Ruger Hawkeye 243 anyone

No one knows anything about the hawkeye? Maybe I should go try and get my layaway money back even if for store credit.
Daryl P.

Last edited:
Ruger makes a good gun, in the past they have been know for acceptable, but not stellar accuracy. I am hearing more and more of my buddies getting them and liking them a lot. Rugers are used a lot up here because they are dependable, so I say if you like the rifle get it and put it to the test. I would almost gauruntee it would be more than adequate for hunting accuracy, but maybe not teemy tiny hole accuracy, but you never know til you try
smile.gif

Keep us posted if youg et one and see how it shoots

Thanks. I also am looking at a WIn model 70 coyote scpecial with the blue receiver and stainless barrel in 22-250 and it has never been fired. Or maybe a model 70 in 270 and its 80,s model. Cant decide. I will ck back tomorrow to see if theres anymore comments.
Daryl P.

I'd buy the Ruger Hawkeye. My most accurate 243 was a tang model 77 in 243. I made the silly mistake of selling it to a buddy, hopefully he gets tired of it someday....

I own a new Hawkeye in 338RCM and the gun shoots amazingly well, shoots factory fodder so well I decided against handloading for it.

I'm totally sold on Ruger m77 mk II s and the 243 is one of the greatest rounds ever. I wish they still made the 260 in the stainless. I had a pre Hawkeye in 243 . It was a good shooter.

if you reload you'll love the ruger action! you can pull back the bolt like 90% of the way and grab your brass on your own. the brass doesnt go flinging out like most other actions with the spring ejector as soon as the brass clears the port.

I fought with myself for weeks over the 243 or 257 Roberts at the local gun store. Already had a 243, and the shop owner told me he really liked the 257 it simply had a little more wallop than the 243, and the 257 had the engraved floor plate, so I got that one.

You'll love it! Very sweet gun in numerous respects. If you want a little more gloss to the finish when you get it, get some cheap furniture polish, the kind that does leave a waxy buildup, hand rub it until all of the pores in the wood disappear, then run over it with a silicone gun wipe. Keeps the moisture out, and gives it just the right amount of really shiny.

i HAVE ONE OF THE NEW ONES AND LOVE IT. I DID HAVE A NEW TRIGGER PUT IN IT AND HAVE IT SET AT 2.5 lb. I LIKE IT BETTER THEN THE WINCHESTER 70 AND A LOT LES MONEYOriginally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsRuger makes a good gun, in the past they have been know for acceptable, but not stellar accuracy. I am hearing more and more of my buddies getting them and liking them a lot. Rugers are used a lot up here because they are dependable, so I say if you like the rifle get it and put it to the test. I would almost gauruntee it would be more than adequate for hunting accuracy, but maybe not teemy tiny hole accuracy, but you never know til you try
smile.gif

Keep us posted if youg et one and see how it shoots

Originally Posted By: RammerI'd buy the Ruger Hawkeye. My most accurate 243 was a tang model 77 in 243. I made the silly mistake of selling it to a buddy, hopefully he gets tired of it someday

I had a crazy accurate tang safety 243 also that my good bud now owns. I still load rounds for it. It shot this group:

100_0198.jpg

It also shoots 80gr Winny PPs real well, and 55gr Blitzkings over H380. I really like that little Ruger, but still have 3 other 243s.

Have also shot a Ruger 77 Ultra Light 243. Very small rifle, good if you hunt out of box blinds or cover a lot of ground. It averages about 1.5-2" with factory loads my friend uses. I don't think he has ever even tried any other loads in it. I'm sure it could/would do better. He uses it for short range deer and it works just fine for him.

I dialed in another buds Ultra light in 308. He runs factory 180s out of it with 1.5" groups. Short range deer, box blind. It is a LOUD little sucker, especially out of a box blind. Kicks pretty good for a 308 too. About as hard as any 308 I've shot.

I'd give the Hawkeye a test run........

Give the trigger a try before automatically assuming you need a new one. I'd read a few stories on them here on the forum, but when I bought mine it seemed nice enough to not mess with it right off the bat. Broke out the Brownells Trigger Pull Gauge, and it drops religiously at 3.5 lbs. Nice and crisp too. No creep, it's simply there! Very nice trigger on mine!!

I have one that I cannot get to shoot to my expectations. It will shoot a little over an inch with handloads and slightly worse with factory.

I haven't tried the light bullets yet so maybe that is my next load as it sounds like many here are loading those with success.

Back