Shooting Over the Fence

It would depend on who it is and the situation.

There are people that border our property on the north. I gave them permission to retrieve an elk, within days they accused me of harrassing their clients and staff. I had not been within 1/2 mile of any of them. After that I told the DOW that they would NOT be allowed under any circumstances to retrieve ANYTHING after that. The very next year they entered the property without permission to retrieve an elk, they did not even try to get permission. The hunter and the guide were both cited for hunting on private property without permission.

Property owner on the other side this year called and said they had a wounded bull and asked to follow it on to our property. I said sure, go ahead. I was a little dismayed to find out a week later that they actually had no blood trail to our fence. I found the dead elk on their property shortly thereafter.

Originally Posted By: BUSHBUSTER46.... to get in trouble for trespassing could cause me to lose other property, I'm not going to go down that road. Period !!!

Yep

From an educated coyote point of view, if hunters on the neighboring land call a coyote off my place to the fence line I would rather them kill it, than let it run off being more call shy. Deer on the other hand is a different story...

Originally Posted By: MCaryOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: 6724the only time it would be of any question if it was across a fence, then across another fence to shoot from property you can hunt on to property you can hunt on with property you cant hunt on in between. but that is a pretty rare situation.

if someone shoots anything on my side of the fence, even if was previously wounded, they will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible.

So, if someone shoots a coyote, wounds it, it runs 300 yards and crosses your fence and dies and the hunter crawls under your fence to retrieve it, you will prosecute?

Wrong question. If someone shoots a coyote, wounds it, it runs 300 yards and crosses your fence and dies and the hunter goes to your house and explains the situation and respectfully asks if he may go and retrieve it, would you let him?

You do not have the right to go on someone's place without permission under any circumstances with the possible exception of saving a life. If that hunter got prosecuted, the land owner is not the bad guy.

nailed it!

Back