Scandinavian hunting adventures! (Updates along the pages, lots of pics)

That is a great post and wonderful pictures. I love to read about hunting in different lands.

I am wondering if you could get into the hobby of reloading your ammunition? I was thinking that if you have one rifle, your .308, then maybe a handload of a lighter bullet such as a 110 grain. Maybe it would not cause so much fur damage?

Last edited:
[beeep], anti hunting peolpe are getting on my last nerve. The lynx hunting are highly regulated in norway. For 5 countys there are only allowed to shoot 2 lynx, i know that seems stupid and thats what it is. But beer in mind that norway is quite the small country. And now the idiots has filed a complain to the national wildlife agency too reduce the number of lynx to shoot.... But the chase is all the fun with hound hunting so we will still go out! Picked 2 martens out of the traps to day. Fresh snow on the ground to day, so migth get time for a fox this weekend
smile.gif

No pictures of the martens, with -25C my iphone was not in a good mode. Did not have time to skin them so they are in the freccer, will give you som pics when they are skinned
smile.gif
We are allowed to trap wolverines in cage traps made of wood. Had a funny meeting with a moose cow and calf right behind the barn just now when i went to check the traps, did not get a good picture in the light from the snowmobile.

Here is a picture of an empty trap.

010BE436-366D-4BDF-A356-2732E10A2E40-979-0000008666094F77.jpg

First called in fox.

nr1ever_zps69122138.jpg

Second called in.

nr32010_zps81294c37.jpg

Wolverin tracking.

DSC_0032-1_zps5fbc1bc8.jpg

Lynx tracking.

DSC_00532_zps36dd43f5.jpg

A few bait foxes.

DSC_0001_zpsebe6b85a.jpg

DSC_0046_zpsb8b4244f.jpg

Last edited:
Hunting is really slow at the time, wolverine season ended with no luck as expected. Been out with the dogs a few times, no luck. Here's from when the plotthound ran the fox for 3 hours before the fox went into a dent.

Last edited:
So yesterday we headed out to try some fox fun with a young pup. We made a line of shooters around the fox witch we suspected too be laying on a ridge, tracks inn and no one out. The dog headed along the trail, but the fox went into a dent before she could catch up with it. After a while one of the guys say he has found night tracks of an lynx. I was on fire, my hopes was sky high..
Let the dog on to the tracks, and i moved along helping her over some fences. Hoping she might catch up with the cat, the hill was getting steeper and steeper, to the point i had to grab on to threes to move. I suspect we caught the lynx laying in the sun on a cliff and she had heard us and moved along. I was hanging on a cliff with some old threes when i looked down and realized that i was playing with my life, and i would sacrifice a LOT for a chance at shooting a lynx, but not my life. The tracks went inn under a cliff between 2 and 3 meter high and suddenly stopped, she had jumped right up. I have seen it before but it amazes me every time. Light was fading and we had along ways to climb down.

522574_133883113456021_920801403_n.jpg

487391_133883076789358_353777844_n.jpg

Hi , nice to hear from another part of the world. Do you sell your furs and what are the prices for furs where you are? When I was your age we had lots of foxes but now the coyotes have chased them away and they are kind of rare to see for me now. Nothing more beautiful than a good red fox. Jim

Hi.
No, i don't sell any of it. I have only skinned a couple of the foxes i have shot but those i keep. If they have a nice tail i skin it out and keep it. Normally since i only have two rifles and bout are large calibers the holes ruin most of the skin.
smile.gif

Welcome Norsky. I'm new to the forum myself. Its awesome to see posts from another country. I've been to Tromso norway two times years ago but unfortunately wasnt able to hunt but man what beautiful country - I need to come back again. So awesome. Nice foxes for sure. stay on them lynx and keep the posts coming! Also love the Tikka - I shoot the Tikka in 22.250 (much nicer on skins:)

The only norwegian I learned while i was there was "Flutta Dit Ravhol!" which i believe means move out of the way you Ahole... LOL. Might've been the crowd I was hanging out with at the time...

I'm curious about your gun laws in Norway. If you don't mind, tell us a bit about that - what you can have and can't have, what restrictions and so forth.

is a pleasure reading your story. nice pictures also.
don't worry about your spelling. its better than some americans
smile.gif

Sure, 6mm06. Too get a normal gun license (Bolt rifles, Huting approved semi autos and shotguns) You have to pass a hunting course and exam. From your 16 can register a gun on your own name if the parents or guardian signs and verify for you.
The local police station can approve or decline the license.
Too own handguns or AR type rifles there are some more work. You have to be a member of a shooting club that's shoot competition and be over 21 of age, 24 for AR's. And now they are talking about a full semi auto ban and gunamnesty...

You all keep on fighting for your 2 amendment! We don't have something like that so they change the gunlaws pretty much how they want....
frown.gif

Hunting is still going slooooow...
thumbdown.gif
Been out with the dogs a few times the last week, but no luck. Had a close call with a moose cow and calf, heard them coming closer in the tick forest. Suddenly they were on top of me, a little to close for me so i said hi to the cow and she freaked out and as she turned her but touch the shotgun barrel... gives you a idea of how close she got. After the moose had passed by and the dog had chased the fox in the wrong direction (.. stupid dog
lol.gif
) a raven flew by, took a shot at it.. guess what i missed
cursing.gif

FF926924-DF7D-46ED-AA48-6D0891084901-2012-000002DCD16C3ECB.jpg

Were the moose came inn

75A42659-06CC-4FBF-9862-86EFECFECD50-2012-000002DCCC6EAD27.jpg

The plotthound is excited

EC59CC13-C68E-4C2F-A01B-B923F2CA0F7F-2012-000002DCA525B959.jpg

Back