Ruger precision rimfire.....

Ruger's accuracy standard for their barrels is far below the general public. I once sent back a 10/22 that wouldn't do any better than 3" at 50 yards. I got a letter back stating that it met their accuracy standard. However, one of my waterfowl hunting partners got a Ruger American Rimfire a year ago & it will shoot under 1" @ 50 with CCIs.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI think the "trick" to getting a stock rimfire to shoot is mainly in the ammo you shoot.

Went to the LGS today and bought 7 more different loads.

Aquila 40 gr subs shot the best, about 2.5" @ 50 yrds. The CCI didn't do too well, but the good news is the Aquila shot a little less than .5" out of my TacSol 10/22, so it has another option.

That is 15 different loads. Time to dump this "precision" rifle.

Just a quick update, about 7 or 8 gun shows later and I can't give this thing away, but it has made for a great conversation starter.
Gotta check some threads over @ rimfire central about bedding, barrels and other mods guys over there or trying out to get them to shoot in a "precision" manner.
tongue_smilie.gif

WOW! You think Ruger would be falling all over itself to fix this problem. I'm sure you'er not the only one with this problem. Good luck.

NRA Benefactor

I hate to hear your rifle is a lemon. I'm sure not as bad as you though. There is options if you like the rifle and want to keep it. I think there are after market barrels available for it now. Its not a great option but it is an option. As much as I like Ruger, seems accuracy is hit and miss. You either get a tack driver or a lemon.

I did see a video on youtube where a fella bedded his and went through and retorqued every screw on it to spec, helped a lot, but he went ahead ond replaced the barrel, Can't remember if it was a Shaw or Lija ($$$) and got it down to about 3/4" at 50yrds. That is a bit much for me, but I am considering a Green Mountain. I really want this thing to shoot, but for the abount of money it may potentially take I am thinking I should have gone a different route from the beggining. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI hate to hear your rifle is a lemon. I'm sure not as bad as you though. There is options if you like the rifle and want to keep it. I think there are after market barrels available for it now. Its not a great option but it is an option. As much as I like Ruger, seems accuracy is hit and miss. You either get a tack driver or a lemon.

I have one and it wasn't the greatest shooter to start with. Bedding was it's problem. Some lipstick for find the high spots or lack of, some brass shim stock, working with action screw torque and ammo testing has it doing very well now. I can depend on CCI-SV to put four in a ragged hole and almost always one flyer to open the group at 50 yards. Aguila SV does better and at less money and their pistol match is even better than the other two. Most use aluminum tape for the bedding fix I believe but I didn't have any and did have brass shim stock. Other than the sliding part of the butt being a little sloppy I find the chassis which is made from nylon I believe to be fine. I fixed the wiggle with a shim cut from a clear plastic jar which was just the right thickness and isn't at all noticeable. All in all I'm happy with the rifle. It's not a Vudoo but isn't meant to be.

I have some higher grade ammo to test if the wind conditions and my schedule ever co-inside. It's mostly a wind problem as it just won't slow down.

Last edited:
Never liked Ruger rifles,every one I had three,before I wised up was a dud. I'll stick with Tikka,CZ,and TC,all shoot phenomenal right out of the box.There's more expensive rifles that make claims of match grade ,guaranteed,hair splitting at best.My Tikka T1X shoots 1/4 at 50 yards with CCI velocitor enough said.Good luck.

Back