along with that. these rubbed coyotes i am seeing are right in the middle of the coldest temps we have had all winter. makes no sense at all.

They rub from Screwing!!!

inside the thighs, crotch area and on the belly for the males, the top of the back and the outside of the back thighs of the females.

Not the sage brush.

I usually take a good look at them all and flip them over looking if I was sloppy on the trigger, checking if male or female . Quite possible I just may not be paying attention to it . The only reason that old female stuck in my head because it was bad enough for me to take notice . No money on fur in this area either so I not skinning and looking, just tying-up the rear legs and dragging them out of the fields, mostly in the Dark and dumping .
I am kind of agreeing with one person Posted on Age . Dogs out of prime breeding, old age regression with hide and thinning and spotting loss of Fur sounds pretty sound statement .
For the most part other than intersecting with the occasion bullet or car bumper . A coyotes life here in NW. OR. valleys are pretty cushy from birth till death . They living on easy-street with plenty of food and cover and usually mild weather year round and breed like rabbit with huge acreage of agricultural lands to run . Fur is thicker or thinner different time of the year and they look pretty good from what I am see with Fur .

Any thing that strips guard hair from the animal, thins the fur. Brush is a constant. Yes, I imagine mating takes it's toll too, as does freezing to the snow. The rubbing from the snow is usually on top of the rump. I had a real problem with that in Alaskan fox. They would sit in snow, and leave hairs frozen in it when they stand up. In any case, yes, you can find individual animals that still have good fur in Feb. and March, but the majority will not grade well. Coyotes that spend most of their time in stubble, or alfalfa fields lose less than coyotes in brushy areas. It's simply wear and tear. That's why they need to grow new fur every year, to keep from going bald!

Back